National Signing Day Coverage

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We had a true freshman QB so yeah we didn’t win a lot. Collins has spent his first 20 months completely gutting the program and starting over from a clean slate. He could have gone the safe route and played Graham or stayed loyal to Gleason and gave him first shot. But after salting the land for 20 months he spent the last 4 building for the future. Gibbs, starter from day 1. Sims, starter from day 1. I suspect Collins will go with even more new faces next year, especially on D. Yes, it’s been ugly. I sat in the stadium and watched some miserable football. But I also see Collins is not timid. It’s ugly right now, but the reward could be a GT team that can physically match up, run and pass the ball, with a handful of special players. I’ll take that all day.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Miss State have gotten top 25 classes after poor or worse repeated seasons—Tennessee too. Tennessee spent years in futility, but kept getting high ranked classes. Nebraska has had horrible seasons and continues to get highly ranked classes. FSU has had a worse three year streak than us, players don’t like their coach, and they’re still top 25 on 247.
Winning is better than losing, but a good recruiting coach can sell a program a lot of different ways.
$$$$ bags and bags of $$$$

(you know most of us are all thinking that)

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
Maryland ILB is transferring to Tech - will fill the void left by Curry for an older player in the LB room

Said to be good in pass protection and very rangey

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
You keep saying this, but I haven’t seen you give any information to support your statement. We got a lot of transfers, but so did other teams.

FSU has added McKenzie Milton, Jermaine Johnson, and Jarques McClellion. BC has added Graham-Mobley, Lars-Woodbey, Luc Bequette, and one other guy who I didn’t recognize.

Are you including transfers that other teams are getting in your statement, or just ours? Are you just adding the recruiting rankings our transfers received out of HS to our numbers?
@TheTechGuy I know you weren't talking to me but I responded to a similar question you asked with some information to support my statement here: https://gtswarm.com/threads/national-signing-day-coverage.22780/post-770125. I did not include the guys we are getting who have less than 4 years of eligibility left and for the same reason I don't consider any of the guys other teams have gotten that have less than 4 years of eligibility as part of their recruiting class. Though I do like a couple of the guys that BC has gotten and they could be good contributors. As for FSU it's the same thing. I don't consider those transfers as part of the recruiting class in the same way I don't consider White, Cochran, and now Eley as part of ours when I rank our class. NCSU also is bringing in 3 transfers but again they are all short term players like Cochran, White, and Eley for us. Louisville's transfer, Hudson, I am on the fence considering him as part of their recruiting class and he's a HUGE get for them. He has potentially tremendous immediate impact in the middle of their OL and I think he's a big loss for VT. Once again, for me to consider a guy as part of our recruiting ranking he has to have potentially 4 years of eligibility since that's what an incoming HS kid brings.

I figured this discussion belongs more in this thread than the one on Eley so that's why I directed it back.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
@TheTechGuy I know you weren't talking to me but I responded to a similar question you asked with some information to support my statement here: https://gtswarm.com/threads/national-signing-day-coverage.22780/post-770125. I did not include the guys we are getting who have less than 4 years of eligibility left and for the same reason I don't consider any of the guys other teams have gotten that have less than 4 years of eligibility as part of their recruiting class. Though I do like a couple of the guys that BC has gotten and they could be good contributors. As for FSU it's the same thing. I don't consider those transfers as part of the recruiting class in the same way I don't consider White, Cochran, and now Eley as part of ours when I rank our class. NCSU also is bringing in 3 transfers but again they are all short term players like Cochran, White, and Eley for us. Louisville's transfer, Hudson, I am on the fence considering him as part of their recruiting class and he's a HUGE get for them. He has potentially tremendous immediate impact in the middle of their OL and I think he's a big loss for VT. Once again, for me to consider a guy as part of our recruiting ranking he has to have potentially 4 years of eligibility since that's what an incoming HS kid brings.

I figured this discussion belongs more in this thread than the one on Eley so that's why I directed it back.
I understand, but this post and the one you linked don’t provide substantive info to support the statement by @bwelbo.

Addressing your point, Scott is the only transfer that’s truly applicable to this year’s class. He could redshirt again, and thus has potentially 5 years left in the program. While Watson and Pendley have 4 years left to play, they are not entitled to that 5th developmental year.

As last year’s class can technically redshirt again, Watson and Pendley are more applicable to the class from 2 years ago, which is when they graduated. Yes, they still have 4 years to play, but they don’t have a year to learn our scheme and style of play. Their clock begins immediately, which is not true of our incoming recruiting class. Recent signees retain a 4 game redshirt year.

Without getting into the metrics of how you rank and include these guys in this year’s class, we’re simply not comparing apples to apples.

Deleted member 2897

I understand, but this post and the one you linked don’t provide substantive info to support the statement by @bwelbo.

Addressing your point, Scott is the only transfer that’s truly applicable to this year’s class. He could redshirt again, and thus has potentially 5 years left in the program. While Watson and Pendley have 4 years left to play, they are not entitled to that 5th developmental year.

As last year’s class can technically redshirt again, Watson and Pendley are more applicable to the class from 2 years ago, which is when they graduated. Yes, they still have 4 years to play, but they don’t have a year to learn our scheme and style of play. Their clock begins immediately, which is not true of our incoming recruiting class. Recent signees retain a 4 game redshirt year.

Without getting into the metrics of how you rank and include these guys in this year’s class, we’re simply not comparing apples to apples.

I don’t know what you’re referencing when you tag me, but I did go look up every other team in the ACC other than Clemson, Miami, and UNC - because they’re already ahead of us. BC had 3 transfers in, NC State 2, several teams had 1, and several had 0. We have 7. I then added up the arrivals points for these guys and it puts us in the mid 1800s the last time I looked. That’s too 20 nationally and 4th in the ACC. While not totally comparable, because people don’t rank classes that way, I think it’s unfair to say we’re only bringing in 17 guys when it’s really 24. If we weren’t bringing in these 7 transfers, we’d have 7 other guys and we would indeed be counting them. The truth is always somewhere in between. I’m fine with looking at both numbers and having a conversation about it.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck

While the transfers to not have that redshirt year they already have a head start on freshmen by being in a college s&c for a year and they are all coming in January. If we have a normal offseason it will give them plenty of time to get adjusted and be able to contribute immediately. When I say contribute I do not mean become day 1 starters. However I do expect them all to play next year.