National Signing Day Coverage

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Does this mean that we have supplanted Miami as "Portal U"?
With 11 four stars and a couple of five stars Miami does not need the portal. Bottom feeders have to use the portal but Tech has probably done a better job of using this new recruiting tool than just about anyone else. Whether it makes any difference in the loss column remains to be seen.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
With 11 four stars and a couple of five stars Miami does not need the portal. Bottom feeders have to use the portal but Tech has probably done a better job of using this new recruiting tool than just about anyone else. Whether it makes any difference in the loss column remains to be seen.
Interesting you use Miami when their starting qb came thru the portal. Every team will look to fill holes through the portal. UGA has recruited quite well the last few years but used the portal to gain players at a position of need.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Interesting you use Miami when their starting qb came thru the portal. Every team will look to fill holes through the portal. UGA has recruited quite well the last few years but used the portal to gain players at a position of need.
They have effectively left us in the dust. They will not be needing that portal except to fill what few needs they will have. Interesting you did not mention we have 1 four star in this class that is ranked 46th in the country and 11th in the ACC. No matter how you slice it, we cannot compete doing this. Transfers are band aids. You cannot build a program with the portal being the foundation. The transfers are great and will plug the leaks for now but they are leaving their first choice for a reason. Personally, I think most of them wised up when they found themselves in a room with 5 stars being backed up by 4 stars. Why they did not figure that out in the beginning is the question but when you have people telling you in high school you are the best there ever was...well, sooner or later reality hits.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
They have effectively left us in the dust. They will not be needing that portal except to fill what few needs they will have. Interesting you did not mention we have 1 four star in this class that is ranked 46th in the country and 11th in the ACC. No matter how you slice it, we cannot compete doing this. Transfers are band aids. You cannot build a program with the portal being the foundation. The transfers are great and will plug the leaks for now but they are leaving their first choice for a reason. Personally, I think most of them wised up when they found themselves in a room with 5 stars being backed up by 4 stars. Why they did not figure that out in the beginning is the question but when you have people telling you in high school you are the best there ever was...well, sooner or later reality hits.
Um, we only have 16 players in the class so we are really hurt by that in the rankings. Also, Edwards and Tatum are 4 stars in addition to BlackStrain. You could easily make the argument that Robinson and Franklin should be 4 stars based on their state rankings which typically would result in a 4th star.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Um, we only have 16 players in the class so we are really hurt by that in the rankings. Also, Edwards and Tatum are 4 stars in addition to BlackStrain. You could easily make the argument that Robinson and Franklin should be 4 stars based on their state rankings which typically would result in a 4th star.
Um, there is a reason why we are ranked so low. Proof is in the pudding for both the portal guys and the freshmen. Plenty of opportunities to make a name for yourself unless you are a running back.

Deleted member 2897

Not to be a downer, but not sure how to feel about having the 11th ranked class in the ACC given all the marketing we do....

Short story, we’re not. We have 17 commits. The team ahead of us has 27.

Don’t ignore the 6 transfers we have and the fact the signing class isn’t done.

If you factored in the ratings of our transfers, we’re top 20 in the country. We don’t factor that in, but the teams around us don’t have 6 transfers coming in, or 5, or 4, etc. if we didn’t have any transfers, then we’d have 6 other commits and we wouldn’t be ranked where we are. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Deleted member 2897

Really you should read over what you write before posting sometimes and decide is this really what you want to say. If we didn’t take the 6 transfers, but instead took 6 regular recruits, we’d be ranked inside the top 30 and around 5th in the ACC. But the staff decided these particular guys were the better move. If you factor in the transfers’ ratings on Rivals, we’d be ranked #20 nationally right now. Yet here we are with some of us complaining. Oh how times have changed where we complain about one of the top 3 or 4 recruiting classes in the last 30 years.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Really you should read over what you write before posting sometimes and decide is this really what you want to say. If we didn’t take the 6 transfers, but instead took 6 regular recruits, we’d be ranked inside the top 30 and around 5th in the ACC. But the staff decided these particular guys were the better move. If you factor in the transfers’ ratings on Rivals, we’d be ranked #20 nationally right now. Yet here we are with some of us complaining. Oh how times have changed where we complain about one of the top 3 or 4 recruiting classes in the last 30 years.

I agree with everything you say, and I also agree with some of the stuff HG says. My take is that CGC's ability to recruit consistently in the top 30 at GT is still TBD - and my biggest concern is that I really do believe that how we look on TV matters, and we have had some fairly bad performances for kids to watch. That needs to change next year, or I am not sure any amount of "marketing" or great salesmanship will be able to make up for poor performances.

With those concerns communicated, I am rooting for CGC. If we can look competitive and fundamentally sound in 9 of our games next year, winning is not as important, although it is important, I think he can take the recruiting back in the correct direction without dependence on any transfers, and I am rooting for some great surprises on the 2nd signing day for this year's class.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If we don't start winning games next year, it won't matter and no a top 3 or 4 recruiting class is still ranked in the bottom tier of the ACC and 46th in the country. Coach Collins has staked his success on the Flats on recruiting with special emphasis on metro Atlanta. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program but especially one that is close to irrelevance in the ACC. UNC, Miami, Clemson, Notre Dame, and even Virginia Tech all regard us as easy money.

Deleted member 2897

If we don't start winning games next year, it won't matter and no a top 3 or 4 recruiting class is still ranked in the bottom tier of the ACC and 46th in the country. Coach Collins has staked his success on the Flats on recruiting with special emphasis on metro Atlanta. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program but especially one that is close to irrelevance in the ACC. UNC, Miami, Clemson, Notre Dame, and even Virginia Tech all regard us as easy money.

False.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Virginia Tech? The program that’s literally dying before our eyes? The one team that Tech has dominated in the Coastal since 2014? The team that finished 85th in the country in recruiting last year? The team that’s only 4 spots and 45 points ahead of GT in this year’s rankings, even though they have 10 more commits than we do? The team that doesn’t have a single 4 star commit?

Come on man. I agree with some of your points, but be better.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It is all garbage.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Virginia Tech? The program that’s literally dying before our eyes? The one team that Tech has dominated in the Coastal since 2014? The team that finished 85th in the country in recruiting last year? The team that’s only 4 spots and 45 points ahead of GT in this year’s rankings, even though they have 10 more commits than we do? The team that doesn’t have a single 4 star commit?

I don't know what to tell you. They are an enigma right now. 2019 they finished 2nd in the Coastal and managed to beat both Miami and UNC while we finished, understandably, last. This year they finished tied for 6th with Pitt and BC while we finished 11th. Fuente is on the hot seat because of recruiting yet they have managed to win some ridiculous number of games with UVA over the past 15 years or so. Fuente was the next hot coach when he was hired but has flamed out in recruiting. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

How would you like to be UVA? Since 2000 they have beat their arch rival Virginia Tech only twice. In 2019 and 2004. Even this year when Virginia Tech was pretty bad they still managed to lose.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what to tell you. They are an enigma right now. 2019 they finished 2nd in the Coastal and managed to beat both Miami and UNC while we finished, understandably, last. This year they finished tied for 6th with Pitt and BC while we finished 11th. Fuente is on the hot seat because of recruiting yet they have managed to win some ridiculous number of games with UVA over the past 15 years or so. Fuente was the next hot coach when he was hired but has flamed out in recruiting. IIWII
They’re 13-11 over the last 2 years, and 19-18 over the last 3.

Their starting LG and C are both transferring as well as their starting QB from this year.

How would you like to be UVA? Since 2000 they have beat their arch rival Virginia Tech only twice. In 2019 and 2004. Even this year when Virginia Tech was pretty bad they still managed to lose.
Why does it matter what they’re doing to UVA? Georgia Tech is 4-2 against Virginia Tech since 2014. That’s the only team in the Coastal that GT has a winning record against in that time frame. Every other series is either even, or Tech has a losing record. And in case you haven’t noticed, GT is to UGA what UVA is to VT. Tech has won 4 games against Georgia since the turn of the century. But that’s not relevant at all to Virginia Tech. So I don’t see why the UVA-VT series would be relevant at all to Georgia Tech.

Virginia Tech won 10 or more games for 8 straight years from 2004-2011. Since then, they’ve only won 10 games once, in Fuente’s first year. They’ve been on a steady decline since. Pitt is much more of a concern in the Coastal than Virginia Tech is at this time.

Deleted member 2897

I just went through all the ACC teams. If you counted the ratings of our 6 transfers, we’d be #4 in the ACC and #20 nationally.

Boston College has 3 transfers. (A 2-star and a couple 3-stars.
NC State and 1 other team I forget have 2 transfers.
A couple teams have 1 transfer.
A bunch of teams don’t have any transfers coming in.

Saying our current class isn’t any good is leaving out a third of our class, and tons of talent. And given this is our fan site and we all know that’s an unfair characterization - it’s uncalled for really.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
++++++

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I just went through all the ACC teams. If you counted the ratings of our 6 transfers, we’d be #4 in the ACC and #20 nationally.

Saying our current class isn’t any good is leaving out a third of our class, and tons of talent. And given this is our fan site and we all know that’s an unfair characterization - it’s uncalled for really.
We need to be patient and let this play out over the next couple of years. Admittedly, I am having a hard time with this myself. At this point, I just want to see
more consistent evidence of an upward trend. If we go 3-9 next year ( I am ALMOST certain we will do better ) , then 2nd guessing the CGC transformation will really get intense.

Deleted member 2897

We need to be patient and let this play out over the next couple of years. Admittedly, I am having a hard time with this myself. At this point, I just want to see
more consistent evidence of an upward trend. If we go 3-9 next year ( I am ALMOST certain we will do better ) , then 2nd guessing the CGC transformation will really get intense.

We had tremendous improvement year over year. We went from having an offense who scored 13 points to one who scored in the 20s. From 285 yards to 400. We went from squeaking out 3 wins and getting blown out in the rest to winning 3 (2 of which were blowouts) and were in 4 other games late but just couldn’t get it done.

If we suck next year, indeed that will be not good. But so far based on the trajectory year over year, we dont have any reason to expect to suck.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow

I’ve seen some comments pointing out that they see transfers as replacements to people who went into the portal which I also think is an unfair characterization. Considering the typical 85 NCAA total scholarship count and that there are typically a handful of 5 yr redshirt seniors, you can really only sign 18-20 recruits a year without people leaving the program. I haven’t gone back and checked but I think we would have had 17 or 18 recruiting slots this year without attrition.

Also, of the people in the portal right now, only Showell and Brown had significant numbers (maybe Chico). The 2020 numbers for people in the portal on 247 are 6/13 passing, 85 yds passing, 11 rec, 183 rec yds, and about 39 tackles. Granted a few people opted out and didn’t play, but our transfers who joined the program last year were probably our best offensive lineman plus 37 tackles and 2 sacks between less players. Not overwhelming numbers but more production than the exiting players. Granted I don’t think you’ll find anyone who wanted to lose Brown, but I think the potential of our transfers coming in far exceeds that of who left. If our guys were starters transferring out and going to big schools, I’d be worried but so far that isn’t the case.