Nate Woody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. I hate the use of analytics in a vacuum so I don't necessarily subscribe to the use of 'stats' in that manner. Just meaning, I won't look at a stat, compare it to the prior year and assess better/worse. I just feel like there's more to it than that.

Stats don't necessarily measure better tackling, better technique, etc. Those are the areas where I feel we are much improved.

On talent level, I think we're better than we've shown. We lack depth of talent, that's for sure. But we have guys who have individual talent/tools. Talent/tools which I feel were hidden under the prior regime.

It would be interesting to isolate just the defensive recruiting. We have recruited much better, in terms of recruit rankings and 4 stars, on the defensive side of the ball. I would venture to guess GT recruits in the 30's and lower 40's if just defensive recruits were ranked.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It would be interesting to isolate just the defensive recruiting. We have recruited much better, in terms of recruit rankings and 4 stars, on the defensive side of the ball. I would venture to guess GT recruits in the 30's and lower 40's if just defensive recruits were ranked.

So much for PJ cherry picking the top players for the O side of the ball that some have argued for YEARS! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I was explaining the Nate Woody hire before the season to a friend of mine who coaches at Dacula. Replacing a bend but don’t break, non-aggressive D with an aggressive, willing to give-up a play here and there as a trade-off. He said Tech is so far away from being a shut-down D, that an aggresive D is our best option and worth the trade-off type of D. He thought if we could create energy and excitement on that side of the ball that we could move our identity in the right direction and land a few more difference makers.

Those were interesting points. Second half of the season will tell if and by how much we’ve improved. At the end of the day our current jimmies and joes are not going to be a shut-em-down D, no matter who the coach is, but they can move toward an identity and IMO we haven’t had that since the Tenuta years.
+++++

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The Appalachian State head coach and Woody have history, and I'm sure it would make the transition easier...

...wait, did I say that out loud?
Personally I’d rather have someone with P5 experience in Josh’s Heupel. I’d like him to retain CNW as well though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Personally I’d rather have someone with P5 experience in Josh’s Heupel. I’d like him to retain CNW as well though.

I like Heupel. Kids would line up to play in his offense.

My only concern is he's only been HC for a year, and he inherited a talented team at UCF with a really good QB. Would like to see him get his guys in and have sustained success.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I like Heupel. Kids would line up to play in his offense.

My only concern is he's only been HC for a year, and he inherited a talented team at UCF with a really good QB. Would like to see him get his guys in and have sustained success.
I get that, but he took an offense ranked in the 90’s at Missouri the year before he became their OC and had them top 15 in his first year. GT imo won’t get a guy that’s had a ton of success in other areas. This is the type of coach we can get IMO. And I think he’s going to be a very good one.

Before we take up money to build a statue of him put in front of the stadium would it not be a good idea to see how he does in Recruiting. Yes the defense is better and if he can recruit all the better. You don't judge on one year. You can give him a happy face on his report card.
With the turmoil at The Flats this year, recruiting across the board will probably suffer this year, including whatever Woody might bring to the table with the obviously improving defense.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Next year this secondary and linebacking group should be top 25 in the country. Getting a lot of experience for younger guys. Will have speed and length at the positions. Still worried about the line.

Top 25 at LB? That would certainly be nice but I have no idea where you are getting this from.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Top 25 at LB? That would certainly be nice but I have no idea where you are getting this from.

He's banking on Dingle beign a missing piece in the middle. Domoneck also as well as swilling and curry both growing and Thomas becoming a force at jack and potentially having jaunyeh move to stinger.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Dook had 500 yds of Off last yr, this yr 304--not to mention last yr it looked like DEF quit toward end of yr

Devils advocate. They got 3 TDs on very short fields. It’s posdible they’d have racked up 500 on those drives if starting on their own 20 instead.

I kinda doubt it but.....it’s a reasonable possibility.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He's banking on Dingle beign a missing piece in the middle. Domoneck also as well as swilling and curry both growing and Thomas becoming a force at jack and potentially having jaunyeh move to stinger.

That’s more like a lot of wild speculation based on hopes and dreams rather than banking on reasonable expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.