Nate McCollom to UNC

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Who would you say was our best offensive player in 2022? PFF says it was Nate McCollum by a large margin.
A WR requires a ton of help to be successful. PFF says he was our most productive offensive player...maybe, but that's not the same as our best.

I don't know who our best was. Maybe it was whoever was playing QB. Maybe it was our RB du jour. I'd say the kid from ND did a pretty good job. I'd say once the playcalling was fixed it might have actually been Benson. on a team that won 5 games, we didn't really have any standouts.

JacketFan137

Banned
on a team that won 5 games, we didn't really have any standouts.
we had literally one standout player on offense and his name is nate mccollum. we can play the “oh well he wasn’t that good” game all we want but this one hurts. our WR room is mid at best. someone is gonna have to step up in a major way because he was by far and away the best player on our offense

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
These kids are just making business decisions. We've got big ?? at QB regarding health, this Co-OC system we're going to run, etc. The days of 4+ yr GT players are largely over until we become a highly desired destination again. Hopefully that's not too long in the future. Nate's just doing what he feels he needs to do to improve his draft stock. He found a place to focus 100% on football without having to be distracted by playing school.
That’s what everyone said about Gibbs, but then he goes to Bama and has a season that looked almost identical to his seasons at Tech.

This draft stock argument is hilarious to me. You guys think the NFL doesn’t know about guys that start at every school? The only way draft stock improves significantly is when a guy flat out doesn’t play at school A, but gets a shot at school B and lights it up.

Maybe it’s a business decision for $. If so, go for it man…but I’m really not that convinced that we can’t replace Nate with someone that can produce similar numbers without having to go find them a bunch of money.

JacketFan137

Banned
That’s what everyone said about Gibbs, but then he goes to Bama and has a season that looked almost identical to his seasons at Tech.

This draft stock argument is hilarious to me. You guys think the NFL doesn’t know about guys that start at every school? The only way draft stock improves significantly is when a guy flat out doesn’t play at school A, but gets a shot at school B and lights it up.

Maybe it’s a business decision for $. If so, go for it man…but I’m really not that convinced that we can’t replace Nate with someone that can produce similar numbers without having to go find them a bunch of money.
nate will have a better shot at showcasing what he can do with the ball in his hands at unc. they will scheme him open a lot more than we had so i do think he could see a slight bump in his production and draft stock

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
we had literally one standout player on offense and his name is nate mccollum. we can play the “oh well he wasn’t that good” game all we want but this one hurts. our WR room is mid at best. someone is gonna have to step up in a major way because he was by far and away the best player on our offense
Yeah, disagree. Next man up. He was our best WR and dynamic, but when you only touch the ball 5 times a game on offense, there’s no way you’re the best offensive player.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Agree completely about the draft stock argument.

We'll have to see how well McCollum can be replaced, but I'd really like to have hung on to him. Maybe the other receivers will be that much more encouraged to step up their game, now. I think they have potential, and they all have a chance to fill his shoes as our primary receiver.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yeah, disagree. Next man up. He was our best WR and dynamic, but when you only touch the ball 5 times a game on offense, there’s no way you’re the best offensive player.
this has to be trolling at this point. i genuinely have no idea who the best player on the offense is if you apply this logic.

dontae went large stretches of the season without getting touches so it can’t be him by your logic. in fact our RBs seemed to just be hot hand guys and none of them really emerged as the clear cut 1 and i don’t think any of them stood out on the national stage.

sims and gibson were inconsistent at best and had some very poor performances mixed in. pyron did not have enough opportunities so it’s pretty hard to say he was the best with your logic.

the te room obviously doesn’t enter this discussion and our o line plagued us most of the year with its inconsistency. although they looked better by the end of the year

purely hypothetical if everyone from the 2022 offense were to declare for the draft the only two that may get a look would be sims and nate. i am probably the biggest sims believer in here and i would take nate above him 10/10 times

so if not nate then please tell me who the best player on this offense was

JacketFan137

Banned
We couldn’t match UNC’s $$$?
unc with jordan money, a nationally recognized brand and a serious commitment to football is easily gonna outspend us. mack brown was getting 5 mil a year and collins/key/paul johnson all got around 3 while coaching here. they have a much larger war chest than we do

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
unc with jordan money, a nationally recognized brand and a serious commitment to football is easily gonna outspend us. mack brown was getting 5 mil a year and collins/key/paul johnson all got around 3 while coaching here. they have a much larger war chest than we do
I grew up in NC. Chapel Hole is NC's equivalent of Athens - possibly bigger. Huge fan base; most of which never attended a single class there. Top tier teaching hospital - they crank out doctors and lawyers. Basketball drives the bus, but they're not afraid to throw money at football.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
this has to be trolling at this point. i genuinely have no idea who the best player on the offense is if you apply this logic.

dontae went large stretches of the season without getting touches so it can’t be him by your logic. in fact our RBs seemed to just be hot hand guys and none of them really emerged as the clear cut 1 and i don’t think any of them stood out on the national stage.

sims and gibson were inconsistent at best and had some very poor performances mixed in. pyron did not have enough opportunities so it’s pretty hard to say he was the best with your logic.

the te room obviously doesn’t enter this discussion and our o line plagued us most of the year with its inconsistency. although they looked better by the end of the year

purely hypothetical if everyone from the 2022 offense were to declare for the draft the only two that may get a look would be sims and nate. i am probably the biggest sims believer in here and i would take nate above him 10/10 times

so if not nate then please tell me who the best player on this offense was
This is an easy one. It had to be our center - they gave him the ball every single play. :)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That makes me wonder if we are going to have strength up the middle next year. On defensexwe loose the best dl lineman and 2 best lb in years. The center has played many snaps but seems average. How high is our Center rated ( PFF) when compared to other centers?

We dont have enough proven ol, dl, lb, qb, etc to make a top player stay or transfer in. Next year we could play tough but not win.
Maybe next year we can show folks we are devolping talent.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan

Or maybe the draft stock improves because the competition level improves. Like it or not, a player who performs well in the SEC will be regarded higher than one that performs well in the ACC or Pac 12.