Nate McCollom to UNC

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
By that definition, any young player that has a good year or two is “HoF caliber.” While I agree on you to an extent, I wouldn’t start talking about HoF caliber on time they’ve shown HoF level play for at least 5 years. This is purely my personal barometer.
I think we agree that a player can't be said to be having an HoF caliber career after one great year. Two full seasons of dominance at a position would indicate to me that "if player X continued with at that level then he would be HoF caliber" but he would need to continue that level of play. We might be saying the same thing because I'm giving the caveat on the way I use the term that he needs to continue that level of play. In the end I think we're reflecting the same thing just in a bit different way. And I may be willing to use the term a bit earlier than you are and neither of us is wrong. Take Justin Jefferson, WR for the Vikings, for example. I would say that right now, if he keeps up this current level of play, he would be in the midst of an HoF caliber career. You might say that right now he's playing great football and wait two more seasons to look back and say "he's having an HoF caliber career" and in reality we are saying the same thing, just at different times and I'm caveating it with "keeps up current level of play."

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
A lot of that has to do with a way an OC calls a game. I think McCollum is fantastic but he is far from irreplaceable, and I believe that is what a lot of folks are saying. For instance in 2010 if Dwyer doesn’t leave I believe we win more games. I do not feel this way towards McCollum
Hope you are correct. I think Rutherford will be solid as a slot guy. The outside receivers returning have shown nothing so far. Best hope is a new OC and WR coach who can get the most out of their ability. The past guys sure couldn't.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hope you are correct. I think Rutherford will be solid as a slot guy. The outside receivers returning have shown nothing so far. Best hope is a new OC and WR coach who can get the most out of their ability. The past guys sure couldn't.
Throw in the TE room - that was supposed to blossom under the previous oc. Plenty of room to improve to get to kind of good.