Nashville Regional - Vandy, Ga Tech, Indiana St, Presbyterian

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, that’s sure disappointing to drop that one. In addition to the errors, missing turning th DP on the ball back to Grissom cost us big time as well.

Smith was really good though!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Empty white space... This is the best post of all to describe the feeling after that L...!

I don't get the "empty white space" feeling. I get this...
Sad Winona Ryder GIF by Freeform

Unearned runs and errors. Frustrating to see and I'm sure the players and coaches are upset about squandered opportunity.

Also, I do have a question. In FB, a review of a play has to have "irrefutable" evidence to overturn a call on the field. When Waddell was initially (I think) was initially called safe at second, I did not think the replay was conclusive enough to overturn the call on the field. What ARE the guidelines for college baseball reviews??

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't get the "empty white space" feeling. I get this...
Sad Winona Ryder GIF by Freeform

Unearned runs and errors. Frustrating to see and I'm sure the players and coaches are upset about squandered opportunity.

Also, I do have a question. In FB, a review of a play has to have "irrefutable" evidence to overturn a call on the field. When Waddell was initially (I think) was initially called safe at second, I did not think the replay was conclusive enough to overturn the call on the field. What ARE the guidelines for college baseball reviews??
Same rule/concept... must be conclusive (irrefutable) to overturn. I would like to know what they saw as well.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Same rule/concept... must be conclusive (irrefutable) to overturn. I would like to know what they saw as well.
My problem with overturning the call was that it was not possible, from the replay, to see when the Vandy 2B regained possession of the ball. You could see his foot touched the bag before Waddell, but nothing about the ball until the 2B raised it up much later.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We earned this loss with the botched double play. It's baseball and players make errors, but our defense has been an issue at times this year. That, and pitching, are why we were not a #1 seed and eventually why we now have to win three times today. Or go home. It's doable, but not likely. Maybe we can unload on the bottom of the Vandy pitching staff and advance.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Congratulations to Grissom for stepping up big and throwing a shutout. 0 ERs. Like I said, we saved our Ace for Vandy.

Congratulations to Dal Smith for his part of the shutout.

Maxwell with a SO and then he should have gotten a GO. Why was Maxwell pulled so quick? (I am NOT complaining about a quick hook with so many pitchers. Didn't get to watch game only score.)

1622979449031.png

We played a really good team who didn't beat themselves.

Our bats were cold and the 0-3 RISP didn't help. But at only 3 RISP, shows show good the Vandy pitching was.

At least we get to play more. Chances of winning over Indiana State maybe 2/3. Chances of beating Vandy each game (optimistically 1/3). Gives us a 7% chance (=2/3*1/3*1/3=2/27) chance of winning the next three. But it's a chance.

1622979931334.png

I double checked and the game time appears to be 3PM ET and not Nashville time.

Deleted member 2897

I couldn’t watch the game due to other commitments. Seeing the outcome, I wasn’t surprised and not too upset. We continue to prove we are a great team with a lot of potential. But we do have weaknesses - we make it harder on ourselves than it needs to be. Vanderbilt doesn’t do that. That’s how really good teams typically win games.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Congratulations to Grissom for stepping up big and throwing a shutout. 0 ERs. Like I said, we saved our Ace for Vandy.

Congratulations to Dal Smith for his part of the shutout.

Maxwell with a SO and then he should have gotten a GO. Why was Maxwell pulled so quick? (I am NOT complaining about a quick hook with so many pitchers. Didn't get to watch game only score.)

View attachment 10662

We played a really good team who didn't beat themselves.

Our bats were cold and the 0-3 RISP didn't help. But at only 3 RISP, shows show good the Vandy pitching was.

At least we get to play more. Chances of winning over Indiana State maybe 2/3. Chances of beating Vandy each game (optimistically 1/3). Gives us a 7% chance (=2/3*1/3*1/3=2/27) chance of winning the next three. But it's a chance.

View attachment 10663
I double checked and the game time appears to be 3PM ET and not Nashville time.
I assume Maxwell was removed for 2 reasons..
1) He can pitch today.
2) D.Smith was a better match-up v next Vandy hitter(s).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You usually win in college sports (especially baseball) by making the fewest mistakes and letting the other team beat themselves.

Vandy did that. We didn't.

I'd rather have gotten whupped than lose that way.....but...oh, well

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I assume Maxwell was removed for 2 reasons..
1) He can pitch today.
2) D.Smith was a better match-up v next Vandy hitter(s).
3) He looks down and can’t see his own feet, let alone the ball that was laying on the ground between them. Terry Forster, Ray King, ate their way out of the game.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Even as good as Leiter was, we were right there and lost because of those 2 errors. Big props to Smith being as effective as he was and saving the bullpen for tomorrow. At least I feel a tiny bit more optimistic than I did at this point in the regional 2 years ago.

This is going to be the popular narrative but that's overly simplistic. It was a combination of things as it always is. Grissom wasn't great. He wasn't missing any bats and gave up too many free base runners and the offense struck out 15 times and only had 7 baserunners in 9 innings. A bunch of stuff didn't go right for us and we didn't catch any breaks to balance it out. Tough to win when that happens. Particularly against a team as good as Vanderbilt.

Dalton Smith was amazing though. He's the gave us a chance to get back in it and is the reason the game was as close as it was. Unfortunately, the offense couldn't quite get there. Huge performance by him.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
We earned this loss with the botched double play. It's baseball and players make errors, but our defense has been an issue at times this year. That, and pitching, are why we were not a #1 seed and eventually why we now have to win three times today. Or go home. It's doable, but not likely. Maybe we can unload on the bottom of the Vandy pitching staff and advance.

Only have to win twice today. If we do that, one more tomorrow.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I'm ready to win 2 today. LFG!
Well, who do you think we start for the early game today? What do you think about starting Crawford for the Indiana st game and saving Archer for vandy should we win the first game?
Who are our starting options today? Archer, Crawford. Huff? Medich? Westbrooks? Is Roedig even still with the team?

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm ready to win 2 today. LFG!

Who are our starting options today? Archer, Crawford. Huff? Medich? Westbrooks? Is Roedig even still with the team?
I'm assuming Archer in first game, Crawford in 2nd. Archer really needs to go at least 5-6. If Crawford can get us 5 tonight, that would be huge. Then, tomorrow, all hands on deck for at least an inning. Mannelly and Huff haven't pitched at all. Bartnicki and Siegal are rested for today. Don't know if Maxwell can pitch 4 days in a row, certainly just in one game today. Someone from the Medich, Chapman, Westbrooks group is going to have to get us some outs along the way. Roedig hasn't pitched in weeks so I doubt he is an option for the rest of the year.

Rain could be an issue too. Looks like a huge mass of rain in Alabama and Tennessee this afternoon. Could be seeing some delays for sure today.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm assuming Archer in first game, Crawford in 2nd. Archer really needs to go at least 5-6. If Crawford can get us 5 tonight, that would be huge. Then, tomorrow, all hands on deck for at least an inning. Mannelly and Huff haven't pitched at all. Bartnicki and Siegal are rested for today. Don't know if Maxwell can pitch 4 days in a row, certainly just in one game today. Someone from the Medich, Chapman, Westbrooks group is going to have to get us some outs along the way. Roedig hasn't pitched in weeks so I doubt he is an option for the rest of the year.

Rain could be an issue too. Looks like a huge mass of rain in Alabama and Tennessee this afternoon. Could be seeing some delays for sure today.
Could definitely see Hurter throwing 2 or 3 innings on Monday if needed.