Name two

CEB

Helluva Engineer
1. People who pronounce forte using the Italian musical pronunciation that rhymes with lay, instead of the French pronunciation for strong suit that rhymes with tort, when they mean personal strength rather than musically loud.

2. The fact that if enough people say something “incorrectly” over time the rules change.

As a Midwesterner turned southerner I have done my fair share of butchering pronunciation in English, let alone other languages. That said, if I have ever uttered the word forte, I am certain I did it wrong and would’ve said “for-tay”

As a matter of fact, I don’t ever recall hearing it pronounced “fort,” so either my associations share my ignorance on the matter, or perhaps your #1 peeve is evidence of your #2....

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As a Midwesterner turned southerner I have done my fair share of butchering pronunciation in English, let alone other languages. That said, if I have ever uttered the word forte, I am certain I did it wrong and would’ve said “for-tay”

As a matter of fact, I don’t ever recall hearing it pronounced “fort,” so either my associations share my ignorance on the matter, or perhaps your #1 peeve is evidence of your #2....
Yes. Most people said it wrong for years. I grew up in a family that said it correctly and what we said matched the dictionary pronunciation.

But, as the decades have rolled on, it would not surprise me in the least if the “incorrect” pronunciation has become standard.

Something similar happened with foyer, which “should” be pronounced foyay but the American pronunciation now prevails as foy-yer.

Of course growing up in Georgia I learned that we have “Americanized” lots of names from Buena Vista, to Monticello, to Ponce deLeon, to Lafayette, to Cairo, to Vienna, etc, so it’s easy to see how this happens.

I wish rules remained fixed. It would fit my tendency to seek perfection. But they don’t.

I remember when The NY Times did an article years ago that according to grammarians the indefinite article “a” should now be used exclusively even if preceding a vowel sound. But that hurts my ears. And I just can’t.

So, yes, rules are always in flux. Most changes happen over centuries but a few happen right in front of our eyes.

I hate that.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
First of all... great thread. Lots of good peeves.

1) People how say they're not familiar/aware of George Jones or his music.
2) People who say violin when referring to a fiddle.
I’m a Neanderthal too. Ladies over 50 who claim not to know who Glen Campbell was; as I still listen to those Jimmy Webb classics. I mean who from my day, didn’t know Jimmy won a sports car from Sir Richard Harris for the song McArthur Park going to #1 in England & the U.S.A.?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Two people going the same speed next to each other so that I can’t pass either one of them
#2 - The idiots who can't/won't use their cruise control on the interstate (not the Atlanta or Nashville interstates but the ones where you can drive 70 mph). I notice that I will play leapfrog with certain vehicles who don't use their cruise control 10 times in a 20 mile stretch of highway.

#1 - cell phones. IMO, life was far better before them. Plus they are the major contributors to 2 above AND the single biggest reason I won't ride my bikes anywhere where the road is shared with vehicles. Too much texting and driving.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
#2 - The idiots who can't/won't use their cruise control on the interstate (not the Atlanta or Nashville interstates but the ones where you can drive 70 mph). I notice that I will play leapfrog with certain vehicles who don't use their cruise control 10 times in a 20 mile stretch of highway.

#1 - cell phones. IMO, life was far better before them. Plus they are the major contributors to 2 above AND the single biggest reason I won't ride my bikes anywhere where the road is shared with vehicles. Too much texting and driving.
Okay:

(1) Texting and driving.

(2) Restauranting and cell-phoning.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
1. Smacking. Chomping. Swallowing. Slurping. Crunching. All sounds that come from a person's mouth (usually related to consumption of food or beverages) but are not supposed to.

2. Bad driving.
Use your blinker before you hit your brakes. I should know you're about to slow down before you are actively slowing down.
At the very least, go the speed limit. Preferably faster than the posted speed limit by Georgia's allowable amount, but at least the speed limit.
The vicious cycle of dadgum drivers that are driving too slow, but you can't pass them due to an upcoming corner or oncoming traffic. Then when the coast is clear, they speed up, so you would have to break the sound barrier to pass them.

To piggyback off this ...

When someone is driving slow, knowingly, only to accelerate to 457mph once they see that you're trying to pass them. As if a NASCAR race just broke out.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m a Neanderthal too. Ladies over 50 who claim not to know who Glen Campbell was; as I still listen to those Jimmy Webb classics. I mean who from my day, didn’t know Jimmy won a sports car from Sir Richard Harris for the song McArthur Park going to #1 in England & the U.S.A.?
Glen Campbell? Isn't he the guy that played opposite John Wayne in one of the Rooster Cogburn movies? Maybe a Texas Ranger or some such?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Glen Campbell? Isn't he the guy that played opposite John Wayne in one of the Rooster Cogburn movies? Maybe a Texas Ranger or some such?
Yes, sir! I think the characters last name was La Bouef in T.G. Only Oscar John Wayne(Marion Morrison), won. He was Rooster Cogburn. When Glen had the Goodtime Hour on television weekly, Wayne came by with his daughter Mattie for an autograph. Campbell became friends with the “Duke.” Wayne asked for him when the part came up for the film. It’s a cool soundtrack, because Glen was an early Eric Clapton doing studio for The Beach Boys and others prior to making it big. Glen said, “I am not an actor, and after True Grit, I think my record is intact.”

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, sir! I think the characters last name was La Bouef in T.G. Only Oscar John Wayne(Marion Morrison), won. He was Rooster Cogburn. When Glen had the Goodtime Hour on television weekly, Wayne came by with his daughter Mattie for an autograph. Campbell became friends with the “Duke.” Wayne asked for him when the part came up for the film. It’s a cool soundtrack, because Glen was an early Eric Clapton doing studio for The Beach Boys and others prior to making it big. Glen said, “I am not an actor, and after True Grit, I think my record is intact.”
Thanks for the addition info. I am quite familiar with Glen Campbell (and his music) and had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek when writing the previous post. Doesn't everybody play dumb when they are trying to be funny? :D

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Thanks for the addition info. I am quite familiar with Glen Campbell (and his music) and had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek when writing the previous post. Doesn't everybody play dumb when they are trying to be funny? :D
I’m sorry TBuzz. You were and are funny! An excellent Font!!
Going through some medical problems for the first time in life, & not all here in the mind. LBH, falling apart.

Thanks for making me laugh at second glance.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
1. Indentation with spaces (tabs > spaces)
2. The use of “growing exponentially” knowing exponents could be negative and/or fractions

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Women (& sometimes men) who get up to the checkout clerk and THEN pull out their wallet, purse , or check book to pay! Don't they know it's not a "freebee" & they eventually have to pay!?!?!? Why wait!?!🤬

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
number 2,,, My wife back seat driving!
She gives me great driving tips! For instance, she will see a guy 500 feet ahead walking down the side of the road and scream " Don't hit that man!!!" I'll say, "Gee thanks! I was planning on it, but I guess I won't now!!"
My wife and I have two completely different driving styles so the chances of comments like this are quite high.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
1. People who pronounce forte using the Italian musical pronunciation that rhymes with lay, instead of the French pronunciation for strong suit that rhymes with tort, when they mean personal strength rather than musically loud.

2. The fact that if enough people say something “incorrectly” over time the rules change.
The one that bothers me is the conflation of the terms "uninterested" and "disinterested".
"Disinterested" has been misused so often that it is now accepted as proper usage for "bored" instead of having no vested interest, as a disinterested third party.

As for "forte", I learned something from your post. I didn't know the pronunciations are properly different for the two meanings.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
When did turn blinkers become obsolete ? Especially on pickup trucks. The "Truck Gang" seems to think they will lose their mancard if they use blinkers or park without backing in.

Another one---why do people wear their pajamas when shopping ?

Last one---why do people bark ? Shouldn't they just keep their mouths shut so there will be at least a doubt as to whether they are bone dumb ?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
When did turn blinkers become obsolete ? Especially on pickup trucks. The "Truck Gang" seems to think they will lose their mancard if they use blinkers or park without backing in.

Another one---why do people wear their pajamas when shopping ?

Last one---why do people bark ? Shouldn't they just keep their mouths shut so there will be at least a doubt as to whether they are bone dumb ?
I’ve come to hate the majority of truck owners. They tail gate, drive too fast in parking lots and on residential streets, and take more than their half of the road. Obviously not all truck owners but there is a new code for too many that involves aggressive and obnoxious driving.