Name two

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Pet peeves that really bother you, mine are tattoos and someone behind me blowing the horn as soon as the red light changes. If you go as soon as the light changes in the city you will be dead meat in a few days. You better look first.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I’m 1000% on board with both of you.

:mad::banghead:

I could handle the 110% cliche because it was cliche, but that just drives me nuts for some reason.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
1) People who don't use proper grammar and syntax when writing.
People who don't know when to use "you and me" versus "you and I."
People who don't know the difference between "good" and "well."
People who don't use an Oxford comma.
People that put the punctuation outside the end quote mark.
People who don't use a comma prior to "which" when creating independent clauses.
People who still put 2 spaces after a period (even though it was never proper typesetting).

2) People with no table manners.

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
People who don't use a comma prior to "which" when creating independent clauses
People who still put 2 spaces after a period (even though it was never proper typesetting)

Good ones!

You touched on another one for me. The rampant misuse of the word “myself.” I think it stems from not knowing how to use “me” or “I,” so instead of being wrong once in a while, they opt to say “myself” and they’re wrong all the time.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
People who don't use a comma prior to "which" when creating independent clauses.
People who still put 2 spaces after a period (even though it was never proper typesetting).

Ha Ha. I'm guilty of many of those. Forgive me .

GT121314

Georgia Tech Fan
1. Smacking. Chomping. Swallowing. Slurping. Crunching. All sounds that come from a person's mouth (usually related to consumption of food or beverages) but are not supposed to.

2. Bad driving.
Use your blinker before you hit your brakes. I should know you're about to slow down before you are actively slowing down.
At the very least, go the speed limit. Preferably faster than the posted speed limit by Georgia's allowable amount, but at least the speed limit.
The vicious cycle of dadgum drivers that are driving too slow, but you can't pass them due to an upcoming corner or oncoming traffic. Then when the coast is clear, they speed up, so you would have to break the sound barrier to pass them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
oh, people who cruise in the passing lane and refuse to move over for faster traffic. Not only is it illegal (regardless of whether the person is going the speed limit or not), it creates a dangerous condition by forcing someone to pass on the right.

people who refuse to turn down their radio when they come to a stop light or enter a neighborhood.

People who don't know that you have to stop at the stop sign or white line instead of at the intersection. When a sidewalk exists, the stop sign is before the sidewalk to make sure kids riding bikes and pedestrians are not plowed over by a car pulling up to the street where they can see. Stop before the sidewalk, then proceed to the street.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

I still like the 2 spaces after the period. See what I mean? 😉
That is just etched in so deep that it's hard to override. But, it is at least in my thought process to consider no longer doing.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
People who think they know everything and won't listen to facts they disagree with.

People that "could care less" and don't let me know how much less they could care. I'd like to know how much less, so that I could carry on with the conversation and know when to stop before they "couldn't care less" about it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Two spaces after a period was taught in a lot of prep schools for years. I personally still prefer it since it allows my eye to rest a moment longer as my brain processes the fact that a new thought is coming next.

But that is just me and I am well aware that the single space after a period has been pushed a long time as the proper construction.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
1. People who pronounce forte using the Italian musical pronunciation that rhymes with lay, instead of the French pronunciation for strong suit that rhymes with tort, when they mean personal strength rather than musically loud.

2. The fact that if enough people say something “incorrectly” over time the rules change.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Two spaces after a period was taught in a lot of prep schools for years. I personally still prefer it since it allows my eye to rest a moment longer as my brain processes the fact that a new thought is coming next.

But that is just me and I am well aware that the single space after a period has been pushed a long time as the proper construction.
Two spaces was never correct typesetting. Never. However, like most things, necessity (manual typewriters and non-uniform typeset sizing) led people to start doing it. However, you can pick any professional publication anywhere in the world, any year of the world, and you would find that 1 space after a period has always been the convention.

Most publications are fully justified, so the spacing between words is almost alway irregular. Your comment about a place to rest your eyes doesn’t make much sense to me.

You’ll notice, even on your phone, when you hit two spaces at the end of a sentence it will add the period and a single space. Two spaces has become an accepted norm by most style manuals, but all I’ve ever looked at state a single space is the proper convention.

I find people who use 2 spaces are 45 or older and all claim it’s too difficult to change or looks weird. I, too, learned with two spaces after a period; it took me 1 long report to break myself of the habit. To me, it looks clunky, especially with full justification, but to each his/her/their/tree/sponge own.