Name and Likeness Law Signed by Kemp

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Again this is a free market in operation, simple concept. When the price point gets high enough that consumers (fans) are pushed out of the market (they don’t but tickets) the market will correct. Whether we like it or not isn’t relevant at all.

professional sports have continuously adapted over time and the public’s preferences for spend money on attending/watching sports has changed over time as well.

The same is true for college sports. Basically it’s adapt or become extinct.

Older fans don’t generally like the changing landscape. Heck virtually none of us played soccer as kids. Now soccer is the biggest youth sport in the Country. When that generation becomes the market force the economics of sports will change along with the consumers desires. Basic free market in action.

You seem to favor non free market systems where athletes have no power or say in their sports (business). Your opinion counts as much as mine, not beyond how we spend our discretionary dollars on sports entertainment.
You totally miss the WHOLE point. It's college sports, not professional sports. College sports is supposed to NOT be professional sports. It's attitudes like yours that allow these types of changes to occur, thus ruining it for everyone else. I understand how free-market economics works. College athletics is not supposed to be that way.

I'm done discussing this. There will always be a segment of the population that sees a change of any kind as progress and a segment of the population that always sees change as the ruination of what they love. The reality is somewhere in the middle; not all change is good (i.e. paying college football players, having a weak NCAA that allows the arms wars to happen), and not all change is bad (i.e. concussion protocols, improvement in equipment, the forward pass).

Personally, I think the schools should institute a rule disallowing any coach's salary from being higher than the average of the five highest-paid academic faculty members on campus. That would certainly help to settle some of these runaway salaries.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
You totally miss the WHOLE point. It's college sports, not professional sports. College sports is supposed to NOT be professional sports. It's attitudes like yours that allow these types of changes to occur, thus ruining it for everyone else. I understand how free-market economics works. College athletics is not supposed to be that way.

I'm done discussing this. There will always be a segment of the population that sees a change of any kind as progress and a segment of the population that always sees change as the ruination of what they love. The reality is somewhere in the middle; not all change is good (i.e. paying college football players, having a weak NCAA that allows the arms wars to happen), and not all change is bad (i.e. concussion protocols, improvement in equipment, the forward pass).

Personally, I think the schools should institute a rule disallowing any coach's salary from being higher than the average of the five highest-paid academic faculty members on campus. That would certainly help to settle some of these runaway salaries.
I think the point is it’s already happened.

This is where everything has been headed for quite a long time and complaining about it won’t stop it. Personally I think it all goes back to what I call the ESPNization of college sports. Back in the day with limited TV availability local rivalries and conference
championships were the big thing. With more widespread coverage it became more about hype, hot takes and top 10 lists or ranking players, coaches, recruits and pretty much anything else. Personalities became more important to draw eyes and create drama. The money followed and we eventually ended up where we are now. There was no real way to stop it when individuals became as big as the teams they coached or played for. I’m not complaining because I love having more options to watch and for those who think the current developments are some kind of death knell I say it’s the logical next steps for college sports.
Interesting...but college football fans don't watch or go to games to see that personality or that player. They cheer for their team, which is a different group of players every year. Who was the star at Alabama this year that everybody went to see? or at UGA. We certainly have none. When I was younger I did not go to Tech games to watch ELI. I went to cheer for Tech. Now pro football, yea I agree, but that is why I don't watch pro football.

GT_EE78

Banned
in the absense of a federal law and only 20-30 states woking on NIL laws along with wide disparity in effective dates,
cold NIL recipients be ineligible to play in the ameteur states?

slugboy

Staff member
What is soccer you talk about? But we did play war with bb guns so we would know when you got shot. And we drink water out of a garden hose and stay outside from 9 am till dark.
You can still do that. You’re old enough to even stay out past 9.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Last comment. Attitude has nothing to do with how college sports have changed. It is 100% about money. Thus the free market analogy applies. Division III is what you see as the correct approach. Money won’t allow that to happen.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
in the absense of a federal law and only 20-30 states woking on NIL laws along with wide disparity in effective dates,
cold NIL recipients be ineligible to play in the ameteur states?
That’s why the NCAA has said they want something in place by July 1 I assume.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Interesting...but college football fans don't watch or go to games to see that personality or that player. They cheer for their team, which is a different group of players every year. Who was the star at Alabama this year that everybody went to see? or at UGA. We certainly have none. When I was younger I did not go to Tech games to watch ELI. I went to cheer for Tech. Now pro football, yea I agree, but that is why I don't watch pro football.
You are correct but part of the year round narrative now is who is your team recruiting and how they rank, way to early Heisman hype and all the other things that keep the money machine turning. Sure I go to watch Tech, but I would suggest who is playing and their profile has an impact on coverage, attendance and the bottom line. Of course you need to win as well but players drive the narrative.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Take a look at baseball. In addition who's to say a high school kid can't compete at the professional level? Why mandate that college football players must wait 3 yrs to go pro? Oh, it's for their own good.

Well, technically you get a paycheck for your job, which is being in the Army/Navy/AF. Just like a SA getting paid for their job if they go get one as an intern, landscaper, etc. Nothing stops SA's from working and getting paid, you just weren't able to make sports (and things like NIL directly related to it) that job.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think this is a bad law. It tells the universities in Georgia it is OK to violate the rules of an organization they joined voluntarily. If uga and GT want to pay the their players, or allow them to be paid by boosters, then drop out of the NCAA and form your own pro, or semi-pro ( if that feels better), organization and follow their rules. While I generally hate the NCAA, their primary role is to ensure fairness among the schools that compete in the various sports. Kemp, and the GA leg decided fairness is not important. What they have done is remove a Jenga block from college sports. Florida and California are removing one as well. The tower is coming down. Sure as you are reading this post.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a bad law. It tells the universities in Georgia it is OK to violate the rules of an organization they joined voluntarily. If uga and GT want to pay the their players, or allow them to be paid by boosters, then drop out of the NCAA and form your own pro, or semi-pro ( if that feels better), organization and follow their rules. While I generally hate the NCAA, their primary role is to ensure fairness among the schools that compete in the various sports. Kemp, and the GA leg decided fairness is not important. What they have done is remove a Jenga block from college sports. Florida and California are removing one as well. The tower is coming down. Sure as you are reading this post.
Well, they're sure failing at their primary duty as you have described.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
It’s down man. If the NCAA doesn’t come out with rules to address it Congress will.

GT_EE78

Banned
It’s down man. If the NCAA doesn’t come out with rules to address it Congress will.
If supreme court confirms the 9th circus appeals court ruling ,it sounds like NCAA will be partly out of the loop(article below)(Alston versus NCAA)
Conferences could step in to provide constraints.
NCAA is expected to start suing the states depending what the supremes do.
senate has 6 pieces of legislation to work thru, One replaces the NCAA with a new association just for NIL issues.
Who knows if all states will be supporting NIL?
Don't be surprised if some states sue congress to challenge their authority in the matter (10th amendment versus interstate commerce clause)
What a mess.....

If they do go forward on July 1, hopefully any one who accepts NIL money would just be declared ineligible and all games forfeited if they play.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
It kind of blows my mind some of y'all are so upset about these kids getting paid. The NCAA makes billions and these schools make millions of dollars and y'all don't think the actual product should get any piece of that?

And please don't come at me with the "they get a scholarship, meals, a place to sleep and workout, and some cool swag." Go spend a week in the life of an athlete at GT and you might think about it differently. Once TV took over college athletics (especially football), the whole amateur thing went out the window. The top 15 schools gross over $1.5 billion in revenue. The bottom 5 (power 5) schools gross close to $150 million. Those aren't quite NFL numbers, but it's not quite amateur numbers either.

I'll add that unless you're a football player or Mark Texeira type player in another sport, the school doesn't give a crap about you after you leave. It may have gotten better, but I spent the better half of a decade chasing a dream playing minor league baseball after my Junior year and when I tried to come back to school the AA wouldn't even help me get signed up for classes. I had to go through the regular channels (which I had never done in the past) to try and figure out how to finish my degree.

So I'm sorry if you don't like the kids getting paid, but save the small few, the school doesn't care about most of the athletes that come through their programs anyway. If they can make some money while making the school millions, I'm all for it.

I also understand most of it will be for the best football players, but even if some of the better baseball, golf or other sport players can even use get some free meals or a little cash in their pocket, it's better than nothing.