My way too early, possibly problematic look at potential GT Hoops roster management

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Does Stoudamire hang on to Kelly's roster spot until the end of May or does Kelly run the risk of losing his spot if Stoudamire can replace him with a productive transfer?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Kelly has not talked to CDS about his plans for 2024 he's not as smart as I think he is. He is likely thinking he has three options: shoot the moon for the NBA right now; come back with hopes a better team makes the NCAAT and he is All-ACC; or simply bag the NBA, graduate and play internationally for a few years.

Declaring now does two things for him and CDS: one, it lets him hire an NCAA agent and retain is return option; two, makes it easier for a high profile guards to commit to GT before the signing date.

I said this last year and I think its still true. Kelly is a really nice college guard. He lacks the ability to create for himself that professional athletes should have. If he were a 6'9" forward and had the exact same skills this would be a very different discussion.

OTOH, he may have already decided it's now or never again for his dream. If that is the case, he should go for it.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
If miles stays in the draft he isn’t likely to get drafted but I can see him being a more versatile version of Anthony Morrow in the league. AMo had a decent run for a few years with OKC. Miles does have some sneaky athletic ability to go along with (inconsistent) NBA range. Hopefully he and CDS have talked this over and coach is backing this move with the option of returning.
I know a lot of people were down on Miles this year but I think he would be a significant loss if he decides not to return.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can see him being a more versatile version of Anthony Morrow in the league.
Morrow shot over 40% from the arc for his entire NBA career. He shot almost 90% from the FT line. For his career. Miles is 35% shooter from the college line. That is why AMo made it work in the NBA. He was a great shooter. And he played for nine seasons.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There’s no way imo that he gets drafted, I really hope Miles decides to come back to Tech for his senior season, and that he works with a professional shot coach or something this summer and gets his stroke back.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I can B.S. my way through a lot of forecasting and topics of discussion.

But one area that I can't even convince myself that I know what I'm talking about is predicting (in either football or basketball) who among fringy players might have a pro- career. I gather to get a handle on that stuff a person has to see way, way, way more players than I do, get them in workouts and than make a full time job of it.

I think about recent Gt players like Okogie, Alvarado, Lammers, Banks, Moses, Devoe, Usher and now Miles Kelly. I thought only Moses looked like an NBA player to me, with Alvarado second.

Miles Kelly doesn't look like an NBA player to me but that means nothing. Whatever criteria the NBA scouts use, I don't have a handle on it.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
There’s no way imo that he gets drafted, I really hope Miles decides to come back to Tech for his senior season, and that he works with a professional shot coach or something this summer and gets his stroke back.

They're just mock drafts, but I have never spotted him on one ever.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Miles Kelly has length for his position, athleticism, and very good ball handling and shooting skills. NBA teams value these things. I can see a team taking a second round flyer on him and putting him in the developmental league to see if he can become a pro player. I can also see them saying, "No, thank you." Neither would surprise me.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Miles Kelly has length for his position, athleticism, and very good ball handling and shooting skills. NBA teams value these things. I can see a team taking a second round flyer on him and putting him in the developmental league to see if he can become a pro player. I can also see them saying, "No, thank you." Neither would surprise me.
I would think he would be an un drafted guy who could get an invite to a Summer League team. But who knows. We will find out within 2 months

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep - thought he was in a good spot and that GT needed him to grow into that spot.
Guess CDS has a shiny new piece he wants instead 🤷‍♀️

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I was kinda hoping tefare would stay, but potential doesn't win games (and we'll see if it gets NIL money). And I thought there was a good chance that Sutton was going to beat him out for time anyway.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was kinda hoping tefare would stay, but potential doesn't win games (and we'll see if it gets NIL money). And I thought there was a good chance that Sutton was going to beat him out for time anyway.
Sutton's game is truly closer to a guard, than a post player. Tafara is somewhat opposite, although his athleticism facilitates him guarding 1-5.