My way too early, possibly problematic look at potential GT Hoops roster management

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
My impression is that Ndongo didn't play the 4 last year because he couldn't shoot but because no one else on the roster could play the 5. He was our Center by default. He shot only 12 three pointers and made 4 of them.

I'm not sure that I'm seeing anyone "pining" for a traditional 5, but if there were, it would be because of defense. Maybe offenses are spread these days, but post defense is still compulsory. Competent weak side defense to contain dribble drives, adequate size to establish and maintain post position for rebounding and to contain high percentage shots in the paint by opposing bigs are still vital components of team composition.

We GT fans are fully aware of what a hole in the middle does to a defense. Compare our teams' defensive stats when Lammers and James Banks were in there compared to when Wright, Howard and then Ndongo were in there. Winning is still 50% defense. In personnel decisions, there has to be a balance between offensive and defensive considerations. It is quite possible for an increase in offensive efficiency to fail to cover the losses in defensive efficiency.

What would stoudamire do with Chris Bosh? Would Bosh clog our spacing or would he play him at Center, or could Stoudamire figure it out with Bosh at 4?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So who is more likely to play--Moto or Onwu? Also is Powell a replacement for whom? Is O'Brien a backup to Reeves? Lots of pieces.
Lots of pieces.

And it’s not quite as easy as simply playing the 5 best players on the team. The pieces have to fit. We’ve said it a million times already but I can’t help myself from saying it again. We watched CDS juggle players last year until he found combinations that worked. He now has enough quality players he can make this work.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Lots of pieces.

And it’s not quite as easy as simply playing the 5 best players on the team. The pieces have to fit. We’ve said it a million times already but I can’t help myself from saying it again. We watched CDS juggle players last year until he found combinations that worked. He now has enough quality players he can make this work.
Some guys are practice guys and others are gamers. I think you are correct he will try different combos early to find his best gamers. There are some match ups that may dictate who gets more minutes as well. It will be interesting to see if he uses 7 or 8 player rotations.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
My impression is that Ndongo didn't play the 4 last year because he couldn't shoot but because no one else on the roster could play the 5. He was our Center by default. He shot only 12 three pointers and made 4 of them.

I'm not sure that I'm seeing anyone "pining" for a traditional 5, but if there were, it would be because of defense. Maybe offenses are spread these days, but post defense is still compulsory. Competent weak side defense to contain dribble drives, adequate size to establish and maintain post position for rebounding and to contain high percentage shots in the paint by opposing bigs are still vital components of team composition.

We GT fans are fully aware of what a hole in the middle does to a defense. Compare our teams' defensive stats when Lammers and James Banks were in there compared to when Wright, Howard and then Ndongo were in there. Winning is still 50% defense. In personnel decisions, there has to be a balance between offensive and defensive considerations. It is quite possible for an increase in offensive efficiency to fail to cover the losses in defensive efficiency.

What would stoudamire do with Chris Bosh? Would Bosh clog our spacing or would he play him at Center, or could Stoudamire figure it out with Bosh at 4?
He would play as Ndongo did last year.

Tourneybound20

Georgia Tech Fan
Every great team needs exceptional guard play,guys who can facilitate and score big.George,McCollum and Terry give us those things and Mustaf a potential surprise, possibly the best pro prospect out of.the bunch,adds depth.Backcourt stability will be something CDS can rely on with this group especially late in games.Great teams also need a star...a dominant player.I think we have that in Baye. He can take a game over all over the place and being surrounded by a more experienced group with talented players to play with will magnify his already impressive numbers and impact.We have the foundation to be a very solid team,its the X-factors like Mustaf, Sutton and Doryan who'll make the difference...all three will get an opportunity. I think the combined output of Powell and O'Brien on a nightly basis should be just what we need,experienced and physical play with the ability to put the ball in the basket when they're open.I believe they'll be minutes for either Souare or Mutombo depending on Doryan's ability to make an impact.
But the main points on how good we can be are what will the Nait George/Kowacie Reeves level ups look like,how good is McCollum,can one of the freshman or Souare surprise.If we get some positive answers to those 3-4 questions this team will be an NCAA tournament team with a chance to make a run.

Tourneybound20

Georgia Tech Fan
If he has been able to add size AND maintain any of that athleticism, I would tend to agree with you. Often being the biggest person on the floor, he was all over the court!

He is a big unknown for us next season. Most don't know much about him. I'm not sure anyone outside of the team and staff have a feel for what type of impact he might make.

Every great team needs exceptional guard play,guys who can facilitate and score big.George,McCollum and Terry give us those things and Mustaf a potential surprise, possibly the best pro prospect out of.the bunch,adds depth.Backcourt stability will be something CDS can rely on with this group especially late in games.Great teams also need a star...a dominant player.I think we have that in Baye. He can take a game over all over the place and being surrounded by a more experienced group with talented players to play with will magnify his already impressive numbers and impact.We have the foundation to be a very solid team,its the X-factors like Mustaf, Sutton and Doryan who'll make the difference...all three will get an opportunity. I think the combined output of Powell and O'Brien on a nightly basis should be just what we need,experienced and physical play with the ability to put the ball in the basket when they're open.I believe they'll be minutes for either Souare or Mutombo depending on Doryan's ability to make an impact.
But the main points on how good we can be are what will the Nait George/Kowacie Reeves level ups look like,how good is McCollum,can one of the freshman or Souare surprise.If we get some positive answers to those 3-4 questions this team will be an NCAA tournament team with a chance to make a run.
Something I wanted to elaborate on in regards to Baye.He's a unique talent who's overall game comes out this year and in seasons to come in the NBA.He moves extremely well for his size,his intangible stuff like timing,hand/eye stuff is jaw dropping to me.He had so many contorted finishes last year using both hands,virtually scored it WELL in every conceivable way.But the scary thing to me is the flashes of handle he showed attacking downhill from distance,spinning etc then making free throws or converting with power or finesse.He continues to add consistency to his jump shot and look out.Defensively he breaks some blocked shot numbers this year after seeing him block 3 in one possession at the combine.I'm super optimistic about him being overwhelming, as optimistic as I am on Sutton's potential impact.I've seen alot.of players in my day,the next this guy or that...but I have never seen in my life a player of that length and athleticism posses the bag of ball handling and footwork(and willingness to PASS) like Sutton.I get the same "bag" vibes as I got when I saw Tatum unleashed as a rookie for Boston.I've also seen guys with that level of skill just not be mentally ready to apply it at the college level when the physicality ramps up so we'll see but "that kid oozes potential" would be a gross understatement and hopefully that talent translates to wins!

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
How are these OTE guys qualifying academically?

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Self-directed learning. Good enough for me.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It makes for an interesting dilemma. George and McCollum are both starting. The question is who gets the third guard position, Mustaf, Terry or Reeves. I can see any of those three starting, but the other two are going to get plenty of minutes.
Those three spots will have 120 minutes to share among George, McCollum, Terry, Mustaf, and Reeves. No one will get 35 minutes unless there's a problem (injury, illness, etc.). I am not saying the minutes will be equal, but CDS has too much talent there to have guys with tired legs on the floor late in games. I repeat, starting games is not as important as finishing games. Guys want to be on the floor when the pot is big.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Those three spots will have 120 minutes to share among George, McCollum, Terry, Mustaf, and Reeves. No one will get 35 minutes unless there's a problem (injury, illness, etc.). I am not saying the minutes will be equal, but CDS has too much talent there to have guys with tired legs on the floor late in games. I repeat, starting games is not as important as finishing games. Guys want to be on the floor when the pot is big.
This is what I like about the roster. This depth gives us (1) a bunch of options against different opponents, and (2) the ability to bring Mustaf along at his pace - if he needs to be 'brought along' at all. 24 minutes per game on average means some 30 minute guys and some 20 minute guys; in football parlance, the ability to "go multiple" is there with this lineup.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
From what I recall, his injury wasn’t devastatingly serious - he just felt redshirting and getting a full Senior season was a better use of his eligibility. I’m excited to see Scary Lance Terry back on the court - he had a great last half of ACC play in 2023.
This is my understanding too, but there are others here who know specifics. I just remember about 1/2 way through the season they announced that he was better, but felt redshirting would be most beneficial for him so he could have a full year.