My favorite play - ABack Counter

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just watched the Pitt game again and wanted to share the following play type… I don't know why I love it. Every time they run it, I feel like I just found a 10 dollar bill on the ground.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That first play gets the LB's following the Aback motion and on top of that, both pulling OL's do a great job getting playside and making a block. The playside OT also does a great job of chipping the DE and getting a block on the MLB. It just goes to show how much has to happen correctly for a play to work. Good play call and good execution. Godhigh being explosive and quick didn't hurt, either.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I like this example.

Watch the safety completely sell out on the Aback motion. He runs 15 yards away from the direction of the actual play. Also, 3 of the 3 LB's get caught leaning in the direction of the Aback motion and are out of the play as well. That's 4 defenders, one being the sole deep safety, taking themselves out of the play by biting on motion. Unbelievable.

The playside LB stays home but overruns the play to the boundary and is easily blocked to the outside as Orwin cuts back. Then the playside wr does a great job of blocking the playside corner and it's simply a footrace to the endzone.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
This play works best against teams that don't know how to defend us... It's not a difference maker for the defense that Va Tech has thrown at us recently.

/

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This play works best against teams that don't know how to defend us... It's not a difference maker for the defense that Va Tech has thrown at us recently.

/
True, but it also works against any D that is tired of getting beat on the edge over and over and gamble by jumping on motion.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
True, but it also works against any D that is tired of getting beat on the edge over and over and gamble by jumping on motion.

Yes. And we could run this play enough to establish a threat (like the deep pass) so it keeps the D players home and helps us with the plays in the direction of motion. We hardly ran this play in 2013. I like this play because the two big OL guys get to crush the smaller perimeter Ds. Thats both physological and physical advantage GT.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
I have the same question. I kept hoping to see Godhigh run this play.

I think it has to do with the Defense and how they lined up or were playing the motion. If a defense is really heavy on attacking the motion and the backside of the defense is outnumbered all of a sudden this is a great play. If you have a defense that is sitting home or very physical corners it could get blown up or little to no gain. Weak side or side losing the motion/ a back, if that corner were to blitz it would blow this thing up.