My collected thoughts...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Rather than take to the board last night when I was filled up with beer and liquor, I decided to go to bed and collect my thoughts today before posting...it may not be that much better, but here it goes...

First...blowing a 21-point lead is inexcusable. In fact...it's the only time we've ever done it...yesterday represents the largest blown lead in Georgia Tech history. We've blown 20-point leads twice: 2013 Georgia, 1978 Georgia. I guess you have to have a 21-point lead to blow one, but this is pretty bad. It should NEVER happen. It's embarrassing. The team kept playing hard and all, but they too should be embarrassed and want to do everything to make sure that it never happens again.

The offense looked much better in the first half. The rocket tosses that were missing in obvious scenarios the past two games were run early and often and we executed the TO pretty well. The second half was a bit puzzling. We had some good drives, but just didn't capitalize when we needed to.

The defense had a pretty bad game. Gotsis going out hurt...a lot. Kallon did not play well when he replaced him. He was getting blown off the ball consistently. Very disappointing that we don't have someone else that can step in at DT right now. We got them in third and long quite a bit, but couldn't force punts. More often than not it was Williams scrambling for like 15 yards. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous...there are several other teams on our schedule that are going to do the same thing. We have got to scheme better for that scenario with an effective spy. If Gotsis was the spy, then losing him hurt even more...but when that happened we should have adjusted...maybe mike Davis the spy then? Oh..and DJ White has to make that pick...good lord, you couldn't have placed the ball more perfectly for him to make a play...that was a tough one to watch.

The problems we're having on special teams right now are just ridiculous. If we get a better punt off at the end of the first half, maybe they don't cut it to 7. Reminds me of a few years back before we hired Walkowsky when we were just god awful on special teams. We've got to get this corrected or it will continue to cost us games...

I love our coach and our scheme...but the coaching yesterday was abysmal. The stuff that transpired at the end of the first half was awful. I get the first pass play, and boy was it open. It's tough to tell from the replay, but I could have sworn Lynch slowed down when he turned his head to look back. Thomas probably could have put a little more air under it, but it was close. After that, the next two plays are horrible. QB Draw in a run scenario? Then you pass the ball on third down? We ran all of like 17 seconds off the clock on that drive. That was 100% the turning point of that game. We had a team that had struggled on offense for two weeks that had just gained a ton of confidence by jumping out to a 21-0 lead, and instead of taking a two score lead into the half the coaches create a scenario where it's a one score game at half?...horrible

So I'm going for the TD on the goal line, but the sneaks from the one yard line with Thomas are not my favorite play in the world. The guy's a gamer, but he's only 5'11", 189. The line could get some more push, but bigger QB's are typically better at executing the sneak. The times it's worked with him it barely works, and I can think of at least one time last November that turned out horribly (bogus call or not). We need to start giving to Skov there or use Matthew Jordan at the goal line.

Overall the season is looking grim. We still could easily have won the last two games, but bottom line...we didn't. Getting to 6 wins is going to be tough...the schedule doesn't have many easy W's listed...and for those saying "we can beat all the teams"...we could have beat Duke and UNC too...

I still love the Jackets though, and I'll be up in the top deck in Tiger Stadium next week hoping for a miracle.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
...so I checked...the record is for the modern era (1950 forward). Not sure if we blew a larger lead prior to 1950, but I'd guess not

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
In fact, we've only blown leads of 17+ eight times since 1950. Three have happened under PJ: 2015 UNC, 2013 Georgia, 2012 Miami.

This is a bit baffling. We are a team that prides itself on ball control and holding leads, yet we've blown three score leads three times in the past four seasons...this has to get corrected one way or another.

Declinometer

Banned
Rather than take to the board last night when I was filled up with beer and liquor, I decided to go to bed and collect my thoughts today before posting...it may not be that much better, but here it goes...

First...blowing a 21-point lead is inexcusable. In fact...it's the only time we've ever done it...yesterday represents the largest blown lead in Georgia Tech history. We've blown 20-point leads twice: 2013 Georgia, 1978 Georgia. I guess you have to have a 21-point lead to blow one, but this is pretty bad. It should NEVER happen. It's embarrassing. The team kept playing hard and all, but they too should be embarrassed and want to do everything to make sure that it never happens again.

The offense looked much better in the first half. The rocket tosses that were missing in obvious scenarios the past two games were run early and often and we executed the TO pretty well. The second half was a bit puzzling. We had some good drives, but just didn't capitalize when we needed to.

The defense had a pretty bad game. Gotsis going out hurt...a lot. Kallon did not play well when he replaced him. He was getting blown off the ball consistently. Very disappointing that we don't have someone else that can step in at DT right now. We got them in third and long quite a bit, but couldn't force punts. More often than not it was Williams scrambling for like 15 yards. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous...there are several other teams on our schedule that are going to do the same thing. We have got to scheme better for that scenario with an effective spy. If Gotsis was the spy, then losing him hurt even more...but when that happened we should have adjusted...maybe mike Davis the spy then? Oh..and DJ White has to make that pick...good lord, you couldn't have placed the ball more perfectly for him to make a play...that was a tough one to watch.

The problems we're having on special teams right now are just ridiculous. If we get a better punt off at the end of the first half, maybe they don't cut it to 7. Reminds me of a few years back before we hired Walkowsky when we were just god awful on special teams. We've got to get this corrected or it will continue to cost us games...

I love our coach and our scheme...but the coaching yesterday was abysmal. The stuff that transpired at the end of the first half was awful. I get the first pass play, and boy was it open. It's tough to tell from the replay, but I could have sworn Lynch slowed down when he turned his head to look back. Thomas probably could have put a little more air under it, but it was close. After that, the next two plays are horrible. QB Draw in a run scenario? Then you pass the ball on third down? We ran all of like 17 seconds off the clock on that drive. That was 100% the turning point of that game. We had a team that had struggled on offense for two weeks that had just gained a ton of confidence by jumping out to a 21-0 lead, and instead of taking a two score lead into the half the coaches create a scenario where it's a one score game at half?...horrible

So I'm going for the TD on the goal line, but the sneaks from the one yard line with Thomas are not my favorite play in the world. The guy's a gamer, but he's only 5'11", 189. The line could get some more push, but bigger QB's are typically better at executing the sneak. The times it's worked with him it barely works, and I can think of at least one time last November that turned out horribly (bogus call or not). We need to start giving to Skov there or use Matthew Jordan at the goal line.

Overall the season is looking grim. We still could easily have won the last two games, but bottom line...we didn't. Getting to 6 wins is going to be tough...the schedule doesn't have many easy W's listed...and for those saying "we can beat all the teams"...we could have beat Duke and UNC too...

I still love the Jackets though, and I'll be up in the top deck in Tiger Stadium next week hoping for a miracle.
I agree with everything said here except those weren't sneaks from the one yard line, they were QB follows. If we would have done QB sneaks like the one we did around mid field, with the quick count, that got about 2 yds, he would have scored easily.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with everything said here except those weren't sneaks from the one yard line, they were QB follows. If we would have done QB sneaks like the one we did around mid field, with the quick count, that got about 2 yds, he would have scored easily.
Maybe. I agree it may have been more effective considering the way the follows were run.

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
3rd & 1, 4th & 1, and we still can't get the score made all the difference in this ballgame. I agree about Gotsis. When he left the game for targeting, the D just fell apart. Momentum seemed to shift immediately, and we could not stop their elusive quarterback even on 3rd and long on many occasions. UNC was getting miracle 3rd and long conversions repeatedly pulling yardage out of a magic hat. When they stripped JeT, it was a lost cause. The weather didn't help much either with ball control, but you can't blame your losses and turnovers on weather entirely; they had a defender on JeT like white on rice in no time on that play. JeT never saw it coming. Overall, the offense appeared to show some signs of improvement over the last dreadful weeks, but consistency is not there yet. Passing game looked a lot better. ST's improved as well. I would like to know how many missed blocking assignments occurred in this game compared to the last two.

The big ? remains: Can they improve enough in time for Clemson in Death Valley brimming with confidence coming off the defeat of Notre Dame, a team that had our number all day long from the 1st snap??? I think we all know the answer to that question - not likely - but it's Clemson, so ANYTHING can happen if the Tigers get another bad case of Clemsonitis. Hopefully, CPJ is going to ring some bells this week. Our Jackets could sure use a big Conference victory right now to instill some confidence.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Justin also needs to plant his feet when he throws every now and then. I understand the scramble throw but he never plants his feet which makes it look like he's closing his eyes when he passes the ball. Maybe I'm wrong but the pass pro has not been as bad as it has been in the past few years and he seems to leave the pocket too early......I do drink alot during the games so I'm probably wrong

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for the correction. I was going on memory here, which was a bit fuzzy considering the state I was in.

I love the follow play when we're on a drive, as it gives the QB a chance to get in the hole and then cut, but the follow at the goal line is a bit odd. So if the goal is to get extra push so JT can get in, then wouldn't Skov already have to be in the end zone to begin with...so why not give it to him there?