My breakout player this year

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
So it looks now--guys that have made the biggest leaps to me
the big surprise on OFF- JT , next- Chamberlain? (how's that for coming from nowhere) or Snoddy
on Def-- Freeman,then Travis? (from 4th string possibly to starting)

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
the big surprise on OFF- JT , next- Chamberlain? (how's that for coming from nowhere) or Snoddy

Agree, but would add Freddie Burden

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

I expected it from JT, so I didn't have him as a breakout player...But I have to agree on Chamberlain. He has played a lot better...Snoddy is another good one.

On Defense PJ Davis has played really well besides the obvious play of Freeman.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Burden and Days on Offense. Days has always been a good blocker, but 2 X +100 yards games? Chamberlain is not dominate yet, but he is much improved. Errin can be dominate and could break out with more constancy. Devine is close to a break out and broke into the rotation.

PJ Davis and Freeman for sure!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Well my guy didn't make the roster..
I guess so far I'll go with Chamberlain
PJ Davis on D

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We've been so focused on the DL losses that we all forgot about Custis. Imagine if we would have had that dude.
He gained 200 this weekend when he got chance to play because # 1 juco player rb was out . As part time player he has 750 yds 0n about 100 carries. We can't afford to misfire on guys like this - negative recruiting fodder = if they let this great athlete stumble trying to get in , they can't be trusted to help u. Wish he could come back

Clear breakout offensive player justin thomas - went from backup to national stage. All defenses are focused at stopping him.
Defense I like the aggressive combo of pj davis and freeman.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We can't afford to misfire on guys like this - negative recruiting fodder = if they let this great athlete stumble trying to get in , they can't be trusted to help u.
This is really reaching right here. So what are you saying anyway? We shouldn't pursue borderline academic kids because they might not get in? Who misfired and how, anyway? I'm not sure why we're even offering kids before they actually pass the hill, anyway.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
This is really reaching right here. So what are you saying anyway? We shouldn't pursue borderline academic kids because they might not get in? Who misfired and how, anyway? I'm not sure why we're even offering kids before they actually pass the hill, anyway.

A lot of kids don't take the SAT/ACT until Senior year and we can't wait that late to offer them.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

We should have our xxxx together when we offer - heck yes we should offer top athletes and we should follow up. This kid was working out here then gone. We need an organization to find and support more athletes like Custis. Further - the net is small fishing in the overfished area of Georgia.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So even if a kid has a great GPA and just hasn't taken the SAT yet we move on? That would be an awful move for us. In fact several of out commits now wouldn't be commits if we went by that rule.
Then I misunderstood your original comment to me. How could it be "too late" if we have a bunch of commits right now who didn't take the SAT till their senior year? That doesn't sound like too late to me? Is this the infamous "non-commitable" offer I hear about? If so, I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with taking a commitment from a kid who hasn't met our lowest academic standards and then have them not get in after NSD. That's what I have a problem with.

Was lil' Autry and Custis kids with "great GPA's"?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Burden and Days on Offense. Days has always been a good blocker, but 2 X +100 yards games? Chamberlain is not dominate yet, but he is much improved. Errin can be dominate and could break out with more constancy. Devine is close to a break out and broke into the rotation.

PJ Davis and Freeman for sure!
Joe is a good one. We heard all year about how he was overweight and probably wasn't even going to be in the rotation. Turns out he just likes to eat and dominate.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I still to this day do not know how we lost Custis so having an opinion on other recruits "like him" is very hard to have because I have no idea what his deal was.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Should we start a thread of the breakout player for the balance of the year?
But must be someone not making headlines. We need some serious breakouts for this year to finish strong.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Then I misunderstood your original comment to me. How could it be "too late" if we have a bunch of commits right now who didn't take the SAT till their senior year? That doesn't sound like too late to me? Is this the infamous "non-commitable" offer I hear about? If so, I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with taking a commitment from a kid who hasn't met our lowest academic standards and then have them not get in after NSD. That's what I have a problem with.

Was lil' Autry and Custis kids with "great GPA's"?

I said we can't wait that late to offer kids...Someone who doesn't have a good SAT score (or has no score at all due to not taking it) hasn't passed the hill yet. So kids we offer and take commits from during the Junior year and rising to Senior year a lot of times haven't evem taken the SAT yet...My point is just because someone hasn't passed the hill yet due to a test score they haven't taken is no reason not to offer...we go off of if we think that person can make it once they get into Tech.

How many times have we taken someone and have them not get in after NSD? A SMALL number.

Neither Autry or Custis had great GPA's...but neither did Dywer, Morgan Burnett, Bay Bay, etc.