Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Yes, that’s about right

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Collins will be fired by week 6

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it is possible to go 6-6, not likely, but possible. We would almost certainly have to win one of UCF/Ole Miss to get there.

It's hard though to see a 4 game win streak when we have only won 3 a year for 3 straight years, with no wins over teams with winning records and no back to back wins in the last 3 seasons.
Of course it's "possible", but going 2-10 is also possible, not likely, but possible.

This may be the full extent of any "progress" this season - winning back-to-back games for the first time under the current coach, against Duke (homecoming!) and UVa (home Thursday night ESPN game after bye), and then maybe even finding a fourth win somewhere unknown to break the potential of a 3-3-3-3 streak.

I'm counting on WCU and Duke being absolutely must-wins (or this season will go down in flames as a historic failure), and we will most likely have to win 2 out of UVa (home), Va Poly (away), UCF (away), or F$U(away) to make it to my predicted 4 wins. I think the remaining 6 are out of reach this year. Hell, I think UCF and F$U both on the road are on the fringe of being out of reach too, but considering them as possibles and thinking we'll get 4 wins qualifies as being optimistic for a lot of people in 2022.

JacketFan137

Banned
Of course it's "possible", but going 2-10 is also possible, not likely, but possible.

This may be the full extent of any "progress" this season - winning back-to-back games for the first time under the current coach, against Duke (homecoming!) and UVa (home Thursday night ESPN game after bye), and then maybe even finding a fourth win somewhere unknown to break the potential of a 3-3-3-3 streak.

I'm counting on WCU and Duke being absolutely must-wins (or this season will go down in flames as a historic failure), and we will most likely have to win 2 out of UVa (home), Va Poly (away), UCF (away), or F$U(away) to make it to my predicted 4 wins. I think the remaining 6 are out of reach this year. Hell, I think UCF and F$U both on the road are on the fringe of being out of reach too, but considering them as possibles and thinking we'll get 4 wins qualifies as being optimistic for a lot of people in 2022.
what about unc makes you think they are out of reach? their defense looked vulnerable this weekend and we hammered them last year on both sides of the ball. not a guaranteed win but out of reach is a stretch to me

same goes for miami. sims looked hurt and probably played his worst game last year against miami and it was a one score game. i know they are being touted as a favorite in the coastal but i think we’ve heard that every year they’ve been in the conference and they’ve won it one time.

honestly in the acc the only team that i think may be considered out of reach is clemson and we played them tight last year too. every week is gonna be a battle. should be fun!

Jimd99

Georgia Tech Fan
We have never lost this many games to clemson in a row, or anyone else that I can think of for that matter (I could be wrong). It ends this year without B Venables. Call me naive but I have faith in Long and Weinke…
I remember being at Grant Field when we lost to Klempsum for the first time in 23 years...we thought the world was ending!

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson (W) - new coaches, at "home", first game, and we almost beat them last year
WCU (W) - we beat them come on
Ole Miss (L) - see this as a loss
UCF (W) - new QB and we will want revenge for the bull**** game before
Pitt (W) - they lost Pickett and Addison, we win but it will be close
Duke (W) - we beat them easily
UVA (W) - we come off a bye and it's at home
FSU (L) - I say we lose this one cause it's at their place but I'm 50/50 we could win
VT (W) - new coach and QB
Miami (W) - new coach and we always play them tough
UNC (W) - we beat their *** last year and they lost Howell
UGA (L) - unfortunately we get blown out

I personally think we could win all these games listed because our Offense will be way better this year. If we lose to Clemson, as well as lose a game we shouldn't we could end up 7-5 , but I think 9-3 is possible.... I'm definitely not being overly optimistic..

Buzz_404

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson (W) - new coaches, at "home", first game, and we almost beat them last year
WCU (W) - we beat them come on
Ole Miss (L) - see this as a loss
UCF (W) - new QB and we will want revenge for the bull**** game before
Pitt (W) - they lost Pickett and Addison, we win but it will be close
Duke (W) - we beat them easily
UVA (W) - we come off a bye and it's at home
FSU (L) - I say we lose this one cause it's at their place but I'm 50/50 we could win
VT (W) - new coach and QB
Miami (W) - new coach and we always play them tough
UNC (W) - we beat their *** last year and they lost Howell
UGA (L) - unfortunately we get blown out

I personally think we could win all these games listed because our Offense will be way better this year. If we lose to Clemson, as well as lose a game we shouldn't we could end up 7-5 , but I think 9-3 is possible.... I'm definitely not being overly optimistic..
See, people are like “9-3 is not possible” you just proved it is, even 10-2 beating fsu is obtainable, we will be better than people expect this year, I don’t think we will be that good (even though it is possible) but 6-6 or 7-5 seems more likely, but it is also possible we go 2-10 or 3-9, this season might be a miracle or another tough one

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I would like to believe that new coaching will somehow overcome the loss of 2/3s of our starters off a 3 win team but it is just too big a stretch .
It might be. We're about to find out. I've felt for the last three years that we had the talent but lacked the coaching. It would be a shame if we found some coaching but lost the talent. For me, this is one of the most intriguing seasons we've had on the Flats in a long time. Kickoff is exactly 1 week and 14 minutes from right now.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
After reading these threads I could almost be optimistic, but alas I can't get myself there. Most likely total wins

3 wins then next most likely win total
2 wins then
4 wins then down to
1 win
5 wins
0 wins
6 and so on

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This, to me, sums up most of our games.

Clemson has a clear talent advantage across the board. So do FSU, UNC, and Miami, according to the 2021 ACC talent composite. (Granted, they had some go away via draft, but we lost some to transfer and NFL as well). Add in uga and Ole Miss and there are 6 teams, ON PAPER, that we shouldn't beat. However, Clemson slipped some last season and we might find they are still struggling this season. Playing them game one is probably more advantageous for us than them. There's also the pressure for them to come out of the gate strong to begin their playoff drive, whereas there are no expectations for GT in this game.

FSU has coaching questions to resolve, UNC has yet to put it all together, and Miami is a Jekyll/Hyde program lately. While I would bet good money Miami runs away with the Coastal this year, I'm not dumb enough to get burned again by declaring it so just yet.

In all, these 4 ACC games are winnable. Ole Miss has a new QB, but their coach is an offensive genius. Winnable game but most likely an L. So with uga, that's six likely losses but with realistic upset chances in a few of them.

I really like our chances against UVA and VT in the ACC. I think we win both of those.

Duke and WNC are wins. If not, CGC is dead man walking.

That leaves UCF and Pitt. Both of these games are the hardest for me to get a read on. UCF could very well be a win. They are starting a new QB as well, but we are going to them and ALL the pressure will be on us. I'm calling for a close win.

As for Pitt, again, they are replacing a LOT of offensive production. Their DL is good though, and they will give our OL fits, especially of said OL hasn't come into its own by that point. Talent wise the two teams were close last year. Should be about the same this year. This is a winnable game against what I consider to be a team that could also surprise and challenge for the Coastal.

My gut says we win 5 this year, but there's a nagging suspicion we might be the surprise of the year in college football, winning 6-7 games and being very close in all but one or two.

That's about as bold as I can get right not.
Pretty bold all right considering there are two and only two sure wins: Western Carolina and Duke. I think we can win UVA and maybe Virginia Tech. That is about as "bold" as I am willing to go until I see how both lines perform. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
See, people are like “9-3 is not possible” you just proved it is, even 10-2 beating fsu is obtainable, we will be better than people expect this year, I don’t think we will be that good (even though it is possible) but 6-6 or 7-5 seems more likely, but it is also possible we go 2-10 or 3-9, this season might be a miracle or another tough one
If Tech wins more than 5 games, Geoff ought to be coach of the year with an extension. I don't really think that will happen but a lot will depend upon the first four games. Win two and we are in pretty good shape. Only win one and its Katie bar the door.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If Tech wins more than 5 games, Geoff ought to be coach of the year with an extension. I don't really think that will happen but a lot will depend upon the first four games. Win two and we are in pretty good shape. Only win one and its Katie bar the door.
Absolutely not. Winning 6 games should be the bare minimum to maybe not get fired and would have been considered unacceptable performance in need of improvement for the last 2+ decades of Tech football. If you want to start talking about COY and an extension he needs to be winning 8+ games which means we are likely in the ACC championship, not barely qualifying for a bowl.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
So, I think if we win 6 games and make a bowl game then Geoff will not be fired. He will get a 1-2 year extension with a MASSIVELY reduced buyout clause. Basically, his contract becomes "prove this season was not a fluke and you get to keep your job"

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
So, I think if we win 6 games and make a bowl game then Geoff will not be fired. He will get a 1-2 year extension with a MASSIVELY reduced buyout clause. Basically, his contract becomes "prove this season was not a fluke and you get to keep your job"
He doesn't deserve an extension yet. He will still have 3 years on his original contract. He needs to prove one good year is not a fluke and that assumes he has one this year.
His season will be largely dependent on Sims. Does he stay for 2023 if he has graduated? He will have 2 years of eligibility left with 3 years as a starter.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
After reading these threads I could almost be optimistic, but alas I can't get myself there. Most likely total wins

3 wins then next most likely win total
2 wins then
4 wins then down to
1 win
5 wins
0 wins
6 and so on
I think you can be a little more optimistic! The chances of us winning 0 are the same as us winning 12... nil. 1 win is as about as likely as 10 or 11 wins. The trend and our schedule certainly make 3 seem like a wise bet but I think 4-5 wins is most likely at this point, and I think we win 6 before we win only 2.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
He doesn't deserve an extension yet. He will still have 3 years on his original contract. He needs to prove one good year is not a fluke and that assumes he has one this year.
His season will be largely dependent on Sims. Does he stay for 2023 if he has graduated? He will have 2 years of eligibility left with 3 years as a starter.
I agree that he does not deserve an extension yet, but football coaches are generally given extensions to keep their contracts at 4 years or more. That way other schools can't say to recruits "Well look at his contract he won't even be here your senior year." That's I why I think if he wins 6 and makes a bowl then he will get a SHORT extension (hopefully heavily incentive laden) and his contract will become a "Prove it to me" kind of situation.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I will trade you a loss to VT, UVA, UCF for an upset win over Clemson. Would love to see Dabo go down.

I will trade you 1-12 if the win is over UGA. Because UGa.

I can say these things because we aren’t going to break .500 anyway,

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
I think you can be a little more optimistic! The chances of us winning 0 are the same as us winning 12... nil. 1 win is as about as likely as 10 or 11 wins. The trend and our schedule certainly make 3 seem like a wise bet but I think 4-5 wins is most likely at this point, and I think we win 6 before we win only 2.
Perhaps but unfortunately I think there is a higher probability of this team losing all of its games than winning six or more. If this team looses to WCU (and I hope they don't) then the odds of 0-12 go way up.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps but unfortunately I think there is a higher probability of this team losing all of its games than winning six or more. If this team looses to WCU (and I hope they don't) then the odds of 0-12 go way up.
I hear you, I just disagree. There’s no way we go 0-fer. If we are winless, it is because of something catastrophic. Simple ineptitude won’t be enough.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely not. Winning 6 games should be the bare minimum to maybe not get fired and would have been considered unacceptable performance in need of improvement for the last 2+ decades of Tech football. If you want to start talking about COY and an extension he needs to be winning 8+ games which means we are likely in the ACC championship, not barely qualifying for a bowl.
OK. I am just saying that with expectations in the media so low, any success with be regarded with astonishment. Part of my post was just me being a wise guy.