Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Yes, that’s about right

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Collins will be fired by week 6

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has 2 brand new coordinators, 1 of those never being a position coach before. DJ didn’t look great in Clemson fall camp and the rumor is the might use Klubnik also and 2 QB systems usually don’t pan out. I’m taking tech over Clemson with it being the first game of the year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Hear me out, this year is do or die, Collins has nothing to lose, the players finally buy in to the program, players BELIEVE, something we haven’t had in the Collins era, some new coaches and catching some teams off guard can and will lead to a bowl game season
I hear you and respect your enthusiasm and optimism but I have heard this song and dance many times before. This team will go as far as both lines will take it.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has 2 brand new coordinators, 1 of those never being a position coach before. DJ didn’t look great in Clemson fall camp and the rumor is the might use Klubnik also and 2 QB systems usually don’t pan out. I’m taking tech over Clemson with it being the first game of the year.
I have no idea what to expect from Clemson and am not saying we will lose but their entire DL will likely be high draft picks so I expect us to have difficulty with that unit especially, regardless of who is coaching them.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I have no idea what to expect from Clemson and am not saying we will lose but their entire DL will likely be high draft picks so I expect us to have difficulty with that unit especially, regardless of who is coaching them.

This, to me, sums up most of our games.

Clemson has a clear talent advantage across the board. So do FSU, UNC, and Miami, according to the 2021 ACC talent composite. (Granted, they had some go away via draft, but we lost some to transfer and NFL as well). Add in uga and Ole Miss and there are 6 teams, ON PAPER, that we shouldn't beat. However, Clemson slipped some last season and we might find they are still struggling this season. Playing them game one is probably more advantageous for us than them. There's also the pressure for them to come out of the gate strong to begin their playoff drive, whereas there are no expectations for GT in this game.

FSU has coaching questions to resolve, UNC has yet to put it all together, and Miami is a Jekyll/Hyde program lately. While I would bet good money Miami runs away with the Coastal this year, I'm not dumb enough to get burned again by declaring it so just yet.

In all, these 4 ACC games are winnable. Ole Miss has a new QB, but their coach is an offensive genius. Winnable game but most likely an L. So with uga, that's six likely losses but with realistic upset chances in a few of them.

I really like our chances against UVA and VT in the ACC. I think we win both of those.

Duke and WNC are wins. If not, CGC is dead man walking.

That leaves UCF and Pitt. Both of these games are the hardest for me to get a read on. UCF could very well be a win. They are starting a new QB as well, but we are going to them and ALL the pressure will be on us. I'm calling for a close win.

As for Pitt, again, they are replacing a LOT of offensive production. Their DL is good though, and they will give our OL fits, especially of said OL hasn't come into its own by that point. Talent wise the two teams were close last year. Should be about the same this year. This is a winnable game against what I consider to be a team that could also surprise and challenge for the Coastal.

My gut says we win 5 this year, but there's a nagging suspicion we might be the surprise of the year in college football, winning 6-7 games and being very close in all but one or two.

That's about as bold as I can get right not.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Some people seem to believe that we have one coach, while the other 10 guys sit around drinking coffee and BS. For what we were paying a staff the last 3 years, and the team that they inherited, and the fact that we played more top 15 teams than anyone in the country, we did about as well as can be expected. Clemson was paying 2 coordinators combined more than we were paying all 10 assistants combined.

Someone finally got the message and Long is making twice what Patenaude was making. He is still well below Clemson and Georgie OC money but at least P5 competitive. We spent money on the O staff, but still aren't spending for the D staff.

If people want a better staff they had better be willing to pay for it, and they aren't. We don't have the money to pay Collins $9MM and also buy out assistants with 2 year contracts after this year---and then hire a staff that will want even more money, or will be of worse quality. People who think that is going to happen may as well believe that it will rain craft beer.

Bottom line: For what we are spending, our current staff is as good as we are going to do. We finally have an offensive staff that is of good quality, and we finally have a team with P5 size and depth. It has taken 4 years to get there, and we still need a year of experience for players and for the coaches to work with them and with each other.
If we stay the course, we will win 7 next year. https://fbschedules.com/2023-georgia-tech-football-schedule/ It looks like we still have an FCS team to schedule for next year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like your optimism, but I’ll bite. You are naive.
If you don't approach the coming season with at least some optimism, why are you a fan? 8itching on a message board cannot be the foundation of your interest in the team. This poster has the same amount of naivety as every true fan. The score always begins with zero for both teams and a true fan starts every game with hope for a win. If you begin the season bellyaching about the team while looking for confirmation, you are not a fan.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Offense will live and die on a very unproven and young OL. Tough assignment with Clemson DL out of gate, and ESPN projects our schedule as 4th toughest in country. Will be tough sledding for OL.

Can we stay healthy? OL is probably single biggest ? for team, which is not good and why GT is picked to finish below all but Duke. Barring attrition OL should start to look seasoned/deeper in 2023.

However Collins has to win now to keep his job and I don't8 see it vs our schedule. He let too many slip away and did not buy himself time. Unless Chip or Key is next HC IMO most offensive starters leave including Sims and many OL and we start all over again.

But if D manages huge jump, we get lucky with schedule, and O is better than expected, we could maybe win 5 maybe. If we look like a tough, hard-nosed, well-coached team that doesn't quit and has promising players in the wings maybe he gets another year.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh goody... someone throws the "true fan" nonsense again.

How about a "true fan" wants what's best for Georgia Tech, it's just that people you disagree with have differing opinions on how to achieve the same goal. What's best for Georgia Tech is more important than what's best for any current coach. any current AD, or any current fan. Sometimes a painful change is what's best, not putting up a facade of forced optimism and pretending that everything is fine, which only delays treating the problems Tech clearly has and allows them to grow worse.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is a true fan unless you try to go to the home games and cheer the team on no matter how bad the situation is. You need to show up because it makes the players know that you have their back.

JacketFan137

Banned
You seem to be reading more into the OPs comments than were actually there. The OP clearly used the phrase "seemed to lose the locker room last season" and stated several times that the points he was making was personal opinion. You might not always like someone else's point of view, but you don't get to determine what other people think. Attacking the point of view in the manner you have done doesn't really further debate. If anything, it only entrenches peoples opinions. If someone is presenting patently false information, or presenting opinion as fact, that is another matter entirely. In this case, everything was presented as opinion.
at no point did i attack any point of view. I disagreed and asked questions that he is more than welcome to defend. this is what this forum is supposed to be for. while he said he "seemed" to lose the locker room, he went on to state the rest of his views as facts (social media, me culture) which is what i disagree with and believe is unfair to both players and the coaches.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Nobody is a true fan unless you try to go to the home games and cheer the team on no matter how bad the situation is. You need to show up because it makes the players know that you have their back.

That limits us to, at best, 55,000 "true fans." That puts us way behind SEC schools in generating "true fans."

See how silly this argument is?

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
That limits us to, at best, 55,000 "true fans." That puts us way behind SEC schools in generating "true fans."

See how silly this argument is?
Yeah you're right. But still please COME OUT TO BOBBY DODD THIS YEAR. Last year we were not a good team but if you really want to help do the ONE THING you can do as a fan... SHOW UP AND CHEER! (this is more directed to other people not just you augusta jacket)

JacketFan137

Banned
Oh goody... someone throws the "true fan" nonsense again.

How about a "true fan" wants what's best for Georgia Tech, it's just that people you disagree with have differing opinions on how to achieve the same goal. What's best for Georgia Tech is more important than what's best for any current coach. any current AD, or any current fan. Sometimes a painful change is what's best, not putting up a facade of forced optimism and pretending that everything is fine, which only delays treating the problems Tech clearly has and allows them to grow worse.
the issue that me and some of the other people have with this logic is that collins is currently employed here and isn’t going anywhere for at least a few months. that has been the case since stansbury put out that statement.

i don’t think anybody is sitting here proclaiming collins as THE GUY. to be honest i think if he was fired tomorrow no one here would be sad. that being said, what is all the constant moaning and whining bringing? the change isn’t happening now, it wasn’t happening in april, it wasn’t happening in february.

at some point it’s hard not to question why people just exist here solely to complain. especially for the 9 months no games are being played. once the season starts i get it entirely. at that point the fans feelings are actionable and there’s new information. as of right now however, we STILL have people crying about northern illinois, syracuse and citadel when we have a lot of other things going on. it takes most threads maybe 2-3 pages to turn into the same arguments about how collins sucks and should be fired.

if you want to say that it’s the negative users opinion to constantly moan and whine that is fair, but it can also be the opinion of the rest of the people that certain behaviors are not the behaviors of a true fan.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If you don't approach the coming season with at least some optimism, why are you a fan? 8itching on a message board cannot be the foundation of your interest in the team. This poster has the same amount of naivety as every true fan. The score always begins with zero for both teams and a true fan starts every game with hope for a win. If you begin the season bellyaching about the team while looking for confirmation, you are not a fan.
This makes no sense. By your own definition the OP also isn't a true fan because he thinks we will get blown out in some games.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think it is possible to go 6-6, not likely, but possible. We would almost certainly have to win one of UCF/Ole Miss to get there.

It's hard though to see a 4 game win streak when we have only won 3 a year for 3 straight years, with no wins over teams with winning records and no back to back wins in the last 3 seasons.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

1661800314680.png

Just joking...but it's been rumored we do have some of those around here.
But in my case - one week 'til kickoff? I'm imagining we have a shot at an ACC championship, just like this time of the year in 2021, 2020, 2019...

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
at some point it’s hard not to question why people just exist here solely to complain. especially for the 9 months no games are being played. once the season starts i get it entirely. at that point the fans feelings are actionable and there’s new information. as of right now however, we STILL have people crying about northern illinois, syracuse and citadel when we have a lot of other things going on. it takes most threads maybe 2-3 pages to turn into the same arguments about how collins sucks and should be fired.

if you want to say that it’s the negative users opinion to constantly moan and whine that is fair, but it can also be the opinion of the rest of the people that certain behaviors are not the behaviors of a true fan.
You know cynicism is frequently viewed or conflated with a sign of high intelligence. It's not. But some people view it that way. may or may not be related to this phenomena

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I would like to believe that new coaching will somehow overcome the loss of 2/3s of our starters off a 3 win team but it is just too big a stretch .