Music to my Defensive ears

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This has to be #1 priority on the list of "fixes" - "Third-down defense, where Tech was 114th at 46.1 percent, is a priority. "

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here are the facts to take away from the end of last year:
"It bears mention, though, that Tech was 29-for-75 (38.7 percent) in its final six games. All six teams were in the top half of the country in offensive third-down conversion rate."

Think about that.

We got a lot better on third down playing better teams at the end of the season.

Reason for optimism, but don't mean **** till we do it this year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Here are the facts to take away from the end of last year:
"It bears mention, though, that Tech was 29-for-75 (38.7 percent) in its final six games. All six teams were in the top half of the country in offensive third-down conversion rate."

Think about that.

We got a lot better on third down playing better teams at the end of the season.

Reason for optimism, but don't mean **** till we do it this year.

We did improve as the season progressed. Which is encouraging. But we still were not consistent at all. ( horrible in 1st half vs FSU, Much better in the 2nd half.) And we gave up way too many big plays, yards, and points in those games. So there is also reason for concern.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This thread has me wondering now....I will have to go back and take a look. Were we a better D in the 2nd half of games typically? If so that speaks well to halftime adjustments. Also this....did Puke and UNC really steal our D signals? UNC in particular seemed to know exactly what was coming at them.

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't have the data but yes, from appearance of the flow of the game, etc... I believe we pretty consistently made good halftime adjustments and therefore our 2nd half of games was better than the 1st. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but I believe a majority of the time this was true!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Flat out we adjusted our scheme to aggression second half the year and it worked. Glad to see we learned and some of us here were calling for it early on last year lol. Anyway. Music to my ears too

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We did improve as the season progressed. Which is encouraging. But we still were not consistent at all. ( horrible in 1st half vs FSU, Much better in the 2nd half.) And we gave up way too many big plays, yards, and points in those games. So there is also reason for concern.

Concerning FSU, maybe there's a reason they lost 1 game in two years. ;)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With our style of offense, an aggressive attacking defense that takes risks just makes sense. We either get them off the field quick or they score in fewer plays. With that style, our offense would just flat wear out the opposition and take over games with TOP. We have seen what happens when GT owns the clock. It ain't pretty for the bad guys.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
The issue with FSU was that no matter how many we rushed, we couldn't touch Jameis and he made us pay. A decent pass rush will help a ton

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
With our style of offense, an aggressive attacking defense that takes risks just makes sense. We either get them off the field quick or they score in fewer plays. With that style, our offense would just flat wear out the opposition and take over games with TOP. We have seen what happens when GT owns the clock. It ain't pretty for the bad guys.
Don't you hate when somebody makes the post you were going to make, word for word?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Concerning FSU, maybe there's a reason they lost 1 game in two years. ;)
Also the refs allowed holding - last drive when we needed a stop == right side lb or de took agressive charge and engaged the 350# tackle who then grabbed him by the shoulder pads and threw him out of the play -- d cook makes first down game over.

If we are going to engage ---We have hopefully added so bulk and can sell the refs on holding.
As to the premise of a blitzing d - i have totally agreed for years. Groh made my head explode. I agree it makes perfect sense with our offense.

Another major reason is that recruiting for a Defense that is high energy has a much better chance to attracts TOP recruits (3 years and then NFL).
Many Guys on the old site like the idea of 8 wins is a good year ( beat 2 fcs teams, duke or wake forest and the split the rest and go to a crappy bowl).

Now that we have a 5 star qb till 17 and if we blitz successfully this year - recruiting could get hot! We need it to get instant depth at DT. This year we only have juniors as backups and no redshirt soph, soph, redshirt freshman on the team. if incoming freshman don't play this year we will have 2 seniors and 3 redshirt freshman.

I again propose - if sending 6 doesn't work send 8 since I hate odd integers! Damn long offseason.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind agressive if you are not repetitive and use the same thing all game. In the Tanuta scheme, by the 4th quarter, a good opposing coach had you dialed in.