Music to my Defensive ears

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
With our style of offense, an aggressive attacking defense that takes risks just makes sense. We either get them off the field quick or they score in fewer plays. With that style, our offense would just flat wear out the opposition and take over games with TOP. We have seen what happens when GT owns the clock. It ain't pretty for the bad guys.

That's what we did to Miami. We didn't really stop them most of the game, we just didn't let them have the ball much. As I heard Larry Munson say once: "You can't win when the other man has the ball".

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't mind agressive if you are not repetitive and use the same thing all game. In the Tanuta scheme, by the 4th quarter, a good opposing coach had you dialed in.

I'll take the success Tenuta had all day long and into next week. Lots of fans want to piss and moan about that B.C. game. That was one of very few outliers compared to A wide body of strong successful performances. Please identify a single DC who hasn't gotten torched by a single team. Take all year to search if you need. He doesn't exist.

I ain't saying Tenuta is perfect. I'm not even saying he's the best around. He was pretty damn good though. Count me among those who think he and his scheme, and recruiting, was darn near a perfect fit for what CPJ does. I don't think that was ever in the cards though honestly; he obviously wanted the head job and I don't think he was willing to stay once he was passed over.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
I'll take the success Tenuta had all day long and into next week. Lots of fans want to piss and moan about that B.C. game. That was one of very few outliers compared to A wide body of strong successful performances. Please identify a single DC who hasn't gotten torched by a single team. Take all year to search if you need. He doesn't exist.

I ain't saying Tenuta is perfect. I'm not even saying he's the best around. He was pretty damn good though. Count me among those who think he and his scheme, and recruiting, was darn near a perfect fit for what CPJ does. I don't think that was ever in the cards though honestly; he obviously wanted the head job and I don't think he was willing to stay once he was passed over.
Count me in the group that would rather have Roof all day long. I'm glad he came back

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I like Ted more than Tenuta. And hope he has more success when all is said and done. I also think Ted often gets an unfair rep from Tech fans. Tenuta got results though.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Groh's in particular was read and react....not very aggressive at the snap imo

The following is my lifetime recollection of defensive changes in college football, relative to read and react:

Read and react defenses matched up well with the offenses in the sixties to the eighties (before the spread-the-field formations, rule changes helping the offenses, and the explosive runners and great throwers). They are opposite of the assignment, more aggressive scheme defenses, and require good instinctive pursuit players who can defeat blocks, find the ball, move laterally quickly, and tackle (PJ Davis type player). The gap attacking defenses restarted around 35 years ago about the time the offenses begin to spread the field pre-snap.

Bud Wilkinson (copied by Dodd) was credited with the Oklohoma 5-4 read and react defense used by many teams from the early 50s to the 80s. It became outdated when the spread-the-field offenses dictated more coverage and led to the 4 man line. Strangely the 4 man line is a morph of the old 6 man (gap attacking) defenses used prior to the 5-4. My HS coach moved from the 6 man line to the 5-4 because it was more effective AGAINST THE OPTION just becoming part of offenses in the early 60s.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Imo
Early in season we will face highly agressive defenses. With the graduation of the bb, ab, wr our inexperienced replacements will be forced to learn make on the fly quick decisions in our regular offense. Against very aggressive defense the probability of errors goes up significantly. Coach should have offense running full tilt by unc.

Thank goodness for first two games. Cant wait for ND.