moving forward Clemson

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
What I would LOVE to see is a truly monumental upset ! But seriously, what I really want at this point is :
1) Great effort, the entire game.
2) No breakdowns on ST ( or more than one )
3) No long passes or runs given up > 30 yards - make them earn it.
4) No fumbles on O lost
5) At least one D takeaway
6) No " dumb" coaching calls
Generally play and coach like we are prepared physically and mentally, so the outcome is dependent on better athletes , not stupidity.

Deleted member 2897

TO is a great fit for Clemson just like MJ was when he was in. Direct handoffs and QB follows are the way to go. Dilly dallying will get you crushed. Their DL is the best in the country at holding our OL, that is one of our biggest challenges.

By way of illustration, Matthew Jordan had 6 rushes against Clemson for 39 yards (6.5 yd average). The lions share of those were his bread and butter QB follows. In his last game against Clemson, Justin Thomas had -25 yards rushing (not a typo). Dancing doesn't get you anywhere with that team. You have to go right at them.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
By way of illustration, Matthew Jordan had 6 rushes against Clemson for 39 yards (6.5 yd average). The lions share of those were his bread and butter QB follows. In his last game against Clemson, Justin Thomas had -25 yards rushing (not a typo). Dancing doesn't get you anywhere with that team. You have to go right at them.
We do have a QB that can do this, I'm not saying to play him the whole game or start him but he does need to play some.

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
I say we go ahead and forfeit to avoid the embarrassment that everyone is calling for. Do i think we are going to win this game.... No, but I do believe we have it in us to pull off an upset. I will be there doing my part making as much noise as possible!

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
We do have a QB that can do this, I'm not saying to play him the whole game or start him but he does need to play some.

I think we all know we wont win with the gameplan we had against pitt. Might as well shake it all up and start Oliver. Give them a completely different look. Or if we dont score first 2 drives put him in. (That might be better). I think working against Johnsons game plan may actually help us. Instead of making little to no adjustments, throw them a monkey wrench and see what happens. What's the worse that can happen, we lose? We already expect to.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It it silly to think we have a miracle qb solution based on one series where he kept the ball pretty much to himself. All he proven is he could take the snap consistently.
Don't think I said he was a miracle QB . Someone talked about how Matthew had 6 rushes for 39 yards. Although I have only seen him in one game his play remined me of Matthew Jordan. But knowing CPJ he will keep doing the same thing over and over and than say we missed too many assignments and didn't execute.

Animal02

Banned
Don't think I said he was a miracle QB . Someone talked about how Matthew had 6 rushes for 39 yards. Although I have only seen him in one game his play remined me of Matthew Jordan. But knowing CPJ he will keep doing the same thing over and over and than say we missed too many assignments and didn't execute.
I get it....CPJ is "stubborn" because he doesn't follow the advice of arm chair coaches that see just a tidbit of a player, as opposed to the actual coaches that see the players day in and day out. :rolleyes:

Deleted member 2897

It it silly to think we have a miracle qb solution based on one series where he kept the ball pretty much to himself. All he proven is he could take the snap consistently.

Huh? He played 3 full series and ran a bunch of different plays like rocket tosses and traditional option pitches.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we will get lucky like the FSU game a couple of years ago; If you watched the Clemson game they are clearly beatable, Maybe we catch them flat and uninspired after they watch our game film; The only issue is Clemson has already faced 2 option teams in Furman and GSU and have dominated them; If CPJ comes out like he has done in the last 2 years against their defense and tries to impose his will we will get crushed; This is the perfect chance to try something different and catch them unprepared; Personally I would spend 80% this week working on the passing game and hope that improves because Clemson is going to put 8 in the box and pretty much stuff everthing. Opinions?

If CPJ could turn TM into an adequate - no, let’s say, marginal - passer in the span of a week, don’t you think he would have done that some week before now?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I get it....CPJ is "stubborn" because he doesn't follow the advice of arm chair coaches that see just a tidbit of a player, as opposed to the actual coaches that see the players day in and day out. :rolleyes:
you really have a problem reading thing I didn't say . Can you guess now what I'm thinking?

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
The best way to neutralize a big, athletic front like Clemson is to hit them hard and fast. The success of the dive/belly will be a good indication of what type of day it's going to be offensively. We're not going to make our nut trying to beat these guys sideline to sideline. Quick hits to the d-line and second level are the key here - and it's a double edged sword because we're then able to burn some clock and keep the ball out of the hands of their offense.

I'd look for CPJ to try to establish that early and I hope he's stubborn with it. It just opens everything else up.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Only chance we have at an upset and a very slight chance would be to start Oliver. TQM with fundamental lack of running the option and smaller frame will not work against Clemson.