moving forward Clemson

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by charles, Sep 16, 2018 at 12:53 PM.

1. charles

charles Jolly Good Fellow

Maybe we will get lucky like the FSU game a couple of years ago; If you watched the Clemson game they are clearly beatable, Maybe we catch them flat and uninspired after they watch our game film; The only issue is Clemson has already faced 2 option teams in Furman and GSU and have dominated them; If CPJ comes out like he has done in the last 2 years against their defense and tries to impose his will we will get crushed; This is the perfect chance to try something different and catch them unprepared; Personally I would spend 80% this week working on the passing game and hope that improves because Clemson is going to put 8 in the box and pretty much stuff everthing. Opinions?

2. wesgt123

wesgt123 Helluva Engineer

My opinion? Working on passing to catch Clemson off guard sounds like wishful thinking. He’s innovated different formations for one season, and abandoned it completely. Sorry to burst your bubble but it won’t happen

bwelbo likes this.
  3. CuseJacket

CuseJacket Administrator Staff Member

For context... We were 6.5 point underdogs to FSU in 2015. They simply weren't that much better than us to begin with. Likewise Clemson in 2011, we were ~4 point dogs in that one. We've pulled much bigger upsets by Vegas perception e.g., @ Georgia in 2014 (14 pt dog) and 2016 (want to say 7-9 pt dog). Also @ VT in 2014 was 8 pts I believe.

Safe prediction: we will be a double-digit dog. To what degree I'm not sure. In the context of all of the above, it could arguably require the greatest upset of CPJ's tenure. I'm sure I'm forgetting a game or 2.

GT_05, J_Trouche, Animal02 and 2 others like this.
  4. Martin_Van_Nostrand

Martin_Van_Nostrand Jolly Good Fellow

They might be beatable, but not by Georgia Tech. We don't have the players on offense or defense to make enough plays to beat them, and don't have the coaching to overcome that.

knoxjacket and sgreer like this.
  5. gtg936g

gtg936g Helluva Engineer

They have the DTs to beat us inside, so this will likely be a long game for us. D is going to have to steal some possessions for us to have a chance. I ‘d say take chances early with the passing game even if it is scripted with oliver or graham. If we can get a lead early we can stay in the game. If they pull ahead and we can’t answer, it will get ugly.

6. AUFC

AUFC Ramblin' Wreck

They are faster AND stronger. Usually it’s one or the other. That spells disaster for our offensive line and triple option.

GT14 likes this.
  7. buzz_wiser©

buzz_wiser© Helluva Engineer

Looks like the #3 team in the nation will be paying us a visit (not the #2).
    GT is also 16 point underdogs for this match-up.

Not looking forward the sea of orange coming down 85 south. (Im 30 mins from their campus).

I have numerous people wanting to buy my tickets, but the kiddo and I will be there in 210.
    I hope yall can show up and show out!
    THW Clempsun

8. UpperNorth

UpperNorth Jolly Good Fellow

We live near Clemson too, gonna be a ton of orange no doubt... but we’ll be there in 215.

9. buzz_wiser©

Safe travels!
    What area do you live in? We are near Hartwell

UpperNorth likes this.
  10. DC Bee

DC Bee Helluva Engineer

GT vs. Clem is a historic rivalry. Only in the past 9 years has it become lopsided, but even then GT had some great wins in 2011 & 2014. in 2015 GT was having a dreadful year and FSU come to town in the Top 15 and got shocked. Rise to the occasion Jackets and give them hell.

UgaBlows, okiemon, GT_05 and 2 others like this.
  11. GTrob21

GTrob21 Helluva Engineer

We will lose...and it will get ugly

33jacket likes this.
  12. UpperNorth

I grew up in Canon and own a business in Lavonia! We actually live closer to Athens now but Franklin Co is still home to us.

buzz_wiser© likes this.
  13. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

TO is a great fit for Clemson just like MJ was when he was in. Direct handoffs and QB follows are the way to go. Dilly dallying will get you crushed. Their DL is the best in the country at holding our OL, that is one of our biggest challenges.

14. buzz_wiser©

I grew up in Bowersville,
    I'm well aware of the "Big Gun" area.
    Glad to see more GT folks from my area.
    That's awesome!

UpperNorth likes this.
  15. UpperNorth

We’re few and far between!

buzz_wiser© likes this.
  16. GTonTop88

GTonTop88 Helluva Engineer

Clemson is beatable by a team that can throw the ball.

We are the perfect offense for their NFL front 7 to shutdown.

I’ll be surprised if we score more than 7 points.

17. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Over the last 4 years we’ve averaged 17 points against Clemson, with 2 of those years being in monsoon rain where we can’t throw.

18. GTonTop88

GTonTop88 Helluva Engineer

And 3 of those years we had JT someone who could throw.

We scored 10 last year and 7 the year before. Their defense held us to 100 yards rushing in 2016 and a little over 200 last year, which I think a chunk of that was a big run by Benson. Clemson returned everyone on their Dline from last year so I believe it’s gonna be tough sledding.

I hope for the best but I believe the chat room is gonna be in meltdown mode. If Clemson gets a huge lead they may let us get some yardage and points near the end but I don’t see us running the ball at all in this one.

UpperNorth and stech81 like this.
  19. Technut1990

Technut1990 Helluva Engineer

Guys there seems to be a lot of talking about our offense, better be concerned about the defense. Clemson is fast and big up front with highly talented skill position players. That’s where the game will be decided. If we can play some defense the offense won’t be under the pressure you speak of, unless that equation is already figured into the talk.

20. Techster

Techster Helluva Engineer

My weekly recruiting snapshot, because it's a habit, and I'm a glutton for punishment this week:

GT Clemson
    2014 54 16
    2015 44 9
    2016 60 11
    2017 48 13
    2018 54 7
    AVG 52 11.2