Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

GTcanWINagain

Banned
How many fans truly believe we can get a 'big name' HC. That seems completely unrealistic. I think most GT fans have a very irrational take on how good a job the GT HC job actually is.
You have a smaller than average P5 fanbase, a smaller than average P5 budget, and a more restrictive entrance and degree situation than most P5 schools. That's not exactly a great combination. Arguably the only big positive is the recruiting territory but the entrance/degree limitations counteract that some as does the fact that GT has only the 8th largest alumni base in its own city.

Realistically no one that has a better P5 choice is going to take this job. IMO the only candiates GT will have with the next hire are P5 assistants and G5 HC's. You are unlikely to get a current or former P5 HC to come to GT.

This year's defense is destined to be the worse at GT this Century and the 3 defenses under Collins so far will be three of the four worst defenses of this Century. That is completely inescusable for when you hire a 'defensive' HC.
What about a “Chan Gailey 2.0”? Former NFL HC who wants a few million per year?

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Head coaches and coordinators are being fired everywhere in college football except GT. I don’t understand . Let s email the big Donors and Booster not AD . Let them light a fire under the AD seat.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I've made plenty of mistakes in my life, haven't you?

Look at the bigger picture regarding TStan. He's done allot of good as well. Undone plenty of crap MBob did as well.
Too many to mention. He has done good things. But I think he made a mistake in his biggest hire. I'm not suggesting TStan resign or anything like that.
But if a slick salesman convinces you to buy a shoddy product, whose fault is that ?

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Luckily Kansas went with Lance Leipold and Illinois went with Bret Bielema. Jeff Monken finishing second for both jobs. This is a gift for Georgia Tech should they want to go back in that direction. Monken lost on the road at Wisconsin (a top 20 team) by 6, and put up 600 yards of offense on a really good Wake Forest team. Scoring 56. He isn't getting beat 55-0 by anyone. He just keeps succeeding at what is arguably the most difficult job in D1 football.

On top of all that, Georgia Tech needs to change its strategy. I've been saying it for years. The recipe for winning isn't that hard.

Step 1: Hire Jeff Monken
Step 2: Monken brings his staff with him
Step 3: Install Option Offense
Step 4: Change scheduling habits
Step 5: Execute

Season 1 Sample Schedule
Game 1: Georgia State (win 50-10, try to put up 500 rushing yards)
Game 2: Bowling Green (win 60-3, try to put up 500 rushing yards)
Game 3: Southern Miss (win 50-10, try to put up 400 rushing yards)
Game 4: Louisiana Tech (win 45-17, try to put up 400 rushing yards)
Week 5: Bye Week
Week 6: North Carolina
Week 7: Duke
Week 8: Miami
Week 9: Pitt
Week 10: Clemson
Week 11: Virginia Tech
Week 12: Virginia
Week 13: NC State

Non-Conference Objectives
Get Georgia Tech into the top 25 heading into conference
Play reasonable non-conference opponents from C-USA, Sun Belt, American, MAC, etc
Get the rotation down... break in new players... get timing just right... improve every week
Put up the best possible numbers to highlight the effectiveness of the option offense (Air Force and Army have put up these kinds of numbers this year, and in recent seasons as well. It's more than possible)
Start the season 4-0
Tell Georgia to screw off most years, and just play them every now and then

Conference Objectives
Win a minimum of 4 games in the league, getting to 8 wins total for the season
Any additional wins improve status, ranking, bowl game, etc
The floor for the team should be 7 win seasons
Try to catch lightning in a bottle like 2014, but be a consistent program

Mindset
Nobody should be pissed with 8-4 on a consistent basis
People should be very happy with 9-3
People should be ecstatic with 10-2
People should be "ok" with 7-5

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
A 7 year contract was ridiculous, IMO. He should have been given a 4 year contract, with option to renegotiate AFTER year 3. How would that be working out about now ?
You can't do a contract like that in today's college football. You can never have a coach with less than 3 years left on a contract, or recruiting becomes impossible. If Collins had a 5 year contract, we likely would have had to make a choice on extending him or firing him (with likely a similar buy out anyway) during this season.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
Luckily Kansas went with Lance Leipold and Illinois went with Bret Bielema. Jeff Monken finishing second for both jobs. This is a gift for Georgia Tech should they want to go back in that direction. Monken lost on the road at Wisconsin (a top 20 team) by 6, and put up 600 yards of offense on a really good Wake Forest team. Scoring 56. He isn't getting beat 55-0 by anyone. He just keeps succeeding at what is arguably the most difficult job in D1 football.

On top of all that, Georgia Tech needs to change its strategy. I've been saying it for years. The recipe for winning isn't that hard.

Season 1 Sample Schedule

Play reasonable non-conference opponents from C-USA, Sun Belt, American, MAC, etc
Get the rotation down... break in new players... get timing just right... improve every week
Put up the best possible numbers to highlight the effectiveness of the option offense (Air Force and Army have put up these kinds of numbers this year, and in recent seasons as well. It's more than possible)
Start the season 4-0

Conference Objectives

Mindset
I'm fine with the Monken suggestion, but nothing seems worse than padding your win count by scheduling no-names to get easy wins...

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
How many fans truly believe we can get a 'big name' HC. That seems completely unrealistic. I think most GT fans have a very irrational take on how good a job the GT HC job actually is.
You have a smaller than average P5 fanbase, a smaller than average P5 budget, and a more restrictive entrance and degree situation than most P5 schools. That's not exactly a great combination. Arguably the only big positive is the recruiting territory but the entrance/degree limitations counteract that some as does the fact that GT has only the 8th largest alumni base in its own city.

Realistically no one that has a better P5 choice is going to take this job. IMO the only candiates GT will have with the next hire are P5 assistants and G5 HC's. You are unlikely to get a current or former P5 HC to come to GT.

This year's defense is destined to be the worse at GT this Century and the 3 defenses under Collins so far will be three of the four worst defenses of this Century. That is completely inescusable for when you hire a 'defensive' HC.
Yeah, I thought about this as well. It seems like a bad time to be competing for a new coach but if we are honest with ourselves, we aren't really competing with UF, LSU, USC or even VT for coaches anyways.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow

Season 1 Sample Schedule

Start the season 4-0

Conference Objectives

Mindset
I agree in general but we only have so much power over our scheduling. The ACC has a history of screwing us with conference game scheduling.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was, and still remain, a huge Paul Johnson fan, and I loved it when we ran the option here at GT.

With that caveat out of the way, I pose this question to all the fonts wanting to hire Monken to coach GT football:

If Paul Johnson, who is is indisputably the greatest option based offensive mastermind in recent history, could only average 7.5 wins at GT, what indication is there that Monken will be able to better? It is entirely possible, and even likely, that Monken could fare worse than Johnson at GT.

If we move away from CGC in the near future, I am not opposed to hiring a coach more reliant on scheme. I would rather that scheme not be the option but rather an air raid style or HUNH instead.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I was, and still remain, a huge Paul Johnson fan, and I loved it when we ran the option here at GT.

With that caveat out of the way, I pose this question to all the fonts wanting to hire Monken to coach GT football:

If Paul Johnson, who is is indisputably the greatest option based offensive mastermind in recent history, could only average 7.5 wins at GT, what indication is there that Monken will be able to better? It is entirely possible, and even likely, that Monken could fare worse than Johnson at GT.

If we move away from CGC in the near future, I am not opposed to hiring a coach more reliant on scheme. I would rather that scheme not be the option but rather an air raid style or HUNH instead.
I don't care if we hire Monken or not. At this point, I just want us to be better than we are today (even if that means CGC finally finds his way).

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

Monken might be open to the RPO if. and it's a big if, he could recruit the right QB.

GTcanWINagain

Banned

Season 1 Sample Schedule

Start the season 4-0

Conference Objectives

Mindset
Why back to the option again? Take a look at my attendance post on Gailey vs. Johnson filling up our stadium…

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
You can appreciate both coaches, I think most GT fans do. Yes some get frustrated with O'Leary leaving for ND but that is part of being a fan and believing in your team.

Most Johnson supporters would be more amiable to Collins if he had been a bit more gracious to Johnson in the transition. But he and Key both identified the previous culture and approach as the problem and that created unnecessary friction.

We should also mention that Key and Collins openly discuss their O'Leary connection acting as if it is the only recent success and O'Leary does not seem to mind this point so that might rub some Tech fans the wrong way.

Bottom line, when you have to tear down others to build up yourself it will eventually create issues - if Collins would have taken the approach he was going to build on the good then he would likely have more support during these challenging times.

no he would not have.