Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
It could, we know the GA game is going to be very ugly and people are very upset about this failed experiment. Avoiding falling deeper into the abyss may be worth $4 million.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I believe we will know the way forward quickly, most likely early next week. I predict non-HC staff changes to be announced as soon as Monday after COFH. You can't have any uncertainty close to signing day. I suspect decisions are already made and recruits may even be aware of them. I will go on record saying Collins stays with revamped staff and a PR blitz about how we will improve.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
It could, we know the GA game is going to be very ugly and people are very upset about this failed experiment. Avoiding falling deeper into the abyss may be worth $4 million.
Does Stansbury try to snag a raise or bonus if he pulls the trigger on dumping his bad hire? Asking for a friend who is on the brink…need to get this in writing!

GTcanWINagain

Banned
I believe we will know the way forward quickly, most likely early next week. I predict non-HC staff changes to be announced as soon as Monday after COFH. You can't have any uncertainty close to signing day. I suspect decisions are already made and recruits may even be aware of them. I will go on record saying Collins stays with revamped staff and a PR blitz about how we will improve.
George Costanza our new DC?

GTcanWINagain

Banned
We all know what should happen but will it happen?
I have ZERO faith in Todd Stansbury. Braine and Radakovich at least hired HCs that won more games than they lost, played in bowls / ACC Championship games, and kept attendance respectable. Todd Stansbury just sent me a “Comprehensive Excellence 2020-21” flyer that failed to mention “Football Progress”. Didn’t he say that recently? Did he accidentally forget?

King2b

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't want us to make a move without a plan. The last bb search was one candidate after another turning us down. We were fortunate to get CJP, but with other high profile programs out there we need to have a good idea of who we want and that they intend to accept. Also would prefer to have more than two candidates like wiz vs CGC in 2018.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
I have ZERO faith in Todd Stansbury. Braine and Radakovich at least hired HCs that won more games than they lost, played in bowls / ACC Championship games, and kept attendance respectable. Todd Stansbury just sent me a “Comprehensive Excellence 2020-21” flyer that failed to mention “Football Progress”. Didn’t he say that recently? Did he accidentally forget?
What are you expecting? More debt? I hope I hit a big lottery and can make GT flush and then some. Not going to happen. Support the man and tell him the truth. Self awareness is very freeing. Now Collins needs to get to work. Ditch the money down and other BS. Sagan and o Leary don’t do gimmicks. Tighten up and get to work.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There are a fair number of people on this board that said the ND game was a turning point. Why is that? What did you see during the ND game that caused you to change your mind? Because to me, the fact that we piss away games against teams like BC is worse than the fact that we lost to ND. But the reason I lost faith in CGC is not either of those but the fact that our players play an undisciplined style of play that consistently gets exposed. Or the fact that our game day coaching is what it is. I just don’t understand all of the fans who point to ND as some huge inflection point.
I was not one of those people you are referring to but here’s why I think they said that. The narrative was that we were improving and close losses were the proof of that. Two people even went so far as to say that if you couldn’t see improvement it was because you just had some kind of anti CGC agenda.

Well, ND exposed that thinking big time. We regressed, the team quit and all the things we have complained about before not only didn’t improve, they got worse. These included but were not limited to: poor game management with time outs, substitutions, the clock and penalties; pedestrian play calling; players out of position and opposing receivers running free; slow play, lack of aggression and being physically whipped; looking like no real preparation was done for ND schemes and play calling.

So for those who were still holding out hope for CGC, getting one of Tech’s worst shut-outs in history obliterated any argument that we were making steady progress.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
He has RE-TIRED damnit! He got TIRED of all the admin. BS and "fans" like you who apparently can't or won't give him the respect he earned. Give it a rest. It will be a looong time (unfortunately) before we reach several of the heights PJ did! Been a fan for over 70 years and reading some of this anti PJ bs (for no discernable reason ) that has absolutely nothing to the clusterf####k we are now in just astounds me. Tstan is to blame for all this mess. He hired this clown. A mind-blowing contract. --and there is no "easy" solution to this debacle. PJ retired and deserves to RIP. Quit beating a dead horse. The coaching problem now (to any sane person) is NOT his fault -seeech!
Good post.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was not one of those people you are referring to but here’s why I think they said that. The narrative was that we were improving and close losses were the proof of that. Two people even went so far as to say that if you couldn’t see improvement it was because you just had some kind of anti CGC agenda.

Well, ND exposed that thinking big time. We regressed, the team quit and all the things we have complained about before not only didn’t improve, they got worse. These included but were not limited to: poor game management with time outs, substitutions, the clock and penalties; pedestrian play calling; players out of position and opposing receivers running free; slow play, lack of aggression and being physically whipped; looking like no real preparation was done for ND schemes and play calling.

So for those who were still holding out hope for CGC, getting one of Tech’s worst shut-outs in history obliterated any argument that we were making steady progress.

I think this summarizes my feelings pretty well NES. I was willing to wait until year 3. I had seen improvement albeit the trend line had a pretty shallow slope and felt like we were in every game. But the ND game, coupled with another 3 win season, was a tipping point. I cut it off and worked in the yard when we had a false start and a delay of game on 3rd and 2 down 17-0 in the first half so I missed most of the game. Too many egregious errors. And a failure to pick up a win in that Va-VT-BC stretch was critical. I am not calling for his head but I am watching what TStan does. I am to the point where I feel like some adjustments to the staff are necessary (at a minimum) but do understand the $ constraints.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I do believe there is a very small fraction of fans/alums on here that would rather have 6-8 win seasons as our best years, with really very little opportuntity to have a special 10+ win year, if it means conforming to what they believe is a "normal" CF offense.

To me, that is sad. As many others, I believe we need a signfiicant niche. It does not have to be PJ's flexbone per se, but it must be different and hard to defend, extremely unpredicatable and run with great discipline, if we are to have years like 2014 ever again.

I refuse to believe a tradition as rich as ours has to settle for doing it like everyone else and hoping that a top 30 recruiting class can somehow be the difference in getting into the top 10-15 teams in the nation. GT is a very, very special place, and we deserve that opportunity, but we aren't going to get it, in my opinion, doing what everyone else is doing. It will also take a very special coach - one that other coaches know is smarter than them.

FYI - I realize recruiting is CRITICAL, but there really isn't a huge difference between 25 and 45, but let me tell you, the difference between 5 and 25 in today's CF world is GARGANTUAN. Honestly, if we can ever get some big nasties and big LB's with motors, we will be ok on D, but that is the challenge for ALL P5 coaches that aren't a few teams.
Top 30 recruiting coupled bottom 30 coaching doesn’t age well.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
For any changes to be made, the Athletic department needs to hear it from the fans, students and alumni. If you haven't yet email the athletic department.
Who knows, maybe they listen maybe they don't. But something has to change after the UGA game
The current status quo cannot stay whether that's a full HC change or changing out coordinators.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are a fair number of people on this board that said the ND game was a turning point. Why is that? What did you see during the ND game that caused you to change your mind? Because to me, the fact that we piss away games against teams like BC is worse than the fact that we lost to ND. But the reason I lost faith in CGC is not either of those but the fact that our players play an undisciplined style of play that consistently gets exposed. Or the fact that our game day coaching is what it is. I just don’t understand all of the fans who point to ND as some huge inflection point.
I worry that the coaches have lost the team. The GT team we saw on the field Saturday is the same one that beat UNC and fought hard to come back against UVA. Talentwise, this GT team is not terrible. But, we were down 45-0 at the half and could not score against the ND scrubs in the second half. There were some nice individual plays on both sides of the ball, so I am not berating the players. After the timely defensive stand to force a FG on ND's initial drive we gave up six TDs in the first half. Something happened that turned off the "I really care" part of this team's mentality. Folks in the GTAA need to ask why that happened.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Retired because it wasn’t fun anymore. I bet the GT anti-option crowd had something to do with that.
It seems like ages ago that pulling for Tech football was fun. The anti-Paul Johnson crowd began to spoil that for me by 2015 and it got steadily worse, and then they get “their guy” in place and my mood turned even more sour.

I want Tech to be a fun place again for coaches and fans. Sigh.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It seems like ages ago that pulling for Tech football was fun. The anti-Paul Johnson crowd began to spoil that for me by 2015 and it got steadily worse, and then they get “their guy” in place and my mood turned even more sour.

I want Tech to be a fun place again for coaches and fans. Sigh.
It predated CPJ imo. It started with CCG. Hopefully, when CGC leaves, whenever that might be, we can finally let the dead bury the dead. I don't understand our fascination with former coaches and find that the arguments pro and con for any of them have been exhausted years ago.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It predated CPJ imo. It started with CCG. Hopefully, when CGC leaves, whenever that might be, we can finally let the dead bury the dead. I don't understand our fascination with former coaches and find that the arguments pro and con for any of them have been exhausted years ago.

The difference was Both Chan and Paul didn't badmouth the predecessors with bull**** in the media. Collins welcomed the comparisons and reaps the result of being compared to coaches that actually knew what they were doing.