Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the stats this morning it is absolutely infuriating that we lost this game because it was totally preventable with better coaching. I felt like we were the better team last night in real time and the numbers back that up. Just piss poor coaching, bad risk management, bad gameplan adjustments. I don't think Collins realized we were averaging close to 6ypc until the middle/end of the 3rd quarter. Unacceptable. As soon as we started riding Gibbs/Mason down the field, we scored twice.

CubeE

Georgia Tech Fan
I honestly believe that Tashard Choice, although most likely not ready yet, would be a better HC than CGC. I am not calling for that, but I do believe it would be better than CGC leading. Tashard might have to know when to be emotional and when not to be, but I know he would apply tough love and discipline.
What about Key? I feel like he had to have picked up something under Saban.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’m not too sure I agree on the X and O point. The NIU corners were lining up 10 yards off the line and back peddling at the snap and we kept trying to run inside into their blitz. Their defense seemed to be concerned with our edge speed so they tried to keep everything in front of the corners. Quick passes to the edge were there for easy yards and for some reason we only went there a couple times. Dave P doesn’t seem to be able to take what is available in many cases. Maybe he is scripting the series to go fast but I scratch my head at a lot of his calls based on how the defense lines up.

He tried several times. QBs have to make throws. We missed on several sure TDs had we either had an accurate throw or a receiver actually catch a ball.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I caved and watched half of the presser. It just amazes me how much the man can spew out of his mouth and yet never give an answer directly addressing the question.
This is unbelievably believable.

Jmonty71

Banned
So, I think we can call this whole staff a complete failure. Say we fire every single one of them. Who is out there, that would be willing to take a program, that's currently, in the toilet? Could we get big name talent? Just curious. I have total confidence, we'll have another 3 win season. Which should get people fired.... Who is out there to hire?

Jmonty71

Banned
I have been a steady Ga Tech fan for 30+ years. I cannot remember being so disappointed in a loss and the state of our football program.

Apparently hype, and pizazz trump substance in our program. Hats off to our players for their effort. Last night was a failure of Xs and Os, a failure to prepare our team, and a killer for our recruiting. As much as I enjoyed our Paul Johnson era and the triple option when it was clicking, the program had run " out of steam" and it was time for a change.

Hats off to the NIU team. They deserved to win. They were the better team, better coached, better prepared team last night.

Unfortunately we need a NEW HEAD COACH.

Geoff Collins is a great recruiter, but not a P5 Head Coach. After the AD raised $125M... The fan base is not going to stand for this. I think the lesson that Georgia Tech has learned is that "Geoff Collins is what happens when you order a football coach on Wish." The Geoff Collins era ended yesterday night. It’s going to be a 1-2 year lame duck after this game do to the buyout. The GTAA has $125M for the buyout but it will take meetings and voted to divert some of the money to absorb this mess. But the Program has been set back maybe worse than the BILL LEWIS era.
Collins is barely a high school coach....

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
Cpj didn’t give a rip about defense. That’s on him he lost to Butch. That’s what happened. Budget talks don’t mean a damn thing because the recruits were not coming here playing in that offensive. It’s over- move on we’re in worse shape now than then anyway. Butch beat him.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fully honest he may be the best option for our current position. He needs to have a few more years for multiple reasons:
1) He is changing a culture. It takes time.
2) The talent pool is increasing. Case: Yates and Gibbs
3) He has 4 more years left on contract which would most likely mean $10M+ buyout. That money could be better spent on facilities, recruiting efforts, and support for student athletes.
4) Who else would want this job? We have a fair weather fan base for the most part and not enough money.
Talent pool increasing? We have enough talent to blow out NIU, and the point is we havent improved since he got his butt on campus. and the talent we got coming in will probably jump ship

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
we need a good, no nonsense coach who doesn't run an academy type offense. One who wears polo shirts and normal pants lol

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Been debating how to approach my thoughts - within this thread or as a standalone one - because only a few thoughts are related to 'Fire Geoff Collins'. I'll break this up into separate posts today because I prefer responses that are in line with each point.

First, we have a coaching problem. It has been clear since Season 1. I called out the time management, pre- and post-snap penalties against The Citadel as my first, in general, 'oh s***, we have a problem' takeaways from the game. Despite confirmation bias from others, we did not lose that game because of the offense we faced. El Cid would not have scored 1-2 of their drives if it weren't for non-play related issues i.e., pre and post snap penalties. We lost the game due to discipline and preparedness, plain and simple.

To that end, yesterday was not a Jimmies and Joes issue. We have far better talent than NIU. It was also not an X's and O's issue. We schemed guys running wide open. We had a receiver drop a catchable pass. We fumbled an unchallenged mesh. We had 2-3 defenders jogging off the field on defense with NIU snapping the ball to cause a substitution infraction. We called a timeout and 2nd and goal after gaining 3 yards and had NIU's defense on roller skates. We called another timeout on 4th down not because we saw a look, but because WE WERE NOT PREPARED.

Because of the sidewinding nature of the thread, I feel compelled to repeat the main point of this post. On the order of magnitude where we are talking about most concerning and most pressing issue, yesterday was neither a talent issue nor an X's and O's issue. Therefore I don't understand the leap from some to go as far as 'how can GT compete as a program going forward?' We have a PREPAREDNESS issue. This is unacceptable in year 1, let alone year 3.
I'm at such a loss of what we can even do. We have talent and we have coordinators that are calling correct plays (PNut maybe slightly predictable on a few calls but at this point I shouldn't nitpick). Everything we still see to this day is almost completely a result of absolutely God awful head coaching and he's still at this very moment saying we are just on the verge of being great. And we can't even fire the guy for 2-3 years.

We are completely hopeless right now. I want to go to a game this year but I'm so apathetic even free tickets on the 50 yard line doesn't even make the 3 and a half hour drive to a game seem worth it.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'll post here something similar to what I posted about Pastner and basketball a while back (I believe after the mercer game last year but maybe after the ball state game the year prior).

There are two general reasons to make a change. The first is what I point to as the Brian Gregory situation. Keeping him would have actively made our roster worse because he wasn't bringing in recruits. At the time I made this point about Pastner I said Pastner wasn't that and I don't think Collins is that. Basically I don't think bringing in a coach after next season will be worse than bringing in the same coach after this one from a "what he has to work with standpoint".

That is that you think you can have a significant upgrade. I'm sure someone is probably already thinking of a snide comment about a middle school coach or something, but even if you think 3 wins is what Collins will always have here, it doesn't make much sense to fire him just to land someone who is like a 4 win guy. Way back we fired Gailey for being a perpetual 7 win guy and we went a route we thought could improve us. When Johnson retired and it seemed that route was also limited to roughly the same level, we decided to go for a improving recruiting route which we thought could improve us. If we make a change, whether it is this year or 20 years, we need to get someone we think gives us a chance to improve. Otherwise we'd have the Brian Gregory DOA situation. I don't see any real reason to believe we can make an impactful hire this year. I know some people will scream about returning to the triple option but regardless of whether I think Monken would do well here I think he would be crazy to walk into this situation.

More realistically I think a change in staff is more likely this year. I don't think PNut had a bad game, as the plays were there to be made, but a new voice in the room could make the difference if things don't get sorted this year.
I 100% agree with this. I’m getting Pastner vibes here. I’m hoping he gets this **** figured out fast. I was a big JP guy but was at his throat after the Mercer and State games. I pray this team has a closed doors, circle the wagons, come to Jesus type **** this week and figures it out.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Something clearly isn't working. Something has to change THIS WEEK and collins needs to figure that out TODAY. If he won't he is blind and completely inept. There is no more "let's just keep chugging"

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
This man basically made an excuse for Jahmyr Gibbs

“because he is such a great player, such a great kid that people seem to forget that this was still has 8th game of college football”

what the fffffffff is that?
y’all I hate to just dive in the sulking but I cannot believe this mans excuses all the time. He says so much and not a word of substance. And no substance on the field either.

“I made sure I dapped him up coming off the field.”

BRO I DO NOT CARE. I DONT CAREEEEEEEE. I CARE ABOUT WINNINGGGGG

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The real question that I have is whether Sims will actually develop under this staff. What I saw last night was that our staff did not develop Sims at all this offseason - he looked lost and missed several WIDE open receivers. That is not a good sign.
It’s already obvious the answer is no. He is lost because he has gotten by on athletic ability his entire football life until now and at this level you can’t out run the defense like in high school. We need a pass first QB. We haven’t had one since Godsey.

GTBlaze

Banned
I’m not trying to nock pick bs but it just seems like the players are more focused and spending too much time with things other than football

may gosh how many video shoots, picture shoots, etc do they do a day?

did you know when Alabama (for example) do promo video shoots they are not actual players? They are actors because savanna does not want his players wasting time on that crap

that’s just one little example

then the whole TiVO thing came out 2 days before kickoff

tech should not allow names on the backs of jerseys anymore until they start winning

404- ATL- 18,000 different culture shirts, uniform announcements, etc etc etc should just be left alone

it’s almost like CGC spends more time in designer offices worrying about the next best internal t-shirt then he does worrying about the next game

all of these different shoes, etc etc etc is just noise

this team is only focused on crap that has nothing to do with winning a football game

This team is soft.

“hey are players played like crap but I love them and they work so hard” bull**** in that press conference

that press conference after the game was an embarrassment

cpo5701

Georgia Tech Fan
It is a thought, Vespidae, but I don't think Richt's health (he has Parkinsons) would allow for him to coach, but maybe I am wrong. He appeared very weak on the Huddle show yesterday.
I agree. He looked as if he had no energy and over medicated. He just did not fit in with the three.