Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
???? Why Beatty over Yates?
I just think over a complete game you extremely limited with what you can do with yates. From what I’ve heard and has been said by coaches, you have to change the entire gameplan for yates and is a little more limited due to his size and arm. I just think there is more you can do over a full game with Beatty. Don’t forget, he was recruited at temple to run this offense and has a very high knowledge of it, so does yates.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
18-22 year olds are NOT much different maturity-wise today than they were 100 years ago. In many ways, they are even less mature and need even more tough love/discipline today than they did years ago.

I don't care who the head coach is, he must realize that he has to be the adult in the room - he must teach them the basics and hold them accountable. There has to be both positive and negative consequences along the development path. In this 2+ year experiment, I have seen things and heard things that make me believe that CGC is not that person. Key might be. Choice might be. Others might be, but CGC is not a "leader of young men" in my opinion. He is a cheerleader of young men. Your HC must be able to be "bad cop" and "good cop". The "bad cop" is not fun, and I don't think CGC has the ability or desire to be "bad cop" EVER.

At my church a few years ago, we had a youth pastor that was very much the same. He created a LOT of excitement, and we had attendance from teens we had not seen in previous years or since. But, unfortunately, it was accomplished with "fun" and entertainment, so it was very broad with lots and lots of excitement, but there was no "depth" or discipleship or accountability. I won't get into the details, but this pastor got into a lot of trouble later on at his next stop, because he was one of the "teens" more than the adult leader of those teens.

Last edited:

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
It makes you wonder what they focus on during practice. Sims is a good QB, but he didn’t seem to be on the same page as the OC and/or the receivers. I like the overall positive nature of Collins, but it doesn’t seem like his approach instills fire into his players. It looked like NIU wanted it much more than Tech did yesterday. Yes, our stats were better, but come crunch time, we wilted against a team that was 0-6 last year.

QuickKick

Georgia Tech Fan
It makes you wonder what they focus on during practice. Sims is a good QB, but he didn’t seem to be on the same page as the OC and/or the receivers. I like the overall positive nature of Collins, but it doesn’t seem like his approach instills fire into his players. It looked like NIU wanted it much more than Tech did yesterday. Yes, our stats were better, but come crunch time, we wilted against a team that was 0-6 last year.
Also seemed to me NIU was way more disciplined. They came to win. They came to play football. They did not come to lose.

RoswellJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Fired Thaker and Patenaude. CGC should be moved to DC and word the shift so that we don’t have to buy him out. Let him stay as a recruiting guy but don’t let him near the offense. Promote Key to HC and Choice to OC. We can make this work without paying Collins $13M

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Been debating how to approach my thoughts - within this thread or as a standalone one - because only a few thoughts are related to 'Fire Geoff Collins'. I'll break this up into separate posts today because I prefer responses that are in line with each point.

First, we have a coaching problem. It has been clear since Season 1. I called out the time management, pre- and post-snap penalties against The Citadel as my first, in general, 'oh s***, we have a problem' takeaways from the game. Despite confirmation bias from others, we did not lose that game because of the offense we faced. El Cid would not have scored 1-2 of their drives if it weren't for non-play related issues i.e., pre and post snap penalties. We lost the game due to discipline and preparedness, plain and simple.

To that end, yesterday was not a Jimmies and Joes issue. We have far better talent than NIU. It was also not an X's and O's issue. We schemed guys running wide open. We had a receiver drop a catchable pass. We fumbled an unchallenged mesh. We had 2-3 defenders jogging off the field on defense with NIU snapping the ball to cause a substitution infraction. We called a timeout and 2nd and goal after gaining 3 yards and had NIU's defense on roller skates. We called another timeout on 4th down not because we saw a look, but because WE WERE NOT PREPARED.

Because of the sidewinding nature of the thread, I feel compelled to repeat the main point of this post. On the order of magnitude where we are talking about most concerning and most pressing issue, yesterday was neither a talent issue nor an X's and O's issue. Therefore I don't understand the leap from some to go as far as 'how can GT compete as a program going forward?' We have a PREPAREDNESS issue. This is unacceptable in year 1, let alone year 3.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Preparedness comes from the pregame and weekly mindset leading up to the game.

And the reason we are not prepared is CGC is boosting players morale not tearing them apart and ripping them. Love is not the answer here anymore and being a softie and caring about players needs to take a back seat to hardline discipline, no swag, and hard nasty work if CGC wants to keep his job and career.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
NIU punting with 4 mins left would suggest they didnt come to win but it worked out for them
Also seemed to me NIU was way more disciplined. They came to win. They came to play football. They did not come to lose.
I thought our discipline was OK and I thought we looked good on many individual plays. It just seemed to lack staying power which keeps leading me back to, what do they focus on in practice. What are the important messages do our coaches instill in our players.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Been debating how to approach my thoughts - within this thread or as a standalone one - because only a few thoughts are related to 'Fire Geoff Collins'. I'll break this up into separate posts today because I prefer responses that are in line with each point.

First, we have a coaching problem. It has been clear since Season 1. I called out the time management, pre- and post-snap penalties against The Citadel as my first, in general, 'oh s***, we have a problem' takeaways from the game. Despite confirmation bias from others, we did not lose that game because of the offense we faced. El Cid would not have scored 1-2 of their drives if it weren't for non-play related issues i.e., pre and post snap penalties. We lost the game due to discipline and preparedness, plain and simple.

To that end, yesterday was not a Jimmies and Joes issue. We have far better talent than NIU. It was also not an X's and O's issue. We schemed guys running wide open. We had a receiver drop a catchable pass. We fumbled an unchallenged mesh. We had 2-3 defenders jogging off the field on defense with NIU snapping the ball to cause a substitution infraction. We called a timeout and 2nd and goal after gaining 3 yards and had NIU's defense on roller skates. We called another timeout on 4th down not because we saw a look, but because WE WERE NOT PREPARED.

Because of the sidewinding nature of the thread, I feel compelled to repeat the main point of this post. On the order of magnitude where we are talking about most concerning and most pressing issue, yesterday was neither a talent issue nor an X's and O's issue. Therefore I don't understand the leap from some to go as far as 'how can GT compete as a program going forward?' We have a PREPAREDNESS issue. This is unacceptable in year 1, let alone year 3.
Bingo,
The thing is, I hope someone is at least giving coach Collins and staff some heat for all of this .
In year 3 we should not be making mistakes of year one to a lower school , plain and simple .
We are not an fcs school and should not be playing like an fcs school .
Coach needs to be held accountable plain and simple. Last year he got snappy when the media started giving him crap, but maybe he needs to hear more of it, Instead of just feeding us the same "progress", elite, Bs.

I have faith that we can still win big games this year, but only if Collins accepts he has some coaching issues to resolve

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

Some have been pointing out preparedness as an issue since year 1. How many time does the offense look unprepared or confused pre-snap ? For all the self flagellation about the low talent level under CPJ (don’t buy it) we have lost to Citadel, Syracuse, and NIU, all with lesser talent - and I would argue that BC, Pitt, Duke (year 1) all have lesser or at least on par talent. All losses. Remember that we barely beat a terrible USF team as well….

This is beyond a pattern. IIWII at this point. Until something changes.

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve seen posts here from people at the game that may watch the broadcast, don’t. You’re welcome. It’s no better on tv.
Also a lot of Butch Jones talk, y’all remember he beat the lord of the triple option right?

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
The real question that I have is whether Sims will actually develop under this staff. What I saw last night was that our staff did not develop Sims at all this offseason - he looked lost and missed several WIDE open receivers. That is not a good sign.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

We have a PREPAREDNESS issue. This is unacceptable in year 1, let alone year 3.

Just curious if (in your opinion) the staff is trying to do TOO much marketing/recruiting/peripheral stuff....i.e. all the various videos and social media things, uniform reveals, etc. Would stripping away all non-essential activities that don't directly lead to preparing for success in the upcoming week be suspended until this issue is fixed? The longterm will not be a problem for this staff if the immediate results don't get resolved.

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
If there’s a single look at me or hyping up that program this week someone needs to be cussed out.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Thoughts on offense:

I wanted to come out and establish the run game. We had several successful runs early but drives were frequently stopped when we were unable to execute lower percentage passing plays. Yes the plays were there and the receivers were running open. But the fact is we didn’t hit those lower percentage plays while our higher percentage plays were working well.

I wanted to see a more methodical approach early in the game. Wear ‘em down a little, get a lead, then build off what’s working. Instead we went wide open and it blew up in our face. Particularly when the other team was successful early running the ball and winning TOP/wearing down our defense. I was cringing when Sims would drop back because I wanted us to keep running until they stopped it. Maybe we hit those passing plays in practice. However I feel there needs to be some recognition this is Game 1 and execution of complexity tends to be wanting for most EVERY team.

Second, for running a spread offense we put remarkably little pressure on the perimeter both running and throwing. I loved the pitch to Dontae on 4th and 1. Other than an option play that worked pretty well I didn’t see us put the ball quickly out in space on the perimeter much. Why not make them defend a quick pitch to Gibbs? If they didn’t defend the play to Dontae why not run it again? Where were the WR bubble screens or other quick game plays to get the ball wide in a hurry?

Good teams drive to run out the clock with a lead. We let them stuff us on two runs up the middle then tried a slow developing throw wide where our receiver goes out of bounds.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Fired Thaker and Patenaude. CGC should be moved to DC and word the shift so that we don’t have to buy him out. Let him stay as a recruiting guy but don’t let him near the offense. Promote Key to HC and Choice to OC. We can make this work without paying Collins $13M
It doesn't work that way. Contracts spell out the title and role and responsibilities. I'm sure his contract stipulates he will hold the position of head coach. Shame because your scenario looks more appealing than the current.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen posts here from people at the game that may watch the broadcast, don’t. You’re welcome. It’s no better on tv.
Also a lot of Butch Jones talk, y’all remember he beat the lord of the triple option right?

No, CPJ's offense was running wild on Butch Jones...but Butch Jones's had the advantage of playing against our crap defense.