Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I liked CPJ more than CCG as our HC.

In fairness though, there are a number of things that worked for (and against) CPJ that I think get lost in these types of discussions. Among the stats that without proper context give CPJ the benefit of the doubt:
  • Prior to CPJ, the ACC runner-up did not auto-qualify for the Orange Bowl as we did in 2014 (thanks to FSU competing for bigger postseason things). Absent that auto-qualification rule, a 3-loss Georgia Tech was not going to be chosen at-large (imo), despite being deserving based on the product on the field. I'm basing that on criteria that classically motivates bowls to select at-large (big travelling fan base, brand name, etc).
  • CCG and CPJ had the same ACC Championship game qualification rate (approx 1 every 6 years). I understand that folks will point to CPJ's 3 appearances in 11 years, but I don't lump in the 6-6 season as a mark of accomplishment, particularly since two teams ahead of us in the Coastal were DQ'd. Every single season of Chan's was > .500, and he should get the same benefit of the doubt on an apples to apples comparison.
  • Chan Gailey actually had a marginally better win percentage overall in my math is correct, in an apples to apples comparison, specifically targeting records against FBS/D-1. Georgia Tech didn't start playing FCS until 2004, if I recall correctly. Neither coach lost to FCS. Said another way, toss in a couple FCS opponent for CCG in 2002-2003, all other things remaining the same, does he become an 8-win coach?
Anyway, I doubt this sways many folks, but I think it's relevant, despite my preference for CPJ in the overall comparison.

I agree with this. I never thought Gailey was a bad coach. In fact, he was probably criminally underrated for his ability to find and develop talent. If given the chance, I really feel like he may have had another year or two of 9-10 win seasons at GT, but we pulled the plug before that could be seen. I still believe history will bear out, via an NCAA HoF invite, that CPJ was the better coach of the two.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Not being able to afford the buyout is a failure of TStan's imo. Personally I'm of the mind TStan has failed if Collins is back next year, period. If TStan wants him back because he thinks Collin's is a good coach who has hit the milestones he should have in 3 years I don't think he is a good boss, if he can't raise/find the money to fire him he is bad with fundraising and managing the athletic budget. Both/either or those things makes him bad at his job and he needs to go.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Tech played furman in 95
Ucf was a first year fbs in 96
Citadel in 2001

So ucf was probably scheduled at as an fcs team before bumping up that year.

I only went back to O’Leary’s first full year. I know tech played fcs teams before that cuz they lost/tied to furman in the 80s

IIRC, Division 1-AA was renamed FCS in 2006. Probably announced in 2004 or 2005 and could lead to confusion when googling for data.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
criminally underrated for his ability to find and develop talent
1637781878833.png

I think this is probably the straw that broke the camel's back. I also think CCG was fine, but I honestly think he under performed by a large margin considering the teams he had. Maybe it was just variance, and he'd have improved. Will never know.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That was the a big point of the point I was trying to make

Liberty
- has a large $1.6B endowment, with few strings attached
- are a private institution and have greater independence in their financial decisions

Georgia Tech
- has a larger $2.2B endowment with lots of strings attached
- there are also research $$
- that endowment is not usable by the Athletic Association beyond some negligible (‘here is a box lunch’) amount. This isn’t just “Regents say it’s not OK”—it’s state law creating a financial firewall between the academic and athletic sides of the house
- on the academic and research side, the $2.2B can be used. That side of GT is way in the green
- on the athletic side of the house, the academic endowment and research money does not exist. The AA is $200MM in the red.

There may be a few creative things that the academic side of the house can do, but I think they’re close to the legal max they can give the AA.

The general answer to “GT has $X, why can’t the AA do <insert thing>” is “The AA isn’t GT, and that’s un-possible in the current setup”.
The Ga. Tech. Alumni Assoc. and its subsidiary, The Georgia Tech Foundation are private corporations that operate on behalf of The Georgia Institute of Technology. The Georgia Tech Foundation manages the Alexander-Tharpe Fund for the Georgia Tech Athletic Association.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 11682
I think this is probably the straw that broke the camel's back. I also think CCG was fine, but I honestly think he under performed by a large margin considering the teams he had. Maybe it was just variance, and he'd have improved. Will never know.
Yes, Chan never should've agreed to the moronic demand that he give up play calling to someone much less qualified.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
What’s the risk that Jahmyr Gibbs enters the NCAA Transfer Portal after the UGA game?
I think TStan needs to line up a VERY lucrative endorsement deal for Mr Gibbs, conditioned with full forfeiture of all payments made if he transfers from Tech, then have a word with Jahmyr Gibbs in private about what’s/who’s coming and when…

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not being able to afford the buyout is a failure of TStan's imo. Personally I'm of the mind TStan has failed if Collins is back next year, period. If TStan wants him back because he thinks Collin's is a good coach who has hit the milestones he should have in 3 years I don't think he is a good boss, if he can't raise/find the money to fire him he is bad with fundraising and managing the athletic budget. Both/either or those things makes him bad at his job and he needs to go.
I'm sure the GTAA will accept a wire transfer of $14million from you if you truly feel that strong about the contract. Or are you really someone who likes to spend other people's money?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what it would take to be a hopeful sign, but I would like to see as a minimum:

Substitutions that happen before the play clock is below 15 seconds on offense and before the offense is set on defense.
Play calls that arrive before the play clock is under 15 seconds on offense and well before the snap on defense.
The secondary at least attempting to cover the correct area/player. (Even if they are overmatched and beaten at least being in the correct position.)
Rather, bring in the correct zip code
at least being in the correct zip code

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Somewhere out there in GT Alumni Land, there just has to be at least one, two, three, or more? — perhaps even a group — of GT graduate-billionaires or millionaires who are disgusted with the current football program after these past three seasons, and are willing to buy out CGC’s remaining contract right now.

There just has to be. If not, I would be really surprised.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Somewhere out there in GT Alumni Land, there just has to be at least one, two, three, or more? — perhaps even a group — of GT graduate-billionaires or millionaires who are disgusted with the current football program after these past three seasons, and are willing to buy out CGC’s remaining contract right now.

That well has been tapped frequently the last few years just to now indulge frivolity to satisfy weak egos this year. Patience, it's a virtue.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm sure the GTAA will accept a wire transfer of $14million from you if you truly feel that strong about the contract. Or are you really someone who likes to spend other people's money?

It's all our money. The ACC wouldn't have a TV deal if there were no fans watching games. Adidas would not sign a contract with us if there were no fans to market to. The athletic department makes money off of every ticket and concession sold. It signs advertising partners because those companies see value in getting their brand in front of fan's eyes. Also it is the AD's job to raise that money, not wait for a handout from me. He needs to put in some work on his end, It isn't my job to make his easier by writing a check. As far as I know he hasn't even reached out to ask for help for a buyout.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
That well has been tapped frequently the last few years just to now indulge frivolity to satisfy weak egos this year. Patience, it's a virtue.
So he can't raise funds now because he did in the past? Is he getting paid for things he has already done, or is he getting paid for the work he is doing today? It is one of the biggest jobs he has in the role, you have to always fundraise. Every single day. Doubly so in a case where it is to fix your own error.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just putting this here.

I have read two or three posts in this thread that claim some of our fans are actively rooting for Tech to lose games. Since I somehow missed whoever was doing that can somebody point out who it was on this thread who stated they wanted Tech to lose games? Again, I thought I read all the comments on here but I missed those comments.

Another claim I have seen on here is that some people are hoping we lose key players in the portal. All I saw was people crying doom and gloom that this was going to happen if we keep losing. I personally wish people wouldn’t predict that for players like Gibbs but then again, when it comes to sports, I tend to get superstitious.
But I didn’t see anyone happy about the idea. Still wish they wouldn’t say it.

GTcanWINagain

Banned

Well, there definitely are. I have to think this group of donors already gets hit up by GT on both the academic and athletic sides. However, the people who you are talking about have deeper pockets than someone who could put $5K in the collection plate for CGC’s buyout. That said, are you just going to hand your millions over to Stansbury & his friends on the Athletics board or do you have stings attached to avoid a misunderstanding by the GTAA when hire Ted Roof as a “Co-HC” for Collins? :)

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's all our money. The ACC wouldn't have a TV deal if there were no fans watching games. Adidas would not sign a contract with us if there were no fans to market to. The athletic department makes money off of every ticket and concession sold. It signs advertising partners because those companies see value in getting their brand in front of fan's eyes. Also it is the AD's job to raise that money, not wait for a handout from me. He needs to put in some work on his end, It isn't my job to make his easier by writing a check. As far as I know he hasn't even reached out to ask for help for a buyout.
So, why do we need to beg for handouts? And, no, it is not "our" money anymore than the $ made from our subscriptions on You Tube.