Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
How many times are you going to make this point. It sucks, and it will absolutely solve nothing. Going 8-4 against 4 sh*tty G5 teams and 8 sh*tty ACC teams will accomplish nothing. It won’t help attendance, it won’t help perception, and it won’t help GT become a premier program. Look at Wake Forest. They’ve played an embarrassingly soft schedule for a P5 team and have gotten no respect for it. They’re 9-2 and got left off multiple AP voter’s ballots. If they go 9-3 they will end the season unranked, or even if they go 10-2 and lose to Pitt in the ACCCG they will likely be ranked very low. If they played that schedule year over year the level of respect to them would drop even lower.

Nobody wants to watch Bowing Green, Toledo, Tulsa, and San Jose State in Bobby Dodd Stadium every year. If we resort to playing that schedule we’ll lose the already very small fanbase we do have
Sounds like the sec model.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Sure, right after the whole SEC West does so. Have you seen the cupcakes they use to fill out their non-conference schedules?

Alabama: Mercer (FCS), So. Miss (2-9 in Conf USA), New Mexico State (Independent, 1-10), Miami
Arkansas: Rice (Conf USA, 3-8), Texas, GA Southern (Sunbelt, 3-8), Ark-Pine Bluff (FCS)
Auburn: Akron (MAC, 2-9), Alabama St (FCS), Penn St, Georgia St (Sun Belt, 6-5)
LSU: UCLA, McNees St (FCS), Cent. Michigan (MAC, 7-4), LA-Monroe (Sun Belt, 4-7)
Mississippi: Louisville, Austin Peay (FCS), Tulane (AAC, 2-9), Liberty (Independent, 7-4)
Miss St: LA Tech (Conf USA, 3-8), NC State, Memphis (AAC, 5-6), Tenn St (FCS)
Texas A&M: Kent St (MAC, 6-5), Colorado, New Mexico (MWC, 3-8), Prairie View (FCS)

Evey single one of them plays a single P5 OOC—none of them nearly as tough as our match-up with (u)GA every year—two weak G5 teams, and one FCS team. By your reckoning, I guess, the SEC West has already dropped down to the FCS level...?
That might be true if they didn’t already have some combination of Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M already pre-built into their schedule, and semi regularly playing UGA, Florida, and Tennessee. I wish all conferences would go to a 9 game conference schedule, but the ACC and SEC haven’t. The only difference between the 2 is that there are a lot more compelling teams in the SEC than the ACC, so they can get away with it.

Good Luck getting fans to Miss. State games if they weren’t playing Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss all at home this year. Guess what, next year they get Texas A&M, Auburn, and Georgia. If they were playing teams like Pitt, UVA, Duke, BC, then no one would care. Just like no once cares when we do.

Tech’s scheduling is fine right now for the type of program we have. Usually it’s UGA, a similarly matched P5 program or the ND tie in game, a G5 team, and an FCS team. Dropping UGA and playing 4 cupcakes while occasionally playing Notre Dame will solve absolutely nothing. Not attendance issues, not fan base issues, not money issues, not perception issues.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That might be true if they didn’t already have some combination of Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M already pre-built into their schedule, and semi regularly playing UGA, Florida, and Tennessee. I wish all conferences would go to a 9 game conference schedule, but the ACC and SEC haven’t. The only difference between the 2 is that there are a lot more compelling teams in the SEC than the ACC, so they can get away with it.

Good Luck getting fans to Miss. State games if they weren’t playing Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss all at home this year. Guess what, next year they get Texas A&M, Auburn, and Georgia. If they were playing teams like Pitt, UVA, Duke, BC, then no one would care. Just like no once cares when we do.

Tech’s scheduling is fine right now for the type of program we have. Usually it’s UGA, a similarly matched P5 program or the ND tie in game, a G5 team, and an FCS team. Dropping UGA and playing 4 cupcakes while occasionally playing Notre Dame will solve absolutely nothing. Not attendance issues, not fan base issues, not money issues, not perception issues.
And, we would be in a bowl game every year.

Jolly Good Fellow
If we don’t talk about it then it definitely won’t happen.
I so don't want this to happen..
But in this new age of transfer portal and NIL, if I am Gibbs, I'm gone...
Can't leave six figure $$ on table when you are one blown ACL away from obscurity....
Forget the millions it takes to fire Geoff...get big-time Tech money guy to throw $250k at Gibbs....

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
How many times are you going to make this point. It sucks, and it will absolutely solve nothing. Going 8-4 against 4 sh*tty G5 teams and 8 sh*tty ACC teams will accomplish nothing. It won’t help attendance, it won’t help perception, and it won’t help GT become a premier program. Look at Wake Forest. They’ve played an embarrassingly soft schedule for a P5 team and have gotten no respect for it. They’re 9-2 and got left off multiple AP voter’s ballots. If they go 9-3 they will end the season unranked, or even if they go 10-2 and lose to Pitt in the ACCCG they will likely be ranked very low. If they played that schedule year over year the level of respect to them would drop even lower.

Nobody wants to watch Bowing Green, Toledo, Tulsa, and San Jose State in Bobby Dodd Stadium every year. If we resort to playing that schedule we’ll lose the already very small fanbase we do have
as of right now, no one wants to watch Tech play Bama, ga, UF or whoever at BDS minus the other teams fans.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
A “D” is better than an “F”. Got it. 👍😂
He%27s_Out_of_line_but_he%27s_right.jpg

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Until Sims got hurt late this season, we really didn't have that many three and outs. Our issue was scoring TDs in the red zone. It's only been the ND game the three and outs were prevalent.
I was trying to find those stats but haven’t been able to. I know we have one of the worst third down conversion rates in the country, so it just made sense to me that threes and out would be right there with it, but maybe it’s more like we get one first down and then fall apart. Red zone efficiency and 3rd/4th down conversions are an absolute disaster this year

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
as of right now, no one wants to watch Tech play Bama, ga, UF or whoever at BDS minus the other teams fans.
And beating up on a bunch of MAC, Mountain West, and FCS teams is going to change that how? None of this conversation has even brought up the fact that those games literally cost Tech money. We have to pay those teams to come play us unless we want to give them a home game in return. And the day that Georgia Tech starts traveling to Tulsa, Wyoming, and Miami Ohio will be the day that Georgia Tech football has officially died.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And beating up on a bunch of MAC, Mountain West, and FCS teams is going to change that how? None of this conversation has even brought up the fact that those games literally cost Tech money. We have to pay those teams to come play us unless we want to give them a home game in return. And the day that Georgia Tech starts traveling to Tulsa, Wyoming, and Miami Ohio will be the day that Georgia Tech football has officially died.
Personally I would love to go to Wyoming for a game. 😊

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Misery loves company. That's all this blurb is. You are miserable because we are losing and the only right answer is for everyone else associated with GT football to be as miserable as you are. That's sounds silly when said that way, doesn't it? That's because it is silly. It's also true. I've never coached football, but I've both played baseball through the college level and coached competitive league youth baseball teams for years. When my youth struggle through a series of losses, I keep the positive reinforcement going. For a lot of players, making them feel miserable for losing a game just isn't productive. We have a discussion about why we lost and then we put it behind us. Same with the wins. It's not a bad thing.

If you don't like it, that's a personal issue, but it is not a sign that players don't care or that the coaching staff isn't coaching. It's just a miserable fan base wanting everyone else associated with the team to be miserable as well.
Not at all. I really don’t care one way or another if they’re miserable. But they keep talking about the positive attitude like it means something while they’re consistently producing poor results.

I’ve been a member of teams both in sports and in a professional setting that aren’t performing well at times. When it’s happened and team members have been jovial it’s been my personal experience that they are not taking things very seriously. Given what I’ve seen on the field (particularly last weekend) I just have a hunch something like that could be going on.

My point was that talking about how the team is continuing to do what they’ve been doing through a disastrous stretch shouldn’t exactly instill confidence in anyone…so why even say it?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Well, to be fair, none of us knows what is really going on in the locker room. Everyone is conjecturing based on two data points, what the coach says and what is happening on the field. It’s easy to see why some might draw a negative conclusion. I suspect we will know sooner rather than later what’s actually going on in the locker room.
Correct. I didn’t ask what was going on in the locker room and then critique it. They offered up the information as if it was a sign of how they’re going to turn things around. Quite frankly when things are not going well it makes more sense to talk about what you’re going to change to make them turn around.

Imagine your boss getting after you for poor performance of your team. Would you ever just say, “yeah, results have been terrible but we are just gonna keep doing what we’ve been doing and have a positive attitude!”

And honestly they’ve lost me right now. I’m beyond misery. I just don’t really care anymore. I’m not going down there Saturday. It’s the first time in 23 years I will miss a home game because I frankly just don’t care to watch it. I struggled with it for a while, but there are just better ways to spend my time at this point in my life than spending the whole day hopelessly cheering for a disorganized mess that has virtually zero chance to compete, let alone win. The moment we start playing organized, disciplined football I’ll reconsider, but I’m not sure it’s a quick fix.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
We made a bowl game for 22 straight years without playing a bullsh*t schedule. There’s no reason to start playing one now. Especially when we’re hurting for fans and money
This is a smart post. If you look back at the attendance analysis that I posted recently, it appears - for better or for worse - vitally important to “energize our GT fan base” by either beating a reknown opponent early - or at least losing a very close game to one in a nationally televised TV game. While I - & probably most on here - actually get season tix annually, there are MANY CONDITIONAL TECH FANS who see how the winds are blowing before they shell out their cash! This I saw 1st hand when I worked at a large ATL company with 200+ Tech grads. I would get “Were you at the Auburn game? I need to get tickets this year as we are going to be good”. Sad but painfully true.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
If money is going to always be an issue for us, why not look at a head coach like Gary Goff at Valdosta State. He has a track record of turning programs around or making them better at all his stops along the way.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a question for any of you. Since we are not going to beat Georgia what would you need to see in that game that would either be a moral victory or at least indicate that some progress has been made? What kind of loss to Georgia would be a hopeful sign for you?
I don't know what it would take to be a hopeful sign, but I would like to see as a minimum:

Substitutions that happen before the play clock is below 15 seconds on offense and before the offense is set on defense.
Play calls that arrive before the play clock is under 15 seconds on offense and well before the snap on defense.
The secondary at least attempting to cover the correct area/player. (Even if they are overmatched and beaten at least being in the correct position.)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I was trying to find those stats but haven’t been able to. I know we have one of the worst third down conversion rates in the country, so it just made sense to me that threes and out would be right there with it, but maybe it’s more like we get one first down and then fall apart. Red zone efficiency and 3rd/4th down conversions are an absolute disaster this year
Our first down rate is 71.1%, rank 67. First down rate is percentage of drives getting one first down or more. First down rate can be found here under OFD: https://www.bcftoys.com/2021-ofei

Since our team is pretty explosive, we get first downs on first or second down, and fail to convert on third. We are rank 104 third down conversion percentage with 33.8%