Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Duke

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Ugag...

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Ummmm....huh? We can almost all agree UGA is overrated? I know as GT fans were supposed to bash them at every turn but don't be blind. If you've watched them, they are really damn good. They will be favored in every single one of their games the rest of the way and no one in the East is close to them right now.

Let's get this straight. A team is underrated if the media, opponents, opposing fans, likely as not their own fans, do not perceive them as being that good but subsequent games show them to be much better than expected. Good examples of this kind of team this year would be Wake Forest and Virginia. A team like UGA, Miami, Clemson cannot by definition be underrated because everyone just about every year buys into the hype that naturally accompanies these teams. They can, on the other hand, be OVERRATED that is not be as good as perceived. None of the aforementioned teams really fit into that category this year as they seem to be playing very good ball and living up to the preseason hype, particularly UGA and Clemson. Tennessee would be an example of a team that this year is OVERRATED based on what we saw on opening night and their continued presence in the top 25 which in my view is wholly without merit.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
But if the defense we have seen on the Flats the past two weeks had showed up for the second half of the Tennessee game, we would have won easily. I don't count that game as much of a metric for the rest of the season, other than that the offense CAN be pretty much unstoppable. The mutts have really only stopped our O once in the Johnson era, and that was with defenses that were supposedly better than their defense this year.
I guess I'm just not sure that the defense has changed much between the Tennessee and the North Carolina game but rather it's a defense that is going to hold down bad offenses and get lit up by good offenses.

I guess I'm just not sure that the defense has changed much between the Tennessee and the North Carolina game but rather it's a defense that is going to hold down bad offenses and get lit up by good offenses.
The reason I think as I do is that we have never in the past 5 or more years shown the aggressiveness we have shown the past two weeks or in the first quarter of the Tennessee game. If we get burned playing the way we seem to be playing now, I prefer that a helluva lot more than getting burned playing the way we have in the past. At least we might be considered to be going down fighting, rather than just going down.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

I understand your concerns and normally I would agree but this year's defense is full of people with a lot of experience. Both safeties, both corners, one of the linebackers etc. They are recognizing plays much quicker and limiting promising plays with sure tackling. We really could be seeing a much improved defense due to nothing more than painful experience built up over the past two years. Could be a mirage or it could be the real thing. Miami will tell the tale. It should be noted also, that Simmons and Saint are outstanding this year at end. The pressure on quarterbacks is definitely affecting their play as seen by UNC throwing two interceptions to AJ and Corey almost coming up with two more.