Most exciting play in Tech history?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Saturday night was absolutely incredible. I honestly didn't think we'd win, but boy, the team proved me wrong. It really surprised me that the defense and special teams is what stepped up to make it happen, and that may have even made it more exciting.

So every time I've watched or even thought about the play since, I get chills. It quite honestly might be the most exciting play in Tech football history.

Agree or disagree?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I just add it to all my other favorite GT memories. But as far as a single play, yeah it definitely is up there.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I agree, it was the most exciting play I have ever seen. Others were close, but not this good, such as: Watkins catch to beat Clemson,
Calvin's two catches to beat Clemson, the Miracle on North Avenue, Don Toner's interception to beat Bama in 1962, Sisson's FG to beat UVA, Lee's TD vs UGA.

Watkins catch against Clemson was incredible. So glad you mentioned it. I give this one the nod because it's combination of both a block and a TD return was more improbable than that catch.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The blocked kick on 3rd down, Godsey advancing it, and then kicking it on 4th down to beat the mutts....holds a close 2nd place....but doesn't quite qualify as its actually 2 plays combined.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
It's hard to compare different eras of football so I will limit my selections to the CPJ era.
1) Lance Austin Saturday
2) DJ White pick against Uga last year
3) Nesbit game winning 4th down OT touchdown against Wake '09
4) Butker Kick against UGA to force OT
5) Nesbit ripping his fumble back against FSU - This one is more just awe inspiring than exciting

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Last season, when we had to kick the 53 yard FG against UGA just to put the game in Overtime, and then having White make the Interception to seal the game after we had our Extra Point Blocked so a UGA TD would have given THEM a chance to win with a TD and Extra Point, was a pretty good high, especially since it was AT UGA.

But given the fact that Aguayo had NEVER missed ANY kick in the Fourth Quarter in his entire Career (67 FG's), and had NEVER had a Kick Blocked in his entire Career, and Tech's ONLY lead came AFTER TIME EXPIRED, I'd say this was one for the ages...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/miracle-on-techwood-by-the-numbers/

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just reading this thread makes me appreciate being a Tech fan even more. We've had a bunch of timeless moments on the grid iron. Can't believe nothing from the Lil' Joe days?

No prettier a deep ball than off the hand of Lil' Joe.

Last edited: