3. GT
4. UVA
5. Pitt
6. UNC
7. Duke

Desirability
1. Duke - low expectations, tons of money, you can be .500 for life
2. UVA - see above with slightly higher expectations but a higher ceiling
3. GT - mostly low expectations, decent ceiling though, very stable, multiple ADs have set the bar quite low with public comments. Only four coaches in 25 years.
4. VT - high expectations than their ceiling.
5. Miami - impossible standards to live up to. Not great facilities or fan support.
6. Pitt - meh. Revolving door job.
7. UNC - dumpster fire. Second fiddle to basketball.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If all HC jobs in the ACC Coastal came open today, how do you believe potential HC candidates would rank the openings in terms of desirability?

Here are the schools in alphabetical order:
  1. Duke
  2. Georgia Tech
  3. Miami
  4. North Carolina
  5. Pittsburgh
  6. Virginia
  7. Virginia Tech
Miami
GT
VT
UNC
Pitt
Virginia
Duke
Last 3 are pretty even, same with number 2 and 3

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Right now? UNC would be near the bottom. They had to get a retread because they have to pay so much for a buyout. If you are a coach you want to go to a school that gives you $ for staff and assistants and facilities, not one that has to fork out $15+ million to a guy to not coach.

Miami - they pay, easy to recruit to, you would be a legend if you brought them back
VT - passionate fans, relatively easy to recruit to, underrated recruiting area if you include DC as well

Pitt, UVA, and GT are kind of all the same with different pros and cons that balance out. I actually think UVA is the best if I'm a coach. They have a very good athletic department outside of football with top level basketball, baseball, lacrosse, soccer etc. No reason the right guy can't do great things there.

Duke - fans don't care, boosters don't care as much as other schools, you'll always be 2nd fiddle to basketball, lots of in-state competition. Even with their recent success it is tough to draw talent here. Even the ACC coastal run didn't really move to needle with fans and recruiting too much.

UNC - nobody is going to succeed unless the booster money starts to flow into football more. Apathetic fans and they are paying out the wazoo for Fedora's buyout. Once they get out from under the buyout, I think it would be one of the better jobs.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
1. VT - currently gets their choice from Tidewater, can sneak into MW and south for recruits. Could flip to UVa if the tides change in SE Virginia.
2. UNC -Typically get their choice of NC recruits and can snipe a few from Tidewater. Second fiddle to basketball plus crowded state keeps them out of first.
3. GT - money is potentially there plus good home base for recruiting. Semi-realistic expectations a plus. Academics (strength plus lack of depth) keep GT down.
4. Miami - poorer program than most think. Unrealistic expectations. Fertile recruiting ground keep it higher than the basements but the Miami area hasn't been producing like it did, and the top ones go to Bama or Georgia instead of staying home. Mediocre coaching since early 00s have taken the shine off the program. Coker was decent, but not a superior recruiter. The rest have been mediocre to terrible. Richt is probably better than the last 2, but that's not saying much.

5. UVa - had a good thing in Tidewater and tanked it during the Groh years. Haven't recovered since. A sleeping giant. While Bronco seems like a good coach, I don't know that UVa is the right fit.

6. Pitt - Apathy of the fanbase drives these guys down. Pro football town. Decent recruiting base. Has potential, but had 2 monsters in its midst (OSU and PSU)

7. Duke - basketball school who didn't until recently invest in the football program. Can recruit nationally based on academic brand and keep guys eligible in joke majors. Hard to recruit locally, which pushes them down. Funding issues abound.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
1. VT - currently gets their choice from Tidewater, can sneak into MW and south for recruits. Could flip to UVa if the tides change in SE Virginia.
2. UNC -Typically get their choice of NC recruits and can snipe a few from Tidewater. Second fiddle to basketball plus crowded state keeps them out of first.
3. GT - money is potentially there plus good home base for recruiting. Semi-realistic expectations a plus. Academics (strength plus lack of depth) keep GT down.
4. Miami - poorer program than most think. Unrealistic expectations. Fertile recruiting ground keep it higher than the basements but the Miami area hasn't been producing like it did, and the top ones go to Bama or Georgia instead of staying home. Mediocre coaching since early 00s have taken the shine off the program. Coker was decent, but not a superior recruiter. The rest have been mediocre to terrible. Richt is probably better than the last 2, but that's not saying much.

5. UVa - had a good thing in Tidewater and tanked it during the Groh years. Haven't recovered since. A sleeping giant. While Bronco seems like a good coach, I don't know that UVa is the right fit.

6. Pitt - Apathy of the fanbase drives these guys down. Pro football town. Decent recruiting base. Has potential, but had 2 monsters in its midst (OSU and PSU)

7. Duke - basketball school who didn't until recently invest in the football program. Can recruit nationally based on academic brand and keep guys eligible in joke majors. Hard to recruit locally, which pushes them down. Funding issues abound.
Doesn't Duke put more money into their football program than Georgia Tech does?

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Doesn't Duke put more money into their football program than Georgia Tech does?

Hard to tell with Duke being private. It also depends on how you amortize facilities. Duke dropped a bunch on their stadium recently. I can remember as recently as 10 years ago having to use portapotties at Wallace Wade. It was a big deal when. They built bathrooms.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech is the 2nd Best Job in the Most talent rich state over the last few years, I think the Only ACC Jobs better right now are FSU, Miami, Clemson, and VT.

Animal02

Banned
1.) North Carolina- The state university, favorable view of athletic department, shows willingness to cheat, low expectations
2.) Miami- fertile recruiting, cache, history, shows willingness to cheat.
3.) VT- good recent history, able to fit in questionable academic admits, desire to win and engaged fanbase
4/5.) Pitt/GT both have great history and above average facilities as little brothers to big state schools. Tech has the edge in recruiting a fertile area, while Pitt gets the edge for who they can recruit academics wise.
6.)UVA, big state school that could be a powerhouse, but never has been.
7.)Duke-I don't think there are enough Duke fans nationwide to fill their stadium.
Wasn't UVA highly ranked when we beat them in 1990?

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, a lot of you guys have GT way too high in my opinion. GT should be last. You could argue duke for last as well.

Why would anyone want to go to a job where you aren’t set up for success?

Recruiting hotbed sounds great - but we have to outbid 10-12 schools in the area with bigger brands (SEC football, recent success)

low funding from the school.

Small fanbase but with high expectations vs reality. Will never be happy.

1. Miami
2. Virginia Tech
3. UNC
4. PITT
5. UVA
6. Duke
7. GT

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
1. Miami - have the recruiting edge and location but short leash. Devoted fan base.
2. UNC - recruiting edge and location. Devoted fan base.
3. GT - location and given a looooong leash. Recruiting is hard but that is a plausible excuse for performance.
4. PITT - history but too far north. Penn State gets best recruits.
5. UVA - recruiting better in Va, loooooong leash here too.
6. Virginia Tech - location is going to kill them again. Beamer was an anomaly.
7. Duke - no one cares about Duke even when they win.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, a lot of you guys have GT way too high in my opinion. GT should be last. You could argue duke for last as well.

Why would anyone want to go to a job where you aren’t set up for success?

Recruiting hotbed sounds great - but we have to outbid 10-12 schools in the area with bigger brands (SEC football, recent success)

low funding from the school.

Small fanbase but with high expectations vs reality. Will never be happy.

1. Miami
2. Virginia Tech
3. UNC
4. PITT
5. UVA
6. Duke
7. GT

We've finished ahead of Duke in the recruiting rankings 4 of the last 5 years with a significantly smaller recruiting staff. Duke has their best coach that I can remember in my lifetime with more resources dedicated to recruiting and they still do worse than us, but it is a better job? Don't buy it.