Most Desirable HC Jobs in the ACC Coastal

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If all HC jobs in the ACC Coastal came open today, how do you believe potential HC candidates would rank the openings in terms of desirability?

Here are the schools in alphabetical order:
  1. Duke
  2. Georgia Tech
  3. Miami
  4. North Carolina
  5. Pittsburgh
  6. Virginia
  7. Virginia Tech

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Separately, is there any difference in your mind between "desirability" and "program best positioned for success"?

For example, at Miami a potential HC might have an easier time with recruiting but not necessarily a ton of support (short leash).

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
If all HC jobs in the ACC Coastal came open today, how do you believe potential HC candidates would rank the openings in terms of desirability?

1. Duke
  2. Georgia Tech
  3. Miami
  4. North Carolina
  5. Pittsburgh
  6. Virginia
  7. Virginia Tech

VT/Miami
UNC/UVA
Pitt
Duke
GT

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
VT/Miami
UNC/UVA
Pitt
Duke
GT
tenor.gif

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow

1. Duke
  2. Georgia Tech
  3. Miami
  4. North Carolina
  5. Pittsburgh
  6. Virginia
  7. Virginia Tech
1. Virginia Tech
2. North Carolina
3. Miami
4. Georgia Tech
5. Pittsburgh
6. Virginia
7. Duke

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Miami
Unc
VT/GT/Pitt/Duke/UVA

The last 5 are about equal where which is more attractive is more of a difference in what the individual coach would prefer.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
1.) North Carolina- The state university, favorable view of athletic department, shows willingness to cheat, low expectations
2.) Miami- fertile recruiting, cache, history, shows willingness to cheat.
3.) VT- good recent history, able to fit in questionable academic admits, desire to win and engaged fanbase
4/5.) Pitt/GT both have great history and above average facilities as little brothers to big state schools. Tech has the edge in recruiting a fertile area, while Pitt gets the edge for who they can recruit academics wise.
6.)UVA, big state school that could be a powerhouse, but never has been.
7.)Duke-I don't think there are enough Duke fans nationwide to fill their stadium.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

1. Duke
  2. Georgia Tech
  3. Miami
  4. North Carolina
  5. Pittsburgh
  6. Virginia
  7. Virginia Tech

VT, Miami, GT, UNC, Virginia, Duke, Pitt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
1.) North Carolina- The state university, favorable view of athletic department, shows willingness to cheat, low expectations
3.) VT- good recent history, able to fit in questionable academic admits, desire to win and engaged fanbase
4/5.) Pitt/GT both have great history and above average facilities as little brothers to big state schools. Tech has the edge in recruiting a fertile area, while Pitt gets the edge for who they can recruit academics wise.
7.)Duke-I don't think there are enough Duke fans nationwide to fill their stadium.
I think Duke will be replacing Coach Cut in about a month. I think he's like Paul and is ready to retire.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
UNC - great funding, academics not serious, alumni expectations are reasonable
UVA - pretty much the same as UNC, but second tier in their own state
Duke - tougher academics, basketball-first school, following Cutcliffe who has been the most successful coach is ages
Miami - great recruiting area, great location to live, but comes with astronomical expectations
VT - like Miami but in the middle of nowhere, and unlike Miami, the expectations don’t match their actual history
GT - difficult admissions criteria, good recruiting area but surrounded by 3/4 CFP teams and plenty of other big name schools recruit ATL
Pitt - crap recruits, mediocre place to live, limited fan base, Steelers-first town

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

I would move UVA above Pitt and GT. They have majors to put players and also have some good recruiting territory in that state, but otherwise, good write-up. I also feel like they are switching with VT for a while as the better school in the state

Personage

Georgia Tech Fan
  1. Miami (great recruiting location, probably the best pay in the Coastal, best facilities in the coastal)
  2. Virginia Tech (great pay, administration strongly supports football, good facilities, good recruiting)
  3. Virginia (the administration's taken a turn towards supporting football strongly in recent years, you'll get paid well, facilities are surprisingly good, well-positioned for recruiting)
  4. Georgia Tech (best recruiting location in the Coastal, hampered by academics and lack of administrative support for football)
  5. North Carolina (really rich athletic department, but not much of a football tradition means you'll have high expectations but underappreciated when you do well)
  6. Pitt (despite a seemingly good recruiting location, the administration doesn't support football much)
  7. Duke (the administration and, frankly, the fans don't care about football, recruiting is difficult with so many FBS schools sharing your state)

Deleted member 2897

I think Duke will be replacing Coach Cut in about a month. I think he's like Paul and is ready to retire.

Yea I mean he has done wonders at Duke, but even still continues to have horrible year after horrible year. They were outscored 94-13 their last 2 games.

In CPJs 11 years, he had only 1 single year below 0.500 in ACC play. In Cutcliffe's 11 years, he had only 2 single years above 0.500 in ACC play. 4 different times he's gone 1-7. Its been 5 years since he's had a winning record in ACC play. With the bagman/academic hiding infrastructure the basketball team has run so well for so long, its amazing that they haven't been able to translate that into the football program.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
1. VT - Best fan support of any coastal team and decent school with good variety of majors
2. Miami - Florida pipeline of talent, but also issues of culture. Harder to get team players and lack of fan support at games
3. UNC - Easy academics and decent support
4. UVA - Balanced school. Basically decent all around without excelling anywhere
5. GT - Good recruiting ground and decent, but not great fan support. Hardest entry requirements and limited academics
6. Pitt - Close to GT with a better academic situation, but worse recruiting grounds and not having a good stadium experience playing in a pro stadium
7. Duke - Football is an after thought in fan support, and 2nd fiddle to basketball when it is supported though they've made strides to address this.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Liked due to pointing out the teams that are willing to cheat!!! Pretty fair list though. UVA is also far from almost everything, even though it's a great town, which probably hurts them a fair bit (@ilovetheoption would be able to elaborate on that). Following Cut at Duke won't be easy if history is any indication.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Liked due to pointing out the teams that are willing to cheat!!! Pretty fair list though. UVA is also far from almost everything, even though it's a great town, which probably hurts them a fair bit (@ilovetheoption would be able to elaborate on that). Following Cut at Duke won't be easy if history is any indication.
I think Duke will go back to winning 1-3 games a year when Coach Cut retires