Moses F. Wright Highlights

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am sort of piggybacking off of the Jose A. thread but I saw the highlights of the VT game. I don't follow BB as closely as most of you all do but where (in your opinion) does Moses rank in the discussion of GT big men. Is he in the Tommy Hammonds/John Salley/Matt Harpring category or perhaps maybe a bit lower in the Matt Geiger/Luke Schenser (sp?) category? Not that that is a bad thing of course as I would be thrilled with either one of those guys on my team. Just curious where the more informed posters see him in perspective of some of our older legends.

I guess I am also curious as how do you see Jose? Is he Price/Anderson/Marbury level or more Travis Best/Jarrett Jack (again, not a bad place to be). Thanks for any insight.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the first group (Hammonds/Sally/Harpring) were program transcendent type players, whereas the second group (Geiger/Schenser) were very good players who were more secondary options that made the sum of the parts greater.

Moses, IMO, fits between the two groups. The first group defined GT basketball during their eras. We're talking about guys who helped carry the program on their backs for multiple years at All-ACC/All-American levels. Moses is a VERY good player, but his impact on this program has only been felt the last 1.5-2 yrs in terms of being the force he's become. He'll go down as one of the better big men to play for us, easily, but just a level below the first group. I'd put him at the Malcolm Mackey/Alvin Jones level.

That's not taking away anything from Moses...that's just saying the quality of players he's being compared to is really high, that speaks to how good GT basketball was at one point (and hopefully we will get to in the near future). GT has had some really good big men.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Techster basically nailed what I was going to say. However, I would add that if Pastner continues to improve the program and takes us back to being a consistent NCAAT team, and especially if we become a team that ever competes for an ACC championship, then I think both Moses and Jose will be seen in a similar view as Salley and Price. Sometimes it goes beyond just the stats or play on the court. Those two (talking Salley and Price) hold a special place in GT history for basically ushering in the golden age of GT basketball.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed that I would put him in a 1B category, as of now. If he comes back and continues this trajectory of improvement though I think he could get there. His biggest challenge is that we play him out of position often. If he comes back and we develop a legit 5... Woah boy. Not a single 4 is going to want to draw him on O or D.

Deleted member 2897

IMO, the first group (Hammonds/Sally/Harpring) were program transcendent type players, whereas the second group (Geiger/Schenser) were very good players who were more secondary options that made the sum of the parts greater.

Moses, IMO, fits between the two groups. The first group defined GT basketball during their eras. We're talking about guys who helped carry the program on their backs for multiple years at All-ACC/All-American levels. Moses is a VERY good player, but his impact on this program has only been felt the last 1.5-2 yrs in terms of being the force he's become. He'll go down as one of the better big men to play for us, easily, but just a level below the first group. I'd put him at the Malcolm Mackey/Alvin Jones level.

That's not taking away anything from Moses...that's just saying the quality of players he's being compared to is really high, that speaks to how good GT basketball was at one point (and hopefully we will get to in the near future). GT has had some really good big men.

"That's not taking away anything from Moses." Indeed, I think that's actually a high compliment. Moses didn't even play varsity basketball until his senior year of high school and got no college scholarship offers. His starting point for development was easily several years after most players. And look at where he's arrived - being spoken about for being just underneath Hammons/Sally/Harpring.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I said it before and I'll say again-Moses has gone from FR to now in BBall ability probably further than any player at Tech since I've watched, only 60 yrs. To think as Fr he couldn't shoot FGs or esp FTs, dribble , or pass really.He made wrong steps on DEF. So he could rebound a bit and dunk.
Just amazing how he's progressed.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think Wright compares with James Forest. They both dunk(ed) the ball very hard. Alvarado is like Tony Akins.
So, Akins (imo) is in that tier 2 group with Best and Jack. Pretty elite company nonetheless but just a notch below the Price/Anderson group. Is that about right?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I said it before and I'll say again-Moses has gone from FR to now in BBall ability probably further than any player at Tech since I've watched, only 60 yrs. To think as Fr he couldn't shoot FGs or esp FTs, dribble , or pass really.He made wrong steps on DEF. So he could rebound a bit and dunk.
Just amazing how he's progressed.
A tribute to Moses and coach rev. He is amazing.