More Proof That Our Staff Knows How To Find Talent

thwuga

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm confused why a player who breaks a verbal commitment is not looked at in the same way as a coach who does the same?
Wasn't this a case where Tre was committed to us and decided to go on an official visit to FSU, which is against the commitment policy? I may be mistaken, but I think that's what happened here. Don't get on that plane....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't this a case where Tre was committed to us and decided to go on an official visit to FSU, which is against the commitment policy? I may be mistaken, but I think that's what happened here. Don't get on that plane....
That's what I was referring to. A coach who breaks a commitment is vilified while a recruit who does the same it's just playing the game and doing what's best for him. I say a commitment should be viewing equally on both sides. It should be honored equally by both parties and breaker of such commitments should be looked down upon equally or not at all.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Go get it, Shaq! Looks like he's got a good chance to end up starting for a defending Super Bowl champ...not too shabby for a guy who was ignored in recruiting and played in our "antiquated" offense. Hope this ends the narrative that you can't go to the league from our O (along with 2 WRs drafted this year, we got a lot of myths getting busted).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That's what I was referring to. A coach who breaks a commitment is vilified while a recruit who does the same it's just playing the game and doing what's best for him. I say a commitment should be viewing equally on both sides. It should be honored equally by both parties and breaker of such commitments should be looked down upon equally or not at all.

Well, we don't always know all the details for why a kid flips a committment. For example, sometimes, they may have needed a test score that didn't come thru.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Had Shaq been a few inches taller, he doesn't last past the 2nd round.

He's paving the way (literally and figuratively) for the next crop of CPJ linemen. Will make scouts look twice at the guys coming out of our system despite the stigma of our offense.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Some coach -- might have been Johnson -- made some reference about committed as "at the time". I was surprised that we kept all 27(?) commitments for 2015 through such a long process, but in the back of my mind had to wonder if it meant that some of our guys really weren't good enough to get hijacked. From all indications, that's not so. Recruiting is such a demeaning undertaking.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Had Shaq been a few inches taller, he doesn't last past the 2nd round.

He's paving the way (literally and figuratively) for the next crop of CPJ linemen. Will make scouts look twice at the guys coming out of our system despite the stigma of our offense.
the geniuses among the NFL front offices know that the most important aspect of a lineman is his wingspan and how hesitant he can be standing up in Pass Pro.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Belichek on Shaq:

http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/8/4/...-coach-bill-belichick-talks-about-the-rookies

Shaq is an interesting guy who was in a run-oriented offense at Georgia Tech, they only threw the ball a handful of times each game. So he's got a ways to go in pass protection, but he's really smart and he's picked up things well and we'll just keep giving him more reps and see where he can improve. I'd say he's probably ahead of most rookies coming into the league as a run blocker, and probably behind a little bit on the passing end.

If a coaching staff is feeding a player first team reps, which is GOLD for players on that level, then they have plans for them. Good for Shaq, but ultimately he's the one that earned it with his performance.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
No big school wanted Flowers until we offered. Kind of sickening how many DL we have lost out on lately. Tuitt, Tomlinson, Flowers, and Thompson to name a few. Thank goodness we kept Freeman though!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No big school wanted Flowers until we offered. Kind of sickening how many DL we have lost out on lately. Tuitt, Tomlinson, Flowers, and Thompson to name a few. Thank goodness we kept Freeman though!
Big schools don't need to spend time and resources digging up the diamonds in the rough. They let the small schools do all the leg work then swoop in.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Because the commitment isn't equal. One side if making an all in choice that will impact the rest of their life. The other is making 1 out of ~22 commitments that year, and will repeat the process the next year. One is an 18 year old while the other is a coach making millions. On top of that the coaching equivalent to what Jackson did was continuing to recruit OLmen which we did, and always do. The idea that taking a visit to another college is the same as a coach pulling an offer or revoking a scholarship is absurd.

If a coach makes a wrong choice it's one scholarship out of 85. It ain't a big deal. If the kid makes a wrong choice, it's his one and only life, and could have a huge impact down the line. So no. It isn't equal, and shouldn't be viewed equally.

A couple years back we did the same thing to a guy, think his name was Aycock?, and he ended up doing nothing/getting booted and people said it was such a great decision by Johnson. Now the shoe is on the other foot and his decision bit us.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Please don't bring this up - adding Tre to this line would've been crazy and I hate it we didn't get him. We lost 3-4 recruits that ended up getting drafted out of that class; I know the Flowers kid got drafted.
And both of those guys are now Shaq's teammates in NE. Funny how that works out.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Because the commitment isn't equal. One side if making an all in choice that will impact the rest of their life. The other is making 1 out of ~22 commitments that year, and will repeat the process the next year. One is an 18 year old while the other is a coach making millions. On top of that the coaching equivalent to what Jackson did was continuing to recruit OLmen which we did, and always do. The idea that taking a visit to another college is the same as a coach pulling an offer or revoking a scholarship is absurd.

If a coach makes a wrong choice it's one scholarship out of 85. It ain't a big deal. If the kid makes a wrong choice, it's his one and only life, and could have a huge impact down the line. So no. It isn't equal, and shouldn't be viewed equally.

A couple years back we did the same thing to a guy, think his name was Aycock?, and he ended up doing nothing/getting booted and people said it was such a great decision by Johnson. Now the shoe is on the other foot and his decision bit us.
Pretty sure once the FSU offer materialized that was it for us with Tre. "Pulling" the offer was merely a formality. The only chance we had at that point was to hope that he would choose not to visit and receive his offer. Would have been a NASTY line though if it had worked out.