More Proof That Our Staff Knows How To Find Talent

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Except the FSU offer only materialized after we already pulled our offer. We pulled the offer prior to his visit with FSU, and on his visit to FSU he was told he might have to grayshirt and it wasn't until a couple of days later, after another FSU target went elsewhere that he received an actual offer. It's very likely that if we hadn't pulled the offer, he'd have ended up here instead of FSU.

Very doubtful. I don't really want to go into detail but Tre's high school coach shopped him to Jimbo and steered him to FSU after Tre had already committed to us. PJ had some very choice words about the coach at the signing day shindig 4 years ago.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's not that they necessarily "stop" recruiting, but they definitely go into the mode of "we don't have a commitable offer for you anymore."

My comment is the way I've understood it since Aycock was told not to get on that plane.
The "stop recruiting" refers not to the individual already recruited and now looking again, but for the slot, since it is now filled and now scholarship for it exists. They move on and concentrate on the next position in this game of chance.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The "stop recruiting" refers not to the individual already recruited and now looking again, but for the slot, since it is now filled and now scholarship for it exists. They move on and concentrate on the next position in this game of chance.
Almost. They keep recruiting the "waiting list" just in case somebody decommits.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Sorry but taking a visit doesn't constitute decommitting.
Isn't this dependent upon the agreement between player and coach? Without any information about the agreement to which the player agreed, I don't think you can make this comment. As for the balance of your comment, the next time a player committed to Tech, and who keeps his end of the bargain, finds himself without a place in the class will be the first. As long as that remains so, Johnson's position - and that of many other college coaches - remains morally and ethically defensible. End of discussion.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There is absolutely nothing that Jackson has done to indicate that he wouldn't have succeeded here, or would have had to resort to cheating.
I wouldn't say absolutely nothing, just judging from past experience how these things evolve. But I would say there is absolutely nothing to suggest that CPJ somehow ruined this guys chances of getting into Tech by being petulant. You have offered no proof that this is the case.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Almost. They keep recruiting the "waiting list" just in case somebody decommits.
But that is different from what was first being argued by Iv20gt. To be sure CPJ says in touch with kids and let's them know if the position is filled or if it suddenly became open. We can name a few players on Tech's roster right now who were on kind of a wait list. There is nothing illegal or immoral about that. CPJ says to the kid, yes, you were on our list but that position is now filled. We will let you know if that changes. If the kid really wants to come to Tech CPJ probably gives him regular updates. Then, if someone decommits at the last minute I am sure they get a call. I am also reasonably sure these last minute pick ups probably had a safety school they were committed to if the Tech position did not open up. Nothing wrong with any of this as long as everyone is honest with each other.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
That's what I was referring to. A coach who breaks a commitment is vilified while a recruit who does the same it's just playing the game and doing what's best for him. I say a commitment should be viewing equally on both sides. It should be honored equally by both parties and breaker of such commitments should be looked down upon equally or not at all.
Uuuh... Coaches are getting paid millions upon millions of dollars?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Uuuh... Coaches are getting paid millions upon millions of dollars?
Uhhh, what does that matter? It's ok to break a commitment so long as the other party makes a bunch of money? I'm not all that against breaking the commitment as I am guys committing just for an insurance policy while they shop around. That's what really sounds off to me. Factory coaches do this and get vilified in the media, recruits do it and it's "good on ya mate!" Double standard.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
FWIW, I read today that Dorian Walker ran a 10.71 100. That puts him squarely in the Justin Thomas/Broderick Snoddy/Nathan Cottrell "blazing speedburner" category.

And the Defense gets this one. Speed kills on D also and we need more on that side with DJ White and others departing after this year.

If I was gonna criticize CPJ on anything, and it would be a small criticism, it might be hoarding the speed on O a tad. I think chance and player preference played a part in some of that though.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
That's true to a point. But some of these guys are pressed for a commitment as young as 16. Probably the only solution is the one we have which is not good.

If the school is serious then they should be held to "their word". A risk they take for that scholarship spot.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That's true to a point. But some of these guys are pressed for a commitment as young as 16. Probably the only solution is the one we have which is not good.

otoh, the coaches might not press them so hard at 16 if the kid could ask for, and sign, a firm letter of intent while still a freshman or sophomore.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
You would see schools stop offering that early and bring the recruiting world back to reality.