More of this please!!!!

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I want perfection too... But look at the direction of all the defenders. They are not going in the right direction and are falling over each other avoiding blocks. I'll take it.

Look closer, I think Freddie does all the work there, not the BBack.
Looks like Freddie had NT pinned down then BBack ran into the DE read man and Freddie sending DE flying backwards. Perhaps that is what @forensicbuzz is referring to???

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I've also noticed some defenders showing some athleticism of their own fending off cut blocks in the open field. Blocks that looked pretty good to me but sometimes those being blocked just don't want to cooperate. Sometimes we leave our feet too early but other teams have some pretty athletic guys too.

Gonna be a good game.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Looks like the guy you wanted the AB to block was the pitch key. I don't know the result of this play, but it looks like the pitch is there for huge yards.

yep--if this was the play with Green getting pitch,he should have run forever but didn't--speed problem? I watched Lenny Snow on this exact pitch 50 yrs ago and he took it to house--maybe the reason we still mention him and probably won't mention Green 50 yrs from now

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I've also noticed some defenders showing some athleticism of their own fending off cut blocks in the open field. Blocks that looked pretty good to me but sometimes those being blocked just don't want to cooperate. Sometimes we leave our feet too early but other teams have some pretty athletic guys too.

Gonna be a good game.
OL with braces are already at a disadvantage. It is what it is. We have some athletic guys but the are not as agile as LB and DB in space. They do the best they can to get their guys out of the play.

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
Play side guard's job is to keep 52 out of the B gap, and play side tackle's job is to keep 41 from scraping over the top. Job done on both accounts. Is it perfect? No. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. But two weeks ago the issue was firing off the ball, taking the proper steps, and blocking the right defender. I'll take "didn't completely wipe him out, but canceled his effectiveness" over "came off slow and took the wrong guy" all day. Comparatively speaking, it's a rich man's problem.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
OL with braces are already at a disadvantage. It is what it is. We have some athletic guys but the are not as agile as LB and DB in space. They do the best they can to get their guys out of the play.

The plays I was thinking of were actually abacks taking on safeties and corners. I wasn't criticizing effort or technique so much as pointing out defenders train to defeat those blocks and have playmakers themselves. Sometimes I think we fans get a little too caught up thinking every block / play should succeed.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The plays I was thinking of were actually abacks taking on safeties and corners. I wasn't criticizing effort or technique so much as pointing out defenders train to defeat those blocks and have playmakers themselves. Sometimes I think we fans get a little too caught up thinking every block / play should succeed.
I did not mean to say that. I was just trying to explain why sometimes our guys look out of place. They have gaps that they are responsible for. Our OL are very athletic in comparison to other teams. They just are not at the LB and DB level... LOL Will loves the game. He does the best he can just like the other guys. WE have a good group pushing each other. No EGOS, they pull for each other and want to win.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Agree. Often when the block is a success the defender is playing the ball and not the blocker. When an athletic defender beats the block he is likely (at least temporarily) looking and playing the blocker. In this case if the timing of the attempted block is good we have success and if the timing is off the defender has success. I saw some good blocks that were not effective because the timing was off letting the blocked defender get up and back into the play. I also saw some weak blocks that were effective because the timing was right.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this for our guys, all the conditioning has made a difference. Our guys might get beat from time to time, but we win the point of attack. No one pushes us around.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this for our guys, all the conditioning has made a difference. Our guys might get beat from time to time, but we win the point of attack. No one pushes us around.
This week I'll be happy if we win upwards of 50% of the interior battles. We're going against some hosses.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Honest question: why didn't the right tackle (Andrew Marshall, #50) block the incoming safety instead of the linebacker, and had been able to leave the AB (Isiah Willis, #3) able to block the defender that JT met in the open field? By that I mean, the RT and AB blocked these guys (represented by the black line), but why didn't they block these other guys (represented by the red line)?
389d10cdab2c4583a1a5f5039d3072ad.png

If they had blocked the guys represented by the red lines, wouldn't there have been a lane for JT to run through, and perhaps pitch it to the AB that went in motion once they got past the line of scrimmage for perhaps an even greater gain (if JT even encountered anyone at that point)? Again, it would have looked like this when JT got to the line of scrimmage:
044f44ef10f448bc9811b47d801cbf37.png

This is a serious question. I don't really know what is supposed to happen in this situation, but it just seemed odd to me and I wanted to make sense of it, if anyone can clear up for me why they wouldn't do this. Thanks

Willis is responsible for the playside safety. If he blocks the outside backer (your red line), then JT has no one to read for the pitch.
Marshall's job is the middle/stacked backer.

I actually love how Willis played this. Instead of getting over aggressive and trying to pursue the safety, he saw the safety's angle and just squared up and waited for him. Poor job by the safety but a good job by Willis of recognizing this.

Important to note is that my above descriptions of their assignments is not exactly how it goes. They all COUNT before the play to determine who they are blocking. Marshall gets the first guy inside the end man on the line of scrimmage (EMLOS) that's not already accounted for. Willis gets the third guy outside the EMLOS (defensive end, outside backer.....safety is his.).

This count is set in stone when the ball is snapped. If the safety jumps inside of the outside backer after the snap (as he did here), then Willis still gets the safety. They don't shift the read keys based on post-snap movement.*

(* that's also not technically correct. Steebu has some great videos of how we account for an outside backer firing at the BB and the EMLOS widening out for the QB/pitch. But for the most part it's correct.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Willis is responsible for the playside safety. If he blocks the outside backer (your red line), then JT has no one to read for the pitch.

I actually love how Willis played this. Instead of getting over aggressive and trying to pursue the safety, he saw the safety's angle and just squared up and waited for him. Poor job by the safety but a good job by Willis of recognizing this.

Important to note is that my above descriptions of their assignments is not exactly how it goes. They all COUNT before the play to determine who they are blocking. Marshall gets the first guy inside the end man on the line of scrimmage (EMLOS) that's not already accounted for. Willis gets the third guy outside the EMLOS (defensive end, outside backer.....safety is his.).

This count is set in stone when the ball is snapped. If the safety jumps inside of the outside backer after the snap (as he did here), then Willis still gets the safety. They don't shift the read keys based on post-snap movement.*

(* that's also not technically correct. Steebu has some great videos of how we account for an outside backer firing at the BB and the EMLOS widening out for the QB/pitch. But for the most part it's correct.
Seems to me like a lot of presnap movement upfront can really screw up our blocking assignments. It also illustrates why very few true frosh see the field, it ain't no piece of cake to get down.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Seems to me like a lot of presnap movement upfront can really screw up our blocking assignments. It also illustrates why very few true frosh see the field, it ain't no piece of cake to get down.

Yeah, pre-snap movement can be confusing. But it also comes with costs - as you're shifting defenses and moving around, you're susceptible to quick plays. Until you've actually completed the pre-snap defensive shift, you're not in an optimal position for your defensive assignment. This is one reason we do a lot of basic dives and rocket tosses against over-active defenses.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff

Great. Clears up a good amount of stuff for me. Thanks

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Great. Clears up a good amount of stuff for me. Thanks
Me too. Thanks.

This also shows that "knowing how to count to three" is not, perhaps, as easy as Coach lets on. It takes awhile and game experience to get this stuff straight. And, NB, to do this right every OL and play-side RB has to be on the same count. That almost demands experience playing with the same people. Hence, the way the O gets better as the season goes on.