More of this please!!!!

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Braun still needs to get the inside backer to the ground, and Marshall could stand to do likewise, but the right read and good blocking on the edge works wonders.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Braun still needs to get the inside backer to the ground, and Marshall could stand to do likewise, but the right read and good blocking on the edge works wonders.

Braun got a hat on him enough so the defender couldn't make the play. And, if I remember this play correctly, he bounced up and sprinted 20 yards downfield looking for someone else to hit.

/

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only lineman that made a block worth a damn was Will. Freddie knocked his guy down, but that's because Mills hit him in the back, pushing him into his man. I wouldn't call this good blocking. It was enough, because our speed guys got to the edge, but it's not good blocking, just look at the wiffs.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The only lineman that made a block worth a damn was Will. Freddie knocked his guy down, but that's because Mills hit him in the back, pushing him into his man. I wouldn't call this good blocking. It was enough, because our speed guys got to the edge, but it's not good blocking, just look at the wiffs.
I agree, we need to get better than this, it seems to me we wiff so much with our blocks it's like the guys drop their head to cut the player and the guys just step right around, we need to get better with keeping our heads up and body control, I just want to see them make solid contact. What happens when we do "just enough" is the defender is able to get up and make a tackle on a cut back from our RB's if we get them on the ground better or drive them to the ground then they don't make those tackles and they turn from 10 and 15 yard runs to 20 plus and long TD's. Idk who the right tackle was but he should put a hat on the defender more than that I would like to see if that defender was the one who made the tackle down field or not.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I want perfection too... But look at the direction of all the defenders. They are not going in the right direction and are falling over each other avoiding blocks. I'll take it.

Look closer, I think Freddie does all the work there, not the BBack.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
With the speed we have on the edge and the added speed of execution this year, sometime a "get in the way" block is just as effective as a "pancake." If your guy doesn't make the play or help someone else make the play, you've done your job.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
In Burden's defense, what he did was extremely difficult. He got a hit on the NT (since he didn't know whether Mills could carry or the ball would be pulled) and then moved to the end. Still, though, the inside blocking has got to get better. It's usually said that you want to take away the dive. However, if the blocking inside doesn't get better, teams will adjust and force the dive and take away the edge.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The million dollar question to me is what is different this year? We have had many instances where when JT gets to the edge, there is a manageable number of defenders to fake or block and we get a nice gain out of it. Last year we could hardly ever pull that off. Last year, over and over again, when we went wide, there were so many defenders out there you would swear they must be playing with 15 men. There would be at least two on the QB and two more taking the A back. There was no way to fake, block, or elude all the defenders in position to make the tackle.

From the view you get on TV, you really can't tell how so many defenders got there so fast. Are we running the wide play too slow? Are they reading a key that gives the play away? Mass whiffing on blocks? Failure to know who you are supposed to block leading to defenders running free? More defenders lined up in such a way they can play the outside better? More respect for the B back up the middle with Mills? Other than the above?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
They at least were all in the right spot. Willis made a good block the Vandy player made a good move to get off but he got enough of him. A better defense would’ve stuffed that play based on Marshall’s blocking though. Everyone else did their job and he wiffed badly.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The million dollar question to me is what is different this year? We have had many instances where when JT gets to the edge, there is a manageable number of defenders to fake or block and we get a nice gain out of it. Last year we could hardly ever pull that off. Last year, over and over again, when we went wide, there were so many defenders out there you would swear they must be playing with 15 men. There would be at least two on the QB and two more taking the A back. There was no way to fake, block, or elude all the defenders in position to make the tackle.

From the view you get on TV, you really can't tell how so many defenders got there so fast. Are we running the wide play too slow? Are they reading a key that gives the play away? Mass whiffing on blocks? Failure to know who you are supposed to block leading to defenders running free? More defenders lined up in such a way they can play the outside better? More respect for the B back up the middle with Mills? Other than the above?
Last year, defenses didn't respect the dive or the pass or the counter. Once they suspected play direction, it was student body that way. Also, we were very poor at a lot of things on offense. Just knowing where to go and who to block was missing on many plays by many players. Even if they knew their assignment, we were very poor at execution, especially second level and edge blocks. To pile on even more, we were slow. We were less fast of foot, but we were also slow at running the O. JT went into a funk because he tried to do everything himself. Is that enough for ya?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

We didn't get to the second level very good with our block, and guys were blocking the wrong guys. There was a lot going on last year that caused those things to happen.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Honest question: why didn't the right tackle (Andrew Marshall, #50) block the incoming safety instead of the linebacker, and had been able to leave the AB (Isiah Willis, #3) able to block the defender that JT met in the open field? By that I mean, the RT and AB blocked these guys (represented by the black line), but why didn't they block these other guys (represented by the red line)?
389d10cdab2c4583a1a5f5039d3072ad.png

If they had blocked the guys represented by the red lines, wouldn't there have been a lane for JT to run through, and perhaps pitch it to the AB that went in motion once they got past the line of scrimmage for perhaps an even greater gain (if JT even encountered anyone at that point)? Again, it would have looked like this when JT got to the line of scrimmage:
044f44ef10f448bc9811b47d801cbf37.png

This is a serious question. I don't really know what is supposed to happen in this situation, but it just seemed odd to me and I wanted to make sense of it, if anyone can clear up for me why they wouldn't do this. Thanks

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I would think it has something to do with the angle of the defender. The guy left unblocked doesn’t have an angle to stop both the pitch and the QB. There is no way he can twist his hips quick enough to stop the pitch if he committed to the QB and if he committed to the pitch, barring Marshall makes his block, JT would’ve been gone for a TD. If they block according to the red lines, A) the LB Willis would block can easily hop left and force the play inside and B) the unblocked LB would have a straight line to both the QB and the pitch.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
I would think it has something to do with the angle of the defender. The guy left unblocked doesn’t have an angle to stop both the pitch and the QB. There is no way he can twist his hips quick enough to stop the pitch if he committed to the QB and if he committed to the pitch, barring Marshall makes his block, JT would’ve been gone for a TD. If they block according to the red lines, A) the LB Willis would block can easily hop left and force the play inside and B) the unblocked LB would have a straight line to both the QB and the pitch.
That's what I initially thought, except looking at it more closely if the unblocked defender committed to the pitch, there would have been a lane for JT but the safety that Willis was blocking shed him very quickly and would have gotten JT as he passed by for what looks like would have been a 2-yard gain. If they blocked according to the red lines, yes he can hop left and force the play inside, but the unblocked LB would have had a terrible angle to JT who is also significantly faster, and he wouldn't have even come close to making a play on JT before he zoomed by him on JT's way to the endzone

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This is a serious question. I don't really know what is supposed to happen in this situation, but it just seemed odd to me and I wanted to make sense of it, if anyone can clear up for me why they wouldn't do this. Thanks
Looks like the guy you wanted the AB to block was the pitch key. I don't know the result of this play, but it looks like the pitch is there for huge yards.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just to be clear about my perspective...I absolutely believe that in our system, "slowing them down" if often all that we need. I was not criticizing the results, I was only commenting that the blocking wasn't that good. Was it effective, absolutely, and in the end that's all that matters. I'm not a OLine guy (played DB) so I don't understand all the techniques, so I'm not casting stones.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Honest question: why didn't the right tackle (Andrew Marshall, #50) block the incoming safety instead of the linebacker, and had been able to leave the AB (Isiah Willis, #3) able to block the defender that JT met in the open field? By that I mean, the RT and AB blocked these guys (represented by the black line), but why didn't they block these other guys (represented by the red line)?
389d10cdab2c4583a1a5f5039d3072ad.png

If they had blocked the guys represented by the red lines, wouldn't there have been a lane for JT to run through, and perhaps pitch it to the AB that went in motion once they got past the line of scrimmage for perhaps an even greater gain (if JT even encountered anyone at that point)? Again, it would have looked like this when JT got to the line of scrimmage:
044f44ef10f448bc9811b47d801cbf37.png

It's because the playside A-Back can count to 3. I think it's Isaiah Willis (#3), but the vid's a bit blurry.

Go to the first frame of the video and pause it.

I'll spare you the details, but when you hear coach talk about, "we need to pitch off #2" or, "we couldn't get #3 blocked" he's referring to the option count. In this case, the playside Defensive End is #1, the dive key. This is who Justin options during the mesh. #2 is the player stacked behind or outside of him, the guy who is blocked by your red stick figure. This is the pitch key, so he is specifically UNBLOCKED by Isaiah. #3 is the alley player; you can't see him at the beginning of the video, but you'll see him sneak into the frame after the play starts rolling. This is who Isaiah blocks, and not #2. Before the play starts everyone needs to figure out who #1, #2, and #3 are. On a triple option play like this one, we read #1 for the dive (unblocked), read #2 for the pitch (unblocked), and block #3 (the alley player). That's why the guys block who they do, and don't block who they shouldn't.

If Isaiah had blocked #2 as depicted by your red stick figure, yes, the whole play would've broken down, which is why Coach said after game 1, "Our guys can't count to 3."

When it works ... it's a thing of beauty.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
With the speed we have on the edge and the added speed of execution this year, sometime a "get in the way" block is just as effective as a "pancake." If your guy doesn't make the play or help someone else make the play, you've done your job.

On the play to start the game, Stewart got a "get in the way block" on someone. Barely touched his man, but it was enough to keep him out of the play and spring the touchdown.