Monday practice update

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
That because the qbs are not good. Don't confuse on field the fact the qb was not able to exploit clear gaps with its working. At some point it won't. Do you think in film session the coaches go "hey Kayaa missed this and this ans this and we got away with it so it must be working?" Lol. No way. We have severe gaps that will catch up to us if not remedied when we play better qbs and teams.

Secondly our offense was our d. Not our d. Miami avg 8 yards a play which is horrid. If they had a tad better qb we have serious issues in that game. To a degree thank god for our O. Look i am happy we are 5-0 as anyone. But by golly the d has glaring issues we have been able to mask. Mark it down. IF we keep giving field side 15-20 yard cushions some team will light m up. I am not saying jam every down. I am saying a 25 yard cushion is a scheme I have never seen run.

I see your point, but that same scheme got us a game-sealing INT against VT when we baited the QB into thinking we were giving a ton of space and then DJ White jumped in for the pick. I'm more worried about our DB's ability to tackle in space than anything. If we can prevent 6-8 yard passes from becoming 15-20 chunks, I'm okay with what we're doing, because I don't think we have the pass rush to really challenge people that close to the LOS.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I see your point, but that same scheme got us a game-sealing INT against VT when we baited the QB into thinking we were giving a ton of space and then DJ White jumped in for the pick. I'm more worried about our DB's ability to tackle in space than anything. If we can prevent 6-8 yard passes from becoming 15-20 chunks, I'm okay with what we're doing, because I don't think we have the pass rush to really challenge people that close to the LOS.

No it was not the same scheme. Dj vs vt was playing a 5 yard cushion. Hence why he was able to bait the under and push back. If he was playing a 15 yard bail cushion like we saw vs Miami or Milton regularly is asked to do then there is no int there. If you play on the line as a db your scheme will require heavy pressure....blitzing. We can do that we just don't much.

Bottom line is we played 10-25 yards off on miltons side. On the 12 yard line he was 12 yards off on the goaline! Please explain how you get beat deep there and what is the reason? If that WR runs a 5-6 yard quick slant or in route Milton now has to tackle a full speed WR in space running up to him. NO WAY. he misses that tackle every time. But again. The dumb qb from Miami missed it totally. That should have been a td. To me I don't get it.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
I know it wasn't the same play, I'm just pointing out that if QB's get comfortable with having a lot of space underneath, you can jump those routes and force turnovers. As we've seen recently, we are far more successful at forcing turnovers than we are at straight up stopping an opponent, so it makes sense to me. Like I said before, though, if our DB's don't make those tackles then it all falls apart.

I don't get the huge goal line cushions, though. Can't think of any explanations other than he isn't actually supposed to be that far off or we planned to have a LB or nickel DB jump underneath.

Along those same lines, Miami fans around me were furious that their safeties were dropped deep when they were in redzone D, presumably preventing us from throwing over the top rather than coming up the LOS in run support. I don't understand some of these decisions.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
No it was not the same scheme. Dj vs vt was playing a 5 yard cushion. Hence why he was able to bait the under and push back. If he was playing a 15 yard bail cushion like we saw vs Miami or Milton regularly is asked to do then there is no int there. If you play on the line as a db your scheme will require heavy pressure....blitzing. We can do that we just don't much.

Bottom line is we played 10-25 yards off on miltons side. On the 12 yard line he was 12 yards off on the goaline! Please explain how you get beat deep there and what is the reason? If that WR runs a 5-6 yard quick slant or in route Milton now has to tackle a full speed WR in space running up to him. NO WAY. he misses that tackle every time. But again. The dumb qb from Miami missed it totally. That should have been a td. To me I don't get it.
Im totally with you on the cushions. I think the only explanation is that our safeties have played so horrible up to that point that... We have no other choice. Plus Miamis WR are VERY fast. Im of the belief that we need to blitz a little more often on these young inexperienced QBs. Duke is the only team we play with a seasoned QB starting. Maybe with improved safety play, Roof will be able to afford closer DB coverage and blitzes.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow

I remember thinking the same thing about Milton. PJ mentioned on the radio show yesterday about some bad checks on the D. Maybe this was one of those situations.

thwgjacket

Ever stop to consider that we're taking the QB's we've played propensity to make mistakes into account with our scheme? I think our game plan has been to keep everything in front and trust that the opposing QB will make mistakes. Until we play a good QB we won't know if our scheme changes. I've gathered from your postings that you're upset we keep doing the same things with our DB's. Well we've played 5 QB's who all have the same issue, turnovers. Let's wait until we face a good QB before we start panicking about the DB scheme. Boone seems to be better and Crowder is more of a possession guy so I think we'll press more this week.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ever stop to consider that we're taking the QB's we've played propensity to make mistakes into account with our scheme? I think our game plan has been to keep everything in front and trust that the opposing QB will make mistakes. Until we play a good QB we won't know if our scheme changes. I've gathered from your postings that you're upset we keep doing the same things with our DB's. Well we've played 5 QB's who all have the same issue, turnovers. Let's wait until we face a good QB before we start panicking about the DB scheme. Boone seems to be better and Crowder is more of a possession guy so I think we'll press more this week.
I considered it and quickly rejected it based on 5 games of tendencies in calls......we like to play off. I just think its something this fan will need to get used to.

And when i say off i mean 15 yards off. Not 5. Not 8. I am good with 5 and 8. Not 15 with a 20 drop. Lol.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I considered it and quickly rejected it based on 5 games of tendencies in calls......we like to play off. I just think its something this fan will need to get used to.

And when i say off i mean 15 yards off. Not 5. Not 8. I am good with 5 and 8. Not 15 with a 20 drop. Lol.
I think you’re exaggerating on the 15 yards there. Most of the time they were 8-10 yards back so we don’t get beat deep on the read option. Our gameplan came from straight from the film. If you watch Miami, you’ll notice about 90% of the times they pass, it comes off of a playaction. Miami showed no reason for us not to play back because they don’t do any straight drop back passing. They ran a couple of jailbreak screens and you’ll notice Demond usually does an excellent job forcing the WR inside to prevent a big gain. Our secondary wasn’t really getting beat outside of a misassignment by Lynn on one play and a Demond getting burned on the double move for their first touchdown.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
That because the qbs are not good. Don't confuse on field the fact the qb was not able to exploit clear gaps with its working. At some point it won't. Do you think in film session the coaches go "hey Kayaa missed this and this ans this and we got away with it so it must be working?" Lol. No way. We have severe gaps that will catch up to us if not remedied when we play better qbs and teams.

Secondly our offense was our d. Not our d. Miami avg 8 yards a play which is horrid. If they had a tad better qb we have serious issues in that game. To a degree thank god for our O. Look i am happy we are 5-0 as anyone. But by golly the d has glaring issues we have been able to mask. Mark it down. IF we keep giving field side 15-20 yard cushions some team will light m up. I am not saying jam every down. I am saying a 25 yard cushion is a scheme I have never seen run.

Not only that but we had but we had alignment mistakes in the game.Twice I saw 3 uM WRs and we only really had 2 in coverage with a LB "sort of" leaning that way until the last moment.. Another time 2 WRs and 2 in coverage but Duke was coming in the cleaned out area supposedly covered by an LB! Talk about a mismatch.
We play DEF just good enough to cause some problems for a weak OFF team and/or one with a poor/young QB.I hope that dook hasn't noticed this in their offwk-lol

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
The Duke people think Tech is weak. They think Tech is looking forward. They think they kill us.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Travis may not be the most talented but he does what he is supposed to do. He doesn't get sucked in. He plays the edge very well when he is asked to. Against Miami he turned in a reverse which would have been a big play perfectly.
Not picking on Travis, but he DID over pursue early on and allowed DJ to bpunce out side and make some big yards in the first quarter. At least that's what I saw from the stands.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you’re exaggerating on the 15 yards there. Most of the time they were 8-10 yards back so we don’t get beat deep on the read option. Our gameplan came from straight from the film. If you watch Miami, you’ll notice about 90% of the times they pass, it comes off of a playaction. Miami showed no reason for us not to play back because they don’t do any straight drop back passing. They ran a couple of jailbreak screens and you’ll notice Demond usually does an excellent job forcing the WR inside to prevent a big gain. Our secondary wasn’t really getting beat outside of a misassignment by Lynn on one play and a Demond getting burned on the double move for their first touchdown.

On the particular play in question, he absolutely isn't exaggerating.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I dunno Watson is borderline great right now to me.

Not many QBs in the nation are playing better than him right now. He's a true freshman...scary talent. Very humble guy as well.

Gonna be great battles between him and JT over the next few years.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone who watched the game and didnt immediately think, "Kyle Travis is a really hard working kid, but he's not a player who would start on many if any other FBS programs." Is not being very objective. He gives everything he has but he's outmatched out there. I'm grateful we have someone willing and able to take on the challenge but losing so many D Linemen really hurt us.

Regarding the cushion I think we will see more press coverage this week at leastuntil we are burnt by it.

Regarding Lambert and his being a good QB...he's thrown about as many picks as Brewer at VPI. The difference is UVA's D has created a lot of turnovers.

I still think we match up well with UVA