Monday practice update

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Miami's pride was hurt.
Does that count?
Miami%20Georgia%20Tech%20Football

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric, he mentioned Chamberlain is hurt. Any other injuries to report?

Thomas O'Reily wasn't dressed for last game...but if CPJ doesn't address the injury situation publicly then I will hold off until he does.

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
Did Travis pass Chungong on the depth chart heading into the game? I believe I remember seeing Chungong later but Travis was in there for a while in the beginning.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
Travis may not be the most talented but he does what he is supposed to do. He doesn't get sucked in. He plays the edge very well when he is asked to. Against Miami he turned in a reverse which would have been a big play perfectly.

Yeah, but that was after he over-pursued DJ and allowed a back cut for a TD run. The positive is that he learned and adjusted quickly.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but that was after he over-pursued DJ and allowed a back cut for a TD run. The positive is that he learned and adjusted quickly.

Exactly. Travis did not set his edge good the first half. The second half he did it much better. Both our DE are undersized and struggle right now in the run game with consistency. Vs power teams like uga I will be interested to see if they slide gotsis outside on certain downs and bring in gamble.

I still think we are playing way too off the WR. Miami had the ball at the 12. Milton was playing the snap at the goal line. Get that? He was playing 12 yards off the WR at the goal line. You can't get beat deep. I just don't get it.

On the Johnson interception, Milton was 25 yards off the receiver on the boundary. If he just looked he had a wide open receiver that would have gone for at least 15 yards. Point is a seasoned qb doesn't miss this. Wtf Milton was off his guy 25 yards absolutely blows me away. There is no D scheme I know of that does this other than Hail Mary D.

I still have great scheme concerns on d. I fear its a matter of time before this is really exploited. Not sure that is vs Duke. But UNC at UNC where they can start to save their season vs tech at home at night......and they pass it a ton. It's all about matchups

Declinometer

Banned
I really am going to have to disagree about Travis not setting the edge in the first half. I saw on only one play did Johnson get around him and that was when Johnson was hemmed in and reversed field. Johnson just made a play as he can do because of his exceptional speed.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
I still have great scheme concerns on d. I fear its a matter of time before this is really exploited. Not sure that is vs Duke. But UNC at UNC where they can start to save their season vs tech at home at night......and they pass it a ton. It's all about matchups

Nobody has made us pay for that so far this season - not even close. In fact, the only team that did put up a lot of points on us (Georgia Southern) mostly did it by beating us deep when our DB's failed to make a play on the ball. As much as I'd love to see a more aggressive style, what we're doing is unquestionably working so far.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I really am going to have to disagree about Travis not setting the edge in the first half. I saw on only one play did Johnson get around him and that was when Johnson was hemmed in and reversed field. Johnson just made a play as he can do because of his exceptional speed.

I will be preparing multiple snapshots of d issues and will show this. That play Johnson reversed the field HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH NOT SETTING THE PROPER EDGE. That play was a stretch play we blew up and Travis was totally unblocked. You can't set an edge being unblocked you can stay in you lane but, He was the unblocked backside DE and he did exactly what you are taught. Scrape the line and clean up. He was in the exact position he needed to be in he just got beat by a superior athlete. That happens. But had absolutely nothing to do with establishing an edge and a backside end is taught to pinch that line in a stretch if you don't see a WR doing a reverse motion. You hold your lane wait a brief second then scrape. The whole concept of the outside zone or stretch is to leave this backside DE unblocked because he won't have the speed to catch your RB to the play side. Travis played it perfect. This is the classic result on the field makes people believe Travis screwed up. He didn't. Got to know what you are seeing first.

So although you disagree I will prepare plays of our DE including Travis struggling to set an edge then we can debate. Give me a bit of time this takes a while to do.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Nobody has made us pay for that so far this season - not even close. In fact, the only team that did put up a lot of points on us (Georgia Southern) mostly did it by beating us deep when our DB's failed to make a play on the ball. As much as I'd love to see a more aggressive style, what we're doing is unquestionably working so far.

That because the qbs are not good. Don't confuse on field the fact the qb was not able to exploit clear gaps with its working. At some point it won't. Do you think in film session the coaches go "hey Kayaa missed this and this ans this and we got away with it so it must be working?" Lol. No way. We have severe gaps that will catch up to us if not remedied when we play better qbs and teams.

Secondly our offense was our d. Not our d. Miami avg 8 yards a play which is horrid. If they had a tad better qb we have serious issues in that game. To a degree thank god for our O. Look i am happy we are 5-0 as anyone. But by golly the d has glaring issues we have been able to mask. Mark it down. IF we keep giving field side 15-20 yard cushions some team will light m up. I am not saying jam every down. I am saying a 25 yard cushion is a scheme I have never seen run.