Missouri under investigation? Post season ban?

slugboy

Staff member
In the UNC case, the school had classes that were jokes and should have lost accreditation. None of the student athletes in those classes were accused of conduct that could have gotten them expelled from school. The accreditation organization should have removed accreditation from the entire university for a penalty time, and then reinstated only after the school proved that checks were in place so that the situation could not happen again. 30,000 students finding out that their coursework might not lead to a recognized degree would have a huge impact, well beyond losing athletic scholarships and post-season eligibility.

In the Mizzou case, all of the students involved should have been expelled from school for violating school rules. I seem remember a few GT students who were caught cheating and I only remember one who was in school after being caught.

Actual academic cheating is easy to verify. Whether an individual class or degree at an academic institution is academically valid is well beyond the authority and the expertise of the NCAA. The accreditation organizations have that expertise. In the UNC case, they failed miserably at enforcing standards.

The reason that didn't happen is that UNC is "too big to fail". East Carolina or UNLV would have gotten dis-accredited. And it's not the NCAA or sports--it's that the capstone state university of that reputation for that many students is nigh-invulnerable from an accreditation point of view.

Deleted member 2897

I also can't give up the opportunity to point out that authorities at Baylor(associated with the very conservative Southern Baptist Convention) covered up for athletes guilty of violent sexual assault and tried to shield an athlete who was a murderer. I grew up in a Southern Baptist church. The crimes, and the attempts to cover them up go against everything that I was taught at church.

Not to derail the thread, but the old Athletic Director from Baylor at that time and freaking Hugh Freeze from Ole Miss were hired to be Athletic Director and Football Coach at LIBERTY UNIVERSITY (a real actual Christian school). We live in an alternate universe.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Even if everything you stated is true, SACS should have removed accreditation. If everything that @bwelbo says is in fact true:

Then SACS should have more than definitely removed accreditation from the entire university. SACS makes good teachers nervous when they are assessing a school. The teachers try to make sure that they follow every written procedure, cross every t, and dot every i. If the university administration and legal department constructed and maintained invalid classes and degrees for one year, much less decades, then every degree at the entire school should have been declared invalid.

I think people need to understand that the NCAA is not an omnipotent organization with authority over schools. The NCAA solely and simply regulates amateur athletics at colleges and universities. Imagine what would happen if SACS announced that every GT degree conferred in the last 50 years was now declared invalid. Imagine what would happen even if they just declared that any degree conferred from today until re-accredited was invalid. At least in my opinion, such thoughts make sports entertainment seem extremely unimportant.
I deal with SACS accountability for my department every year. Folks may not know this, but they threatened Tech with probation about five years ago—not for any bogus courses or sham academic programs, but for non-compliance in our reporting process. That’s right—we weren’t doing a good enough job documenting our academic review processes to their auditors. That’s it. Here it is five years later, and I’m still jumping through hoops to appease SACS. Every. Single. Spring. :mad::mad::mad:

Meanwhile, what did (u)NC get for letting a non-academic staff member/sports-booster create fake courses and assign grades in them, over more than a decade? Probation...for barely one academic year (June 2015-June 2016)...after SACS had found them non-compliant in multiple areas (including more than just the AFAM program) going back as far as 2012. Decade-plus of violations, three years of documented non-compliance, one year of probation..and then one fluffy report to SACS gets them totally off the hook. Makes me wonder if AFAM secretary who retired from (u)NC was hired as a “secretary” for SACS.