Missouri football players to boycott

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Ignored this story yesterday, read all I could find on it this am. The students are waiting for some magic genie to come wave a wand and make very thing OK.
If it was that easy we would not have racism anywhere, but we do. It appears the admin was slow to act, but they did act, but then kept it close and did not publicize their moves.
Now many have crawled out on a limb and are sawing that limb off. The University is starving for leadership and none has appeared to date. If everyone says "my way or the highway" nothing gets done.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ignored this story yesterday, read all I could find on it this am. The students are waiting for some magic genie to come wave a wand and make very thing OK.
If it was that easy we would not have racism anywhere, but we do. It appears the admin was slow to act, but they did act, but then kept it close and did not publicize their moves.
Now many have crawled out on a limb and are sawing that limb off. The University is starving for leadership and none has appeared to date. If everyone says "my way or the highway" nothing gets done.

The bolded basically demonstrates the reason they're protesting, no?

Also, he gone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ment-calls-for-university-presidents-removal/

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
His speech during his resignation was the correct thing to say. I hope tey can get an actual dialogue going and make the school a safe haven for learning and development.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not quite sure where you've come down on this, and I can agree that the dogmatic "or else" gene that has clogged our political system is bad for the entire country, football or otherwise. But your contention that the administration did act, but in secret, just makes no sense to me. What in the world would be the point? The protest was real, and outside, and they made changes secretly inside? Nah. I read what the president said, yadda yadda yadda, and have seen enough of CYA to know he was hunkering down big time. April. Really? We will change in April? Isn't this just November? In short, it will all disappear by then. His resignation was good, and well handled by him. He went out saying the things he should have been saying with the very first incident of the "n" word scrawled on U of Mo walls. You're right: there was no leadership because the guy was a political "business" appointee with no academic knowledge or experience, and never made any effort to get any. Ignoring protesting students is bad form and even a bidnessman knows that. I would hope that everybody on the board, with roots at any university or college, would protest mightily if such conduct went on there. I am not a GT grad, a sidewalk fan for a long time, but I cannot imagine such conduct being tolerated at the Institute, by administration, faculty or students. And if I were a U of Mo football fan, today I would be very proud of those players and coaches for doing the right thing that the adults in the room refused to do.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Like I posted yesterday, there were a bunch of groups against the President and one of his principal jobs is to forge consensus and keep this type of thing from becoming a national issue. He is paid the big bucks and failed. Next up.

I agree there is no magic genie. Racism has been around since Homo Sapiens probably took out Neanderthal. Since then it's been internecine racism. I read an interesting book about a history of the Americas. The native Americans (Incas, our Indians and others) were all largely wiped out by Western disease and bullets. Much more so in the southern hemisphere than northern. Slavery is what made the economies of all this hemisphere's countries except a few, like Canada. So racism has been around and is being lessened largely when economic conditions improve. But it will take time. So yup, I agree, no magic genie.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Like I posted yesterday, there were a bunch of groups against the President and one of his principal jobs is to forge consensus and keep this type of thing from becoming a national issue. He is paid the big bucks and failed. Next up.

I agree there is no magic genie. Racism has been around since Homo Sapiens probably took out Neanderthal. Since then it's been internecine racism. I read an interesting book about a history of the Americas. The native Americans (Incas, our Indians and others) were all largely wiped out by Western disease and bullets. Much more so in the southern hemisphere than northern. Slavery is what made the economies of all this hemisphere's countries except a few, like Canada. So racism has been around and is being lessened largely when economic conditions improve. But it will take time. So yup, I agree, no magic genie.

Slavery has been around for...probably as long as humans have been around. Slaves were well known spoils of warfare in the "ancient times" of Egyptian, Greek, and Roman Empires. Africa had a huge slave trade of blacks enslaving blacks (which is why when whites showed up offshore wanting slaves, in most places the response was "sure, have some of our slaves"). Slavery and racism are not synonymous, but have certainly become closely related in our culture.

It is frustrating because such pendulums seldom find the middle and balance, they usually swing too far one way and then too far the other way. I have no idea if this guy deserved to be run out of town on a rail (you can certainly make the argument his position is political and he allowed too much conflict to arise), but I also feel at times it is impossible these days to speak "truth to power" when the power is the media/race junta.

Perhaps this is a just result, I don't know and don't care to check into it myself enough to judge. But there have been plenty recently that have gone too far the other way (Virginia rape case, Duke lacrosse team, riots after fact findings of innocence in Ferguson police officer case, Baltimore riots, etc). The trendy dialogue that cops are killing blacks is bunk in all but a precious few cases, and in those cases I think all people unite on wanting to find the truth and justice. I fear that overall racial relations and mutual respect have declined in the past few years. I wonder why.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And now the Chancellor has quit too. Good riddance, say I. No major post-secondary institution needs fools running it. And, make no mistake, these guys were fools.

As to the post above: all it takes is a "precious few cases" when the uniformed officers who are supposed to be protecting us turn out to be cold blooded murderers. This is sort of like the My Lai massacre or Abu Ghraib: all it takes is one to know that general discipline within the forces involved has collapsed and that major steps to restore it need to be made. I also fail to see why cold blooded murder shouldn't lead to problems in "overall race relations and mutual respect". Indeed, unless US minorities have been cowed by official violence, that is exactly what I would expect. That the font above seems to think this is all overblown is symptomatic of what led to the "resignations" (they were fired, folks) at UM.

Milwaukee

Banned
I still haven't seen any thing that the president did, or did not do, to give a group of students a reason to call for him to resign. Did anyone here read the list of demands this group listed? Google it, it's very interesting. They mention something about his white privilege etc etc. What am I missing here? How in the world are people in favor of this bs?

"His driver bumped into people at a protest when they surrounded his car" hmmm, he should've just sat there and let a mob just scream at him I guess.

"Some white students are using the n word on campus" hmmm, very unfortunate and ignorant, but that's the president's fault how again?

They're even referencing the Ferguson incident, black lives matter, and grouping them together with this.

That's what it's come to nowadays I guess.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Slavery has been around for...probably as long as humans have been around. Slaves were well known spoils of warfare in the "ancient times" of Egyptian, Greek, and Roman Empires. Africa had a huge slave trade of blacks enslaving blacks (which is why when whites showed up offshore wanting slaves, in most places the response was "sure, have some of our slaves"). Slavery and racism are not synonymous, but have certainly become closely related in our culture.

It is frustrating because such pendulums seldom find the middle and balance, they usually swing too far one way and then too far the other way. I have no idea if this guy deserved to be run out of town on a rail (you can certainly make the argument his position is political and he allowed too much conflict to arise), but I also feel at times it is impossible these days to speak "truth to power" when the power is the media/race junta.

Perhaps this is a just result, I don't know and don't care to check into it myself enough to judge. But there have been plenty recently that have gone too far the other way (Virginia rape case, Duke lacrosse team, riots after fact findings of innocence in Ferguson police officer case, Baltimore riots, etc). The trendy dialogue that cops are killing blacks is bunk in all but a precious few cases, and in those cases I think all people unite on wanting to find the truth and justice. I fear that overall racial relations and mutual respect have declined in the past few years. I wonder why.
This is what's known as bunkum.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, now there's an intelligent fact based response...LOL
First, this is not the forum for that post. Second, as Patrick Moynihan once observed, one is entitled to their own opinion. One is not entitled to his own set of facts. That post is laden with false flags, almost every one already disproved. And, really, equating a student protest -- you know, that dratted Constitutional thing about peaceable assembly, petition for redress of grievances, and others too numerous to mention to the president being "run out of town on a rail" -- what next, he was lynched?-- racism is okay because, gee, we've always had that, nothing new, move on, and actually disputing hundreds, not dozens, of instances of cops shooting and killing black people, the latest a 5-year-old strapped in a car seat while his father had his hands raised in surrender (shot five times by the bye)? And how in the world did slavery come up? There is your response. You can look it up, As I said, bunkum. Or if you prefer, balderdash.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I still haven't seen any thing that the president did, or did not do, to give a group of students a reason to call for him to resign. Did anyone here read the list of demands this group listed? Google it, it's very interesting. They mention something about his white privilege etc etc. What am I missing here? How in the world are people in favor of this bs?

"His driver bumped into people at a protest when they surrounded his car" hmmm, he should've just sat there and let a mob just scream at him I guess.

"Some white students are using the n word on campus" hmmm, very unfortunate and ignorant, but that's the president's fault how again?

They're even referencing the Ferguson incident, black lives matter, and grouping them together with this.

That's what it's come to nowadays I guess.
It's way more of what the President did NOT do. If you haven't go look at the timeline the UM student newspaper has put together (I posted it earlier in the thread) to get an idea of what is happening at the campus and remember those are just the reportable things.

As for complaining about lumping ferguson/black lives matter into it please remember this is the University of Missouri and is only about 1.5 hours away from Ferguson. Those events are definitely connected to the UM student body and what is happening.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's way more of what the President did NOT do. If you haven't go look at the timeline the UM student newspaper has put together (I posted it earlier in the thread) to get an idea of what is happening at the campus and remember those are just the reportable things.

As for complaining about lumping ferguson/black lives matter into it please remember this is the University of Missouri and is only about 1.5 hours away from Ferguson. Those events are definitely connected to the UM student body and what is happening.

I read that link, and as far as I could tell there were three isolated incidents of racism and no evidence of institutional racism. Also, it seems that what Wolfe failed to do was to capitulate to the demands of a group who interfered with his car during the homecoming parade. I'm wondering what you suspect the unreportable things might include because your link suggests a man lost his job and career over not much. I would be sympathetic if the university president had been complicit in maintaining institutional and systemic racism, but I don't see any evidence that this is the case here.

Here's an interesting opinion piece on the Black Lives Matter movement which has similarities to what's happened here.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...nds-ferguson-protests-hopes-to-spur/?page=all

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Why the last few days at Mizzou have college administrators everywhere scared

http://www.sunherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article44046114.html#fmp
Good get but it sounds a bit overwrought to me. Not to minimize what just happened, but I am not sure it can be extrapolated into the future when the goals will be less altruistic and more selfish: pay for play and such. A football team in most universities, including the factories, would in my opinion find itself cut off from any support from the student body at large who have their own problems just making tuition and such in an increasingly hostile public environment -- today's pols just don't care much about education and aren't going to fund it -- and as much as they like sports, have bigger fish to fry. Regardless it is going to be interesting for sure. (And I am not sure Pinkett acted from unselfish motives in backing the strike. Had he opposed it he would have had no football team to coach.)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why the last few days at Mizzou have college administrators everywhere scared

http://www.sunherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article44046114.html#fmp

Great link:
Administrators are "scared" because "But underneath all of that is a layer of fear, which is an awkward look for those used to power."

".....The structure of college sports has by definition kept the power away from athletes, with few exceptions. Boycotts have been more whispers and rumors. ...."

"...... The rules are changing. The huge money generated by college sports has long made this day inevitable. The winners will be the ones who best manage it."

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
First, this is not the forum for that post. Second, as Patrick Moynihan once observed, one is entitled to their own opinion. One is not entitled to his own set of facts. That post is laden with false flags, almost every one already disproved. And, really, equating a student protest -- you know, that dratted Constitutional thing about peaceable assembly, petition for redress of grievances, and others too numerous to mention to the president being "run out of town on a rail" -- what next, he was lynched?-- racism is okay because, gee, we've always had that, nothing new, move on, and actually disputing hundreds, not dozens, of instances of cops shooting and killing black people, the latest a 5-year-old strapped in a car seat while his father had his hands raised in surrender (shot five times by the bye)? And how in the world did slavery come up? There is your response. You can look it up, As I said, bunkum. Or if you prefer, balderdash.

LOL. Well, since "this is not the forum for that post" I won't respond in kind. I will point out that I was quoting a post that referred to slavery, which is why I referred to it in my response. (Reading Comprehension is recommended.) As far as the rest is concerned, I don't think you disputed a single fact I listed, just spouted off.....

Look, I'm not trying to begin a flame war or hate-filled exchange. I think in fact that it is extremely important that all people speak (and listen) civilly to one another. I don't dispute a right to protest (although I will note that there have been many, and increasing numbers of cases when conservative speakers were disinvited from speaking on college campuses because some group objected to their right to speak...something I am sure you abhor as much as I since we both agree with the right of free speech.)

My point was simply that there are cases (and Missouri may, OR MAY NOT be one) where there has been extreme over-reaction which has hurt people. And I think that's sad.

Last comment....as of Sept 1st of this year there have been a grand total of 71 unarmed people shot and killed by police in 2015 in the entire country. I don't doubt for a second that some of them were unwarranted, nor do I doubt that some of them were proper. There were 776 total people killed by police. Most of them were armed (or died by some other means such as being tasered). Both figures are very high when compared to other European countries, but there are also many other major societal issues that are different between the US and European countries. Just trying to put into perspective your comment about hundreds of black people being killed. (BTW, data from Mother Jones, not exactly a right wing site)

Edited to add-some of my comments are meant in jest, such as the one about Reading Comprehension, not in anger