Missouri football players to boycott

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
More than 30 football players at the University of Missouri will not participate in any practices or games until Missouri System president Tim Wolfe resigns or is terminated. Several black team members announced their decision to strike on social media Saturday night and Missouri's Legion of Black Collegians posted a statement on behalf of the team with a picture of players unified in support of the boycott.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...boycott-tim-wolfe-president-resigns/75399504/

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
More than 30 football players at the University of Missouri will not participate in any practices or games until Missouri System president Tim Wolfe resigns or is terminated. Several black team members announced their decision to strike on social media Saturday night and Missouri's Legion of Black Collegians posted a statement on behalf of the team with a picture of players unified in support of the boycott.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...boycott-tim-wolfe-president-resigns/75399504/
What surprises me is that D1 football players of any race have a social conscious and will go to the mat for it. They seem to be saying that they are willing to be used, but there is a limit.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I wish they would yank their scholarships, but I know they won't. They already have life on a silver platter playing in the SEC factory league. Keep politics out of sports, I get too much of it in real life.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I wish they would yank their scholarships, but I know they won't. They already have life on a silver platter playing in the SEC factory league. Keep politics out of sports, I get too much of it in real life.
If one were to yank 32 scholarships then one has created an SMU: the death penalty for its football program, probably a permanent penalty, because what black four or five-star would ever go to Missouri? Occam's Razor -- that the simplest solution is often the best -- does not apply here. In reading their list of grievances, I can certainly see their point. If their "solution" is an overreach, well, they are after all in college and that is what college students do. The college president had the chance to cut this off, and bobbled every situation. And he is the adult in the room.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Hmm, not that it would ever happen because of today's political correctness,s but wouldn't the university be within its rights to revoke their scholarships for failure to perform. if it so chose to do so?

Am sick beyond words about the political activism of today.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Hmm, not that it would ever happen because of today's political correctness,s but wouldn't the university be within its rights to revoke their scholarships for failure to perform. if it so chose to do so?

Not trying to be a smart arse here but sick of political activism? So people shouldn't support things they believe in? Things that are important to them? In line with there core values? Regardless of which side of the political spectrum you're on you have things that are important to you. To not be involved and passionate about those things is sad to me. This country has a long history of political activism, it's one of the things that makes us unique among other countries and I have encouraged this in my children. If we are silent and apathetic we get the government we deserved, just as we do know.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

Those guys need to calm down and know their place. If they truly wanted to be taken seriously they would use the channels already constructed to allow them to voice their opinions and then accept the fact when the higherups tell them their opinions are wrong. They are causing quite a scene nowadays and distracting everyone from the real important issues of our time.

Besides now my tea is way more expensive since they went and threw a bunch into the harbor!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Those guys need to calm down and know their place. If they truly wanted to be taken seriously they would use the channels already constructed to allow them to voice their opinions and then accept the fact when the higherups tell them their opinions are wrong. They are causing quite a scene nowadays and distracting everyone from the real important issues of our time.

Besides now my tea is way more expensive since they went and threw a bunch into the harbor!

@JacketFromUGA I do like the last part of your post.

However, who is to judge who's opinions are wrong? They need to calm down and know their place? Last time I checked these young men are citizens of of a country it which the constitution guarantees them the right to have a viewpoint and express the same. I am not taking a stand on the rightness or wrongness of their stance just their right for them to take a stance and let it be known. And yes, they also have to deal with the consequences but, again, that is their choice.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

"Know their place"? Omigod.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to be a smart arse here but sick of political activism? So people shouldn't support things they believe in? Things that are important to them? In line with there core values? Regardless of which side of the political spectrum you're on you have things that are important to you. To not be involved and passionate about those things is sad to me. This country has a long history of political activism, it's one of the things that makes us unique among other countries and I have encouraged this in my children. If we are silent and apathetic we get the government we deserved, just as we do know.
I really like this post. Beyond a "like" button. Like you, we have encouraged our kids to speak up, whether to their peers, in class, Sunday School, or at home. One cannot develop a keen mind unless it is their mind. Good on you.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
welp apparently my satire is not as on point as it once was. The whole post was to show complainants about the americans during the revolutionary war and how you sound like the british sympathizers did.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
welp apparently my satire is not as on point as it once was. The whole post was to show complainants about the americans during the revolutionary war and how you sound like the british sympathizers did.

:D Sorry about that, satire rarely translate well in written form. I felt your post didn't sound like what I've read from you!

LibertyTurns

Banned
God Bless these young men. I hope their principled protest garners an appropriate response.

Now some GT Man needs to put down their video game for a few moments & out the idiots who are spewing such trash on the internet. C'mon, if the Chinese can figure out Hillary has a private server & hack into it surely a GT Man possesses the ability to figure out who these people are & publicly shame them for their conduct. The server they used probably isn't hidden in someone's broom closet.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
God Bless these young men. I hope their principled protest garners an appropriate response.

Now some GT Man needs to put down their video game for a few moments & out the idiots who are spewing such trash on the internet. C'mon, if the Chinese can figure out Hillary has a private server & hack into it surely a GT Man possesses the ability to figure out who these people are & publicly shame them for their conduct. The server they used probably isn't hidden in someone's broom closet.

The Chinese are the best hackers in the world, the Iranians are a close 2nd :D

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Huh?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, this guy is an enormous fail. If I were the UM Board, I'd fire him for sheer incompetence.

No, no! What am I saying? No college president these days gets fired for something as outré as incompetence. What's necessary is that the UM system eases him out with a golden parachute the size of Ft. Knox, like the OSU did with their snowbird. No need to make him feel bad, you know, or to make the CEOs on his Board feel like they can't make a few honest mistakes.