Miscommunication???

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It is fine to have "quotes" from players (Mitchell quote) but talk is cheap.I can't get out of my head the FIRST play on the pitt game when they ran it for 7 yds off LT.Mitchell did not react quickly to the ball and close the gap.
The FIRST play and they proved that they could run on us even when we're not tired.So RUN TO BALL is easy to say....
It was definitely a bad play from him, and I have been hoping for more production from our LBers generally and him specifically. Still a fan of him, and hope he can start to make more of an impact in the second half of the season.

Jmonty71

Banned
Agreed. It can be sometimes hard to tell when you're playing a team like Clemson. They can make experienced defenses look silly.

My biggest positive takeaway was the first quarter play of the D. Before they got gassed from the O not sustaining drives, and before the Clemson O wore them down, they were pretty effective.
In the last 5-6 we went from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and then back to a 3-4. I cannot imagine we have the right players in the slots that are needed. I see the attack and desire there. I think we need a middle run stopping NG and 2 very quick OLBs as immediate needs. I think our DBs have the talent, just need to get some game experience. I at least feel that there is promise there.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's see, other than Malik Rivera, every defensive player on this team was recruited for a different system. Other than a handful of True Freshman, every defensive player on this team is getting used to a new method of play calling. I honestly don't know why you are shocked that there are miscommunications on D.

I kind of expected a rough year defensively, considering all the changes. What's been most encouraging is that so far, some of the mistakes early seem to be getting corrected. By the end of this year we will have a better idea of how effective this D can be. I expect this unit to keep improving game by game.
Could not agree more with all, especially the bold. My thing this year with the D was seeing improvement as the year goes on. Clemson was like giving the defense a cumulative final exam in week four.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This D needs a stud big, fast, strong, OLB. I think if we had an elite player / pass rusher for that one position alone we would see striking improvements across the board.

Those guya don’t exactly grow on trees but we have m, and should be able to, land some. Our last elite pass rush guy was Sneezy.

A very good QB and a very good pass Rush DE / OLB....are the biggest game changers imo. And we are sorely in need of improving both aspects.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...-tech-defense/INUHUQJ9gR2Fk6SDDAos7H/amp.html

We are heading into week 5 of the season and I am amazed by what is admitted in this article. Basically saying please run a hurry up/ 2 minute offense on us, we cannot keep up.

Into the season and we have severe miscommunication on 10-15% of our plays??? That's probably slightly above average on other teams, but sheesh. I'd assume average is about 5-7% of plays. We are more than likely double the average. Yes it's a new defense, but how and why was this not corrected after USF??? Sounds like Clemson didn't beat us, we literally didn't know what we were doing out there.... I have a feeling there is some confidence issues in the defense due to lack of play calling quickly enough.

Play calls from the sideline are not coming to the field fast enough. D players , all 11, are facing the sideline with great focus and nothing is coming EXCEPT the O is lining up to run a play. It happened repeatedly at BDS this past Saturday. This should get fixed. Also on several occasions sub players were coming in very late and sprinting to the wrong spot only then desperately trying to find their spot (which side of the field) as the ball was being snapped. It would seem to greatly help the D if the play calling was more timely and the players to be subbed were in the loop..

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm on record as saying I think CNW was a good hire, though not a great hire, with the possibility of becoming a great hire. Even had we stolen Venables from Clemson, it was going to take time to fix our D. For once I passed on the preseason kool-aid. :D
We seem to be looking at every mistake on defense, but I don't think it is that bad. Seriously. That first TD pass in the corner of the EZ to the Renfrow kid was a first rate, NFL throw to a receiver pretty well covered. Over one defender, just beating another coming up. Not sure you can defense a play like that. And give up the Venables or any other coordinator from any program with national championship aspirations. On the one hand we read on the board the many shortcomings of Tech, and then immediately say never mind, we can get a guy who can have his pick of jobs when he decides the time is right, and is coming out of a program where the head ball coach is pulling in about $6 million. I thought this was an engineering school, and engineers were supposed to be logical and process driven. Goodness, throw football on the table and we go nuts. Well, you all go nuts. My brain works on the other half. We can be better. We should be better. But not NC contender better. Just not going to happen.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Play calls from the sideline are not coming to the field fast enough. D players , all 11, are facing the sideline with great focus and nothing is coming EXCEPT the O is lining up to run a play. It happened repeatedly at BDS this past Saturday. This should get fixed. Also on several occasions sub players were coming in very late and sprinting to the wrong spot only then desperately trying to find their spot (which side of the field) as the ball was being snapped. It would seem to greatly help the D if the play calling was more timely and the players to be subbed were in the loop..

I’m pretty sure the CB or safety, can’t remember which he plays, said they plays are getting there fast enough it’s that the guys are lining up wrong or out of position. He called himself out and said he was looking in the backfield and didn’t go where he was suppose to

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We seem to be looking at every mistake on defense, but I don't think it is that bad. Seriously. That first TD pass in the corner of the EZ to the Renfrow kid was a first rate, NFL throw to a receiver pretty well covered. Over one defender, just beating another coming up. Not sure you can defense a play like that. And give up the Venables or any other coordinator from any program with national championship aspirations. On the one hand we read on the board the many shortcomings of Tech, and then immediately say never mind, we can get a guy who can have his pick of jobs when he decides the time is right, and is coming out of a program where the head ball coach is pulling in about $6 million. I thought this was an engineering school, and engineers were supposed to be logical and process driven. Goodness, throw football on the table and we go nuts. Well, you all go nuts. My brain works on the other half. We can be better. We should be better. But not NC contender better. Just not going to happen.

I agree. My point still stands. I just don't believe GT is in a position to make a great hire, so we have to make a good hire and hope it pans out into a great hire.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Communication was 1 problem no doubt, along with being physically inferior to the opponent, lack of experience in this new defense, defending against a qb that made some clutch throws, trying to bail out an offense that deflated all momentum, and according to one AJC article one defender didn’t tie his cleat tight enough. (I realize Ken didn’t give the cleat issue much emphasis)

At the end of the day we got beat by a better team. Sure communication needs improving and getting lined up has been an ongoing issue here at Tech prior to CNW’s arrival. Fast pace offenses are a challenge to a lot of schools, but it’s even more glaring when you’re not physically dominant enough to make up for it. I actually think the defense does look improved despite some lapses and the kids seem to be playing hard.

Last edited:

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I bring this up because it seems to be a coaching issue. I've seen a plethora of other programs switch d coordinating or o coordinating and have more success with just being in the right spot. It's okay hitting the wrong gap, or being in a wrong zone, but these kids aren't even on the right side of the field. Literally being told 4 seconds before the ball is hiked, where to be, on probably 10-15%of the plays.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I bring this up because it seems to be a coaching issue. I've seen a plethora of other programs switch d coordinating or o coordinating and have more success with just being in the right spot. It's okay hitting the wrong gap, or being in a wrong zone, but these kids aren't even on the right side of the field. Literally being told 4 seconds before the ball is hiked, where to be, on probably 10-15%of the plays.

I definitely think it’s an area we can improve.