Miscommunication???

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...-tech-defense/INUHUQJ9gR2Fk6SDDAos7H/amp.html

We are heading into week 5 of the season and I am amazed by what is admitted in this article. Basically saying please run a hurry up/ 2 minute offense on us, we cannot keep up.

Into the season and we have severe miscommunication on 10-15% of our plays??? That's probably slightly above average on other teams, but sheesh. I'd assume average is about 5-7% of plays. We are more than likely double the average. Yes it's a new defense, but how and why was this not corrected after USF??? Sounds like Clemson didn't beat us, we literally didn't know what we were doing out there.... I have a feeling there is some confidence issues in the defense due to lack of play calling quickly enough.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I know very little about how a defense calls plays - I wish I knew more - but I can tell you that was ALL I was talking about during the Clemson game on defense - get ready, Defense - what are you doing out there? Why aren't you set and ready to go? It seemed to me as if they were not communicating quickly from the sidelines and often were not ready for a snap. I saw Rivera's hand motion to Simmons with the blown coverage for a TD. Simmons never even looked at the receiver - he clearly thought his job was to focus on something else.

Perhaps this will be fixed soon with more experience. Unfortunately, D is in a transition year. It's easy to forget these are still "kids" in a lot of ways. (especially when they are physically VERY grown up) Part of what makes college football so much more enjoyable than the pros is that anything can happen. And the 2 minute drill before the half and the end of the game are my favorite because of that as long as we are not playing! We have yet to figure out how to deal with this crazy time period, and I hold my breath during that time every game hoping we'll avoid disaster.

I'm discouraged that Bowling Green is a hurry up offense, but hopeful since we realize the issue we might be able to correct it!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Let's see, other than Malik Rivera, every defensive player on this team was recruited for a different system. Other than a handful of True Freshman, every defensive player on this team is getting used to a new method of play calling. I honestly don't know why you are shocked that there are miscommunications on D.

I kind of expected a rough year defensively, considering all the changes. What's been most encouraging is that so far, some of the mistakes early seem to be getting corrected. By the end of this year we will have a better idea of how effective this D can be. I expect this unit to keep improving game by game.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Let's see, other than Malik Rivera, every defensive player on this team was recruited for a different system. Other than a handful of True Freshman, every defensive player on this team is getting used to a new method of play calling. I honestly don't know why you are shocked that there are miscommunications on D.

I kind of expected a rough year defensively, considering all the changes. What's been most encouraging is that so far, some of the mistakes early seem to be getting corrected. By the end of this year we will have a better idea of how effective this D can be. I expect this unit to keep improving game by game.

I agree, but not getting the plays out on time is odd

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree, but not getting the plays out on time is odd

It's problematic, but I don't know that it's entirely unusual. Clemson runs one of the best hurry-up offenses in NCAA football. It's designed to produce just this kind of confusion on D. It takes experience by both the DC and the players to handle it properly. BGSU also runs a hurry up O, but I doubt we'll look anywhere near as bad playing them. For one, the Clemson game will be good prep, and for two, they won't run it anywhere close to the efficiency the Tigers did.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

You are right most were hoping but realistically if we would have thought about it we should have known this was going to take awhile.
For those wanting CPJ gone understand that it will happen again only maybe 2 or 3 years . ( I'm still on the fence I like to wait and see after the season )

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You are right most were hoping but realistically if we would have thought about it we should have known this was going to take awhile.
For those wanting CPJ gone understand that it will happen again only maybe 2 or 3 years . ( I'm still on the fence I like to wait and see after the season )

I'm on record as saying I think CNW was a good hire, though not a great hire, with the possibility of becoming a great hire. Even had we stolen Venables from Clemson, it was going to take time to fix our D. For once I passed on the preseason kool-aid. :D

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
It is expected, but I hope the team progresses as the season goes on. That's how you know they are learning. If we are still having these issues in game 8 or 9 then maybe we should worry. We, as fans, also have to recognize that our players may have high IQs but that doesn't necessarily mean they have high football IQs and it might take a while to get it together.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
players have got to recognize and communicate.....so lets quit whining and do your job guys....coaches get the calls in faster...or have a default you play (base)....CPJ you worry about offense and special teams...you hired CNW let him do his job or fire him...am so freaking tired of excuses

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The biggest pre-season concern - so far as I could tell - about the D here was always the inexperience of the DBs and the new D they were playing in. Bingo!

The D is actually playing better against the run; after the first quarter, the Tiggers had -3 yards on the ground and we had a sack and several tackles for no gain or a loss. That got better for them during game due to the O not staying on the field, but you could see things were progressing. The DBs, however, often looked at sea out there, as was suspected and feared early on.

I said before the season that I expected our D to have about the same overall standing it did last year, but that we should have more "disruption plays". Sure enough, that appears to be what is going on. As the season goes on we should get better at where we should be and what we should do. I hope.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I wont mention names but the interviews are on this site in which 2 players speak directly to the communications issue. One says he was looking at the wrong signal caller on the side line (Id make one wear a bright red shirt and the other a bright yellow one). The other player said that communication during pre snap sets was a problem and specifically said it should not be happening at this point. He cited the example of communicating with your partner on stunting and covering the gaps at the same time.

They know where the issues are, which is progress.

As for me I really think they are getting better. There were times when it looked like they were all on the same page Saturday

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As for me I really think they are getting better. There were times when it looked like they were all on the same page Saturday

Agreed. It can be sometimes hard to tell when you're playing a team like Clemson. They can make experienced defenses look silly.

My biggest positive takeaway was the first quarter play of the D. Before they got gassed from the O not sustaining drives, and before the Clemson O wore them down, they were pretty effective.

Deleted member 2897

Agreed. It can be sometimes hard to tell when you're playing a team like Clemson. They can make experienced defenses look silly.

My biggest positive takeaway was the first quarter play of the D. Before they got gassed from the O not sustaining drives, and before the Clemson O wore them down, they were pretty effective.

I agree. And we drove the ball all the way down the field on offense.......and then TaQuon got hurt and had to leave the game. It seemed like after that most everything went to hell in a handbasket for a long time.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
HOW ARE STUDENT ATHLETES MAKING MISTAKES EARLY IN THE SEASON WHEN THERE WAS A NEW DEFENSE INSTALLED, AND WE HAVE YOUNG PLAYERS IN THE BACK FIELD, AND WE HAVE GONE UP AGAINST A FEW HUNH TEAMS, AND THEY ARE ALSO ADJUSTING TO COLLEGE LIFE, AND WORKING ON THINGS OTHER THAN JUST FOOTBALL, AND AND AND ANXIETY AND ANGUISH!!!!!!

Am I doing this right?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
HOW ARE STUDENT ATHLETES MAKING MISTAKES EARLY IN THE SEASON WHEN THERE WAS A NEW DEFENSE INSTALLED, AND WE HAVE YOUNG PLAYERS IN THE BACK FIELD, AND WE HAVE GONE UP AGAINST A FEW HUNH TEAMS, AND THEY ARE ALSO ADJUSTING TO COLLEGE LIFE, AND WORKING ON THINGS OTHER THAN JUST FOOTBALL, AND AND AND ANXIETY AND ANGUISH!!!!!!

Am I doing this right?

I don’t like the ALL CAPS. It makes it seem like you are yelling or you think we are dumb. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Am I doing this right?

It is fine to have "quotes" from players (Mitchell quote) but talk is cheap.I can't get out of my head the FIRST play on the pitt game when they ran it for 7 yds off LT.Mitchell did not react quickly to the ball and close the gap.
The FIRST play and they proved that they could run on us even when we're not tired.So RUN TO BALL is easy to say....