Miscellaneous, GT Football News

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s reading it backwards—it’s UNC that’s scared of us.

But the “orange” joke is well done
That’s what it is saying. “School” column is the one who is scared and “team” column is who they’re scared of. UNC is scared of us because of the upsets the last couple years.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s reading it backwards—it’s UNC that’s scared of us.

But the “orange” joke is well done
I gotta say, UNC is the scariest ACC opponent on our schedule for me. Their passing game looked outstanding in the spring. On top of their already great receiver core, the amount of plays McCollum made was terrifying. Sims is lucky he had a guy like Nate to boost his stock.
Clemson’s defense is talked up to be even better this year, but I’m not sold on their QB so I’ve got them in close 2nd for difficulty.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I gotta say, UNC is the scariest ACC opponent on our schedule for me. Their passing game looked outstanding in the spring. On top of their already great receiver core, the amount of plays McCollum made was terrifying. Sims is lucky he had a guy like Nate to boost his stock.
Clemson’s defense is talked up to be even better this year, but I’m not sold on their QB so I’ve got them in close 2nd for difficulty.
Don't use a Spring game to develop an assessment. GT's passing game looked incredible in the GT Spring game. Key then said after the game that the defense was limited to a handful of plays. If the coach can call both the offense and the defense, he can ensure that one side looks very good. You will even hear some coaches just before the first game say that they think they know what they have on the team, but they are eager to play against outside competition to be sure. I am not saying that UNC won't have a very good passing game, just that you can't predict that based on something that was 100% controlled by UNC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

UNC had a terrific passing attack last year with the same QB (Maye, 4300+ yards passing 38 TDs). As bad as our defense was last year, we held UNC and Maye to their worst statistical performance of the year on offense.

This time of the year, I worry about everyone on our schedule. Point is, you play the game on the field because sometimes you just match up better against certain teams (or you don't match up well at all).

You have to like how we played once Key took over. Just a much better overall team. Now Key has his own staff, has an offseason/Spring/Fall to work with players the way he wants, and he's getting his own players in. This will be a different team than what the ACC saw the last 4 seasons. You never know, it may be UNC/the rest of the ACC that will say "GT is the scariest ACC opponent on our schedule". I'm sure a few teams said that once Key established his ability to coach this team and upset Pitt and UNC.

BTW...does anyone realize we finished at 0.500 in the ACC last season?

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Hard to believe UVA didn't finish in the top 10 in 1990 with the team they had - we really crushed their season that year
Their Heisman-favorite QB Shawn Moore got hurt after our game. We knocked them down from #1 to #11, then they got back in the top 10. Then they lost their last three to Maryland, VT, and a bowl game to #10 Tennessee.

If Moore stayed healthy, they’d have been well in the top 10.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Bullsh!t. Brent Key is definitely top 10...and the other guys in the top 10 would be lucky to survive with Key.

If TFG were a head coach somewhere, would he have made the list? (Just joking, people, but I couldn’t resist. TFG will live forever in Tech football lore.)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

I want to like this, but 10 years is too long to be absent.
Anybody think one of those teams will finish top 10 in NEXT 10 years? Not trying to be a jerk... the current landscape makes top 10 pretty hard for that list.

I suppose Miami has best shot based on funding/NIL but they still need to get much better.

slugboy

Staff member
Anybody think one of those teams will finish top 10 in NEXT 10 years? Not trying to be a jerk... the current landscape makes top 10 pretty hard for that list.

I suppose Miami has best shot based on funding/NIL but they still need to get much better.
UNC and Pitt have gotten close to top 10 in the past 5 years.
UNC peaked at 13th last year, 10th the year before, and 5th the year before that.
In the same span, Pitt was 17th, 13th, and 21st.
One good year, and they’re top 10 teams.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I know this much... the next top ten finisher won’t change the order.
;)

Wonder if this was done for other conferences / divisons.... outside of the SEC West, I would expect all of them to look extremely top heavy.