Miscellaneous, GT Football News

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
UNC and Pitt have gotten close to top 10 in the past 5 years.
UNC peaked at 13th last year, 10th the year before, and 5th the year before that.
In the same span, Pitt was 17th, 13th, and 21st.
One good year, and they’re top 10 teams.

Agree - UNC is to the ACC as the U of Texas is to Old SWC. No matter what they think they are better due to class. They are on a great qb run, but have had poor defense. They have lots of acc schools nesr them and that competition will be a long term drag on that group.

I like the grit of Pitt. Aaron Daniels of Pitt started the CHAMPIONSHIP FUND w $10million donation. They are going to regress.

If we didnt have the guant debt and if we got with it on a championship - we could regularly be in top 20-30 and get in top 10 occasionally = a great program, great city, great recruiting.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I want to like this, but 10 years is too long to be absent.
Imagine, UVA was number 1 in the country in mid fall of 1990. Undefeated, untied, perfectly balanced attack. They had everything in front of them with an excellent offensive line, a great quarterback, tremendous receivers and a fine running back. The defense was considered to be pretty good though not top shelf then Shawn Jones and company exposed them with a fourth quarter comeback for the ages. It all went tumbling down with four, I think, more losses including the bowl game. It can happen just that fast.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Anybody think one of those teams will finish top 10 in NEXT 10 years? Not trying to be a jerk... the current landscape makes top 10 pretty hard for that list.

I suppose Miami has best shot based on funding/NIL but they still need to get much better.
Miami is Miami. Always talented, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. It has been twenty years since Miami was on top of the college football world. 2003 seems like a long time ago. It may take Mario a while but we will see. Miami's last three losses last year were to FSU, Clemson, and Pitt. They gave up about 40 points a game in each loss and collectively only scored 29.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Bullsh!t. Brent Key is definitely top 10...and the other guys in the top 10 would be lucky to survive with Key.

Ridiculous. These guys are not boxing and they sure are not playing. Bobby Dodd was the antithesis of what most people thought a football coach should look like but he was the one coach that Bear Bryant feared looking across the sideline. He once told an assistant coach: "We would have it made...if it were not for that damn Dodd."

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Imagine, UVA was number 1 in the country in mid fall of 1990. Undefeated, untied, perfectly balanced attack. They had everything in front of them with an excellent offensive line, a great quarterback, tremendous receivers and a fine running back. The defense was considered to be pretty good though not top shelf then Shawn Jones and company exposed them with a fourth quarter comeback for the ages. It all went tumbling down with four, I think, more losses including the bowl game. It can happen just that fast.
I think they lost at least one KEY player after our game,Never we the same.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
1692496201193.jpeg