Miscellaneous, GT Football News

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Congratulations to all of these fine coaches and players.

My favorite - and I'm very glad to see him in the HoF - is Mackel Harris. He is a prototypical Tech diamond in the rough. How many people - then and now - would have recruited a 6', 180 Lb? But Pepper saw something that others didn't: he cut a 4.5 40. I used to really enjoy watching Harris run right around blockers, taking angles never thought to any LB, and tackle RBs from behind. He was fast as lightening.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

My favorite - and I'm very glad to see him in the HoF - is Mackel Harris. He is a prototypical Tech diamond in the rough. How many people - then and now - would have recruited a 6', 180 Lb? But Pepper saw something that others didn't: he cut a 4.5 40. I used to really enjoy watching Harris run right around blockers, taking angles never thought to any LB, and tackle RBs from behind. He was fast as lightening.

I agree with you about Harris. I have always thought that the top dozen or so players on Rogers' teams during his tenure were the best talent I have ever seen a coach recruit to Tech. Just so many guys that were clear NFL prospects even with running that dadgum wishbone. Depth, however, was an issue but that has been the case for all of our coaches in my time as a fan.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete

IIRC Harris was also the 1975 State AA - then the 2nd largest classification in GA - 100 & 220 Yard Dash Champions for the Americus track team.

The 1975 14-0 Americus FB team won their 2nd consecutive state title 34-0 vs Dalton after also going 14-0 the previous year (beat West Rome with future GT punter Harper Brown). Harris was a two-time 1st team All-State lineman & the 1975 AJC AA Lineman of the Year.

He may have been a "diamond in the rough," but he dominated at his level in HS & was hardly unnoticed. With his speed & going against today's pass-happy offenses, he'd prob be a S or Cover Corner instead of an OLB.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

yep, the first time I saw him at practice with no shirt as Fr he was scary--looked like a chiseled stature of GRANITE. That with speed made him special.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The more academic schools are at the bottom. Maybe their fans don't have their egos dependent on the success of their athletic teams.