Mid season questions answered... where to from here

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
We gotta get our Mathew Jordon power run/midline/rain package going

For what? I have seen enough 3rd/4th and short not be converted with MJ in there over the past couple of years to be comfortable with leaving TM in and running our short game package as is. TM is a lot different with respect to his inside running than JT was. TM is more of a dynamic AB with passing ability, as opposed to JT who was a QB with dynamic running ability. All of that to say this, TM has shown that he is more than capable of handling the inside running game. I think there is a reason we haven't seen the flip flopping like we saw in he past and I trust CPJ to run what he feels is best on a particular Saturday.

Animal02

Banned
I really don't think we know too much about this team yet because the schedule is so weirdly back loaded. Tennessee, Jacksonville State, Pitt, and UNC are going to be the easiest games we'll play this year, so I don't know how our performances are going to predict the tough schedule we have left with Clemson, VT, Duke, and UGA.

I can really only look at the last two games and the team that played Miami was all over the place on both sides with our guys doing something great on offense/defense one drive and then collapsing on the next. The rain and injuries didn't really help. Wake was similar with the first half and second half being so different.

When this team is good, it's really good. When this team is bad, it's really bad. I think the fact we seem so boom-or-bust means we absolutely have a chance of winning out or going 2/3 with the big 3 left, however if we start busting hard we might barely make a bowl. Depth on OLine is hurting us, and as good as Benson is there are some things he can't do and we need a different type of back for that. Jerry is looking like the answer but he's a true freshman, so I understand why we aren't using him more.

ST are probably where we thought they would be. Kickers can take time to mature so we should get a little better as the season goes on.
Really cannot use Miami as a benchmark. 2nd half was played in a monsoon on a crap field without the starting BB, and we still came within one play of defeating a top 20 team.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
For what? I have seen enough 3rd/4th and short not be converted with MJ in there over the past couple of years to be comfortable with leaving TM in and running our short game package as is. TM is a lot different with respect to his inside running than JT was. TM is more of a dynamic AB with passing ability, as opposed to JT who was a QB with dynamic running ability. All of that to say this, TM has shown that he is more than capable of handling the inside running game. I think there is a reason we haven't seen the flip flopping like we saw in he past and I trust CPJ to run what he feels is best on a particular Saturday.

Easy Francis, I meant (kinda kidding) if it comes another monsoon like vs. Miami

The issue on offense is a lack of quality depth at B-back and offensive tackle. The offense is still very good. However, Benson would be third string without the offseason attrition (which should serve as a guide to how well we’ve actually recruited, contrary to what Rivals and Mark Bradley may think). At tackle, we’ve lost so many players through the past couple of seasons, but Marshall and Chris Griffin are noticeable. Griffin would almost certainly be the starter as a RS-Senior this year, and Marshall would be starting as a senior, too. We’d have upperclassmen at every position on the field on offense, except center and left guard. That’d be pretty damn difficult to stop.

Don't agree that Benson would be third. As much as people loved Mills, at his point in the season here is how they stand

Mills all of last year 162 carries 771 yards 5.1 per carry
Benson 117 carries 652 yards 5.6 per carry.

Benson is much faster and frankly breaks more tackles.
Our big los was Marshall.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Really cannot use Miami as a benchmark. 2nd half was played in a monsoon on a crap field without the starting BB, and we still came within one play of defeating a top 20 team.

We were up and down in the first half as well going into halftime 14-13 with some good drives and some terrible ones. Same thing on defense.

And the injury thing is relevant going forward because it does speak to how much we drop off at certain positions. If KB doesn't have to come off the field against the big 3 then we're good. If he gets dinged up we're looking at Quaide and a freshman as our rotation and things will get ugly with our lack of perimeter game so far. As far as questions being answered I think that game showed us how razor thin we are after an injury, monsoon or not. Not bashing the backups, and I think we can survive it against Duke and UVA, but I think we have to have our top guys to beat VT, Clemson, and UGA this year.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Where from here? To win these big games-
1.The DEf is better but-Somehow the Def has got to come up with TOs.Not easy but that is how you get easy points. and/or--some big plays on STs-runbacks, punt blocks, etc
2.We need to pass more effectively--that is how you keep the Dbs from rushing to the LOS for our the runs.The pass blocking needs to be better.When we pass it usually a surprise and we should be able get a jump on the DL for blocking .Stewart has got to get back to being a threat .Also using the Abacks better in pass game. All of this is easier said than done.
3.The ST coverage has got to improve--NO big plays.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I didn't fault Johnson for that play calling at all. It didn't work out, and that's unfortunate, but look at all the games prior: a ridiculous amount of fumbling. Johnson basically said: 'We cannot fumble the ball and win this game. I will not let us fumble the ball,' and we didn't fumble the ball. (If we had fumbled, imagine the narrative). We narrowly lost, unfortunate.

Stop thinking about hypothetical pasts. They aren't real, they didn't happen. We are not an undefeated team.

I wasn't intending to criticize the play calling at all. I was merely stating reasons why our offense in particular is hurt more by bad field conditions.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Don't agree that Benson would be third. As much as people loved Mills, at his point in the season here is how they stand

Mills all of last year 162 carries 771 yards 5.1 per carry
Benson 117 carries 652 yards 5.6 per carry.

Benson is much faster and frankly breaks more tackles.
Our big los was Marshall.
Yeah, I mean you might be right. Benson has been terrific so far. But having Mills or Marshall to rotate with him would have been a load.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Styles can complement each other. Depth is good. Fresh legs churn harder. Injuries need a rest. I mean no disrespect for any player and all the hard work they put into the game when I talk about Mills and or Howard.