Mid season questions answered... where to from here

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you told me GT would have an FEI defense of rank of 42 (which does not include the WF game), I would say we would be undefeated. GT is not undefeated but is only missing this level of play by 2 plays.

The offense has been off/different and I cannot put my figure on the issue. They have been good, but why have they not been great. A top 25 offense is nothing to sneeze at, but why are they not a top 5. Also, why is the offense having trouble finishing in their bread and butter 10 yard redzone area? I love Benson (and this next statement is not meant to take anything away from him), and I think missing the experienced BBacks / depth may have resulted in different outcomes. Could you imagine the same last play against Tennessee that GT ran against BC in 2016 with Mills? Both of these two missing players do not negate two missed field goals and 2 fumbles. Mills could have been available in the second half in the monsoon against Miami. I am not crying over spilled milk, just trying to put a finger on what has seemed different/odd about 2017 offense.

The red zone issues may be more about hitting the right person on the OL. I do miss more redzone visits that end like Howards (or even Bensons last run). The WF game looked more like our offense in the second half. I do like death marches, but GT needs more breakaway TDs. Add in the lack of touches for the Abacks to that difference that I cannot completely identify.

The defense has had their ups and downs. But I have seen press coverage, disguised blitzes, safeties closer than 20 yards to the LOS, QB sacks and more 3 and out than I have seen in a long time. 3rd down is no longer an easy 1st down. I hear you on the last drive of the Miami game. I hear you on the last 4 TDs in the Tennessee game. I want a top 25 defense too and so do the players. They have come a long ways from 94 to 46.

Special teams needs to have a fall glow if GT wishes to finish strong against so many top 25 teams. There is no overlooking Duke and Virginia or GT will suffer the fate of Clemson, LSU, and Oklahoma. No game is a loss and no game is a given. Come on fall triple option glow, let the turning color of the leaves turn our defense into a stone wall, and lets see the special teams jump at least 30 FEI ranks in the last half of the season.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
The offensive line is not that good, can't pass protect, can't make the right blocks. Marshall's passing makes it harder to hit our rarely open receivers. Them's the breaks. We need receivers who are bigger threats and we need to be more consistent blocking.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The offense has been off/different and I cannot put my figure on the issue.

I'm sure someone will point out stats that says I'm wrong, but it just feels like we have a really hard time getting tough yards this year when we need them...which is something we've been great at in the past. The ability to grind out a drive or death march just isn't there and we also struggle in the red zone when we've got less space to work. Just my observation.

If we're able to somehow figure that out, then good luck to everyone else, because we ain't gonna lose again the way our defense is playing.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The offensive line is not that good, can't pass protect, can't make the right blocks. Marshall's passing makes it harder to hit our rarely open receivers. Them's the breaks. We need receivers who are bigger threats and we need to be more consistent blocking.

I think they're OK...the problem is that they're just so thin. Tough to be good when you've only got 5-6 guys for the entire game

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think they're OK...the problem is that they're just so thin. Tough to be good when you've only got 5-6 guys for the entire game
I agree the 6 we have I'm happy with may be the best 6 OL we have had in years . Lack of depth is a killer because our offense is on the field a lot. Will has to play 3 positions just so we can give a player time to rest . playing in 3 places on the OL not an easy job.
TQM needs to look at the other Receivers and not only Jeune

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In the last half of w f am very glad we showed what can happen to an over pursuing defense. The long runs should keep clemson , vt,or uga from going full aggressive early. I am most concerned that early in the game we get a lot of 3 and very longs that lead to obvious pass downs. .
I think we will block better and 'gradually the clemson, vt or uga defense will try to do extra to stop us from converting 3 or 4 th down. Then coach will burn them. Once we settle in we will get our points. I think we can hold their offense if they try to be conservative. If they just go fo r long passes I am not confident .
As we get them nervous about" THEM NOT looking like a playoff team", i think they will make errors on which our db will capitalize.

In the dream season the team plays tough against all three and we break a big play for a clear g t win in what what was a close hard fought game. I say this because our o l is grizzled hardened by game experience and coach on their axx and shamire knows how to legally hold) & our skill players are hitting stride. The defense shows they are for real .

That's my scenario for a dream season. Each guy on the team believes . .
I think this is a very good team.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I agree the 6 we have I'm happy with may be the best 6 OL we have had in years . Lack of depth is a killer because our offense is on the field a lot. Will has to play 3 positions just so we can give a player time to rest . playing in 3 places on the OL not an easy job.
TQM needs to look at the other Receivers and not only Jeune

Losing Marshall and having the Morgans out pretty much all year killed our depth. Gotta overcome that though...

We've had issues looking through the receiver progression for years. We've only got 3 on most routes, and it seems like we rarely get past the first read.

Ok, I am reading all this and going huh? We rolled up over 650 yards of offense on Tennessee. We are number 2 in the nation in rushing. We are number 2 in third down conversions. Passing is down but if you go back and look at the first 6 games in 2014 we are right about at the same level. Benson is out pacing Mills by a large margin in yards per game as is Quon out pacing JT at this point as well. The one bad spot was second half Miami when we lost Benson and the field turned to mush in a monsoon.
The reason the A backs are not getting as much in running is because teams are flowing outside to shut them down.

Death marches, haven't you all watched a game? We are crushing it in time of possession. We are averaging 37 points a game. We have two losses because of a fumble and missed field goal in game one, and a lucky bounce and dropped pass in game 2. We have soundly beaten everybody else.

Animal02

Banned
If you told me GT would have an FEI defense of rank of 42 (which does not include the WF game), I would say we would be undefeated. GT is not undefeated but is only missing this level of play by 2 plays.

The offense has been off/different and I cannot put my figure on the issue. They have been good, but why have they not been great. A top 25 offense is nothing to sneeze at, but why are they not a top 5. Also, why is the offense having trouble finishing in their bread and butter 10 yard redzone area? I love Benson (and this next statement is not meant to take anything away from him), and I think missing the experienced BBacks / depth may have resulted in different outcomes. Could you imagine the same last play against Tennessee that GT ran against BC in 2016 with Mills? Both of these two missing players do not negate two missed field goals and 2 fumbles. Mills could have been available in the second half in the monsoon against Miami. I am not crying over spilled milk, just trying to put a finger on what has seemed different/odd about 2017 offense.

The red zone issues may be more about hitting the right person on the OL. I do miss more redzone visits that end like Howards (or even Bensons last run). The WF game looked more like our offense in the second half. I do like death marches, but GT needs more breakaway TDs. Add in the lack of touches for the Abacks to that difference that I cannot completely identify.

The defense has had their ups and downs. But I have seen press coverage, disguised blitzes, safeties closer than 20 yards to the LOS, QB sacks and more 3 and out than I have seen in a long time. 3rd down is no longer an easy 1st down. I hear you on the last drive of the Miami game. I hear you on the last 4 TDs in the Tennessee game. I want a top 25 defense too and so do the players. They have come a long ways from 94 to 46.

Special teams needs to have a fall glow if GT wishes to finish strong against so many top 25 teams. There is no overlooking Duke and Virginia or GT will suffer the fate of Clemson, LSU, and Oklahoma. No game is a loss and no game is a given. Come on fall triple option glow, let the turning color of the leaves turn our defense into a stone wall, and lets see the special teams jump at least 30 FEI ranks in the last half of the season.
Some of it is poor decisions by a rookie QB. We have seen it before with JT, TW and JN. Not unexpected, and the O is still a please to watch......(Wake's O was downright boring.)

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I am reading all this and going huh? We rolled up over 650 yards of offense on Tennessee. We are number 2 in the nation in rushing. We are number 2 in third down conversions. Passing is down but if you go back and look at the first 6 games in 2014 we are right about at the same level. Benson is out pacing Mills by a large margin in yards per game as is Quon out pacing JT at this point as well. The one bad spot was second half Miami when we lost Benson and the field turned to mush in a monsoon.
The reason the A backs are not getting as much in running is because teams are flowing outside to shut them down.

Death marches, haven't you all watched a game? We are crushing it in time of possession. We are averaging 37 points a game. We have two losses because of a fumble and missed field goal in game one, and a lucky bounce and dropped pass in game 2. We have soundly beaten everybody else.

Everything you say is true. But it is also true that we are leaving a lot on the field with bonehead plays. We should be undefeated right now and a top 10 team. But instead we are the best 2 loss team in the country

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Everything you say is true. But it is also true that we are leaving a lot on the field with bonehead plays. We should be undefeated right now and a top 10 team. But instead we are the best 2 loss team in the country
Which is not perfect but really really really good. Let’s enjoy the ride and support this team to the hilt. These young men are making me proud to be a Jacket!!!!!

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, that blindside sack on TM didn't happen against wake, nope.
No u r looking for perfect. Overalll we r doing much much better than u r suggesting. Yes we have made a few mistakes but we have kicked butt many more times. Our only problem is depth. Due mainly due to injuries or transfers. That O line is formidable in so many ways. Not perfect like u want but really good. Don’t let perfectionism be the measure of this team! Look around no team is perfect (except maybe Alabama ugggh). I love the fight in this team!!!!

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, that blindside sack on TM didn't happen against wake, nope.
No u r looking for perfect. Overalll we r doing much much better than u r suggesting. Yes we have made a few mistakes but we have kicked butt many more times. Our only problem is depth. Due mainly due to injuries or transfers. That O line is formidable in so many ways. Not perfect like u want but really good. Don’t let perfectionism be the measure of this team! Look around no team is perfect (except maybe Alabama ugggh). I love the fight in this team!!!!