Michigan State Mess

Deleted member 2897

Here is one of the interviews I was referring to. This is not how an innocent person conducts an interview. This is going to get really bad for him. As it should.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So is the NCAA going to do something? This is clearly lack of institutional control. Am I right?

On the contrary, I'd say this was the epitome of institutional control. They had a clear set of goals and executed them to a "T".

I can't stand reporters.

Why? You can't stand the truth?!

I'm kidding. I kinda hate "journalists" too. They're beyond arrogant. They serve a purpose at times though.

Milwaukee

Banned
Apparently Mich St actually sued ESPN over the weekend. I hope ESPN is found to be overstepping but also hope anyone that covered anything up is toast. ESPN lives for this stuff, they are TMZ, have been for a decade now. They don't care about any victim, they want the drama that produces the clicks. I'm all for making money as a business but don't sell us this fake outrage.

Deleted member 2897

Apparently Mich St actually sued ESPN over the weekend. I hope ESPN is found to be overstepping but also hope anyone that covered anything up is toast. ESPN lives for this stuff, they are TMZ, have been for a decade now. They don't care about any victim, they want the drama that produces the clicks. I'm all for making money as a business but don't sell us this fake outrage.

Well yesterday I said, "Yep, but won’t answer questions. I can’t figure out if he’s taking the UNC defense, the Penn State defense or the Baylor defense. Either way it should be interesting to watch."

I guess that answers it - they are taking the UNC defense. Time to get the popcorn.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Ah man, you made it seem like they sued BSPN because BSPN did something improper. That's not necessarily the case. They're basically saying MichSt was asked to seal the reports BSPN is seeking to view. I don't see that as BSPN overstepping. Smells more like them trying to loophole their way to hiding some potentially inflammatory reports.

You're putting me in a bad position here, Milw. You're putting my hatred for BSPN against the disdain I have for these MichSt folks. Who do I hate less?!

All in all, I agree this is BSPN TMZing themselves. At the same time, I do feel MichSt leadership shares some blame here.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So is the NCAA going to do something? This is clearly lack of institutional control. Am I right?

Lack of institutional control for NCAA is related to violations of NCAA rules, not the law. The NCAA shouldn't be involved. The people that should do something are police and prosecutors. The people who assaulted and raped women should be in jail. The people in the school and athletic administration who covered up the crimes should be in jail. If they have to worry about MSU athletics suffering, they should do it from a jail cell and not from their own homes.

Milwaukee

Banned
People are also calling for Emmert, stating he had knowledge of all these accusations. The problem is an accusation doesn't mean your guilty nor should it. ESPN ran a smear piece on Travis Walton, PG and coach from Mich St, but the problem is the accusation of him beating up a female got tossed out in court. It was dismissed, plain and simple. So as much as it sounds dirty, you can't crucify people for that. He was not charged. It's 2018 people, the outrage is widespread like a virus.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
People are also calling for Emmert, stating he had knowledge of all these accusations.

The reports I have seen say that Redmond sent a letter to Emmert and met with him. They discussed some alleged assaults involving athletes, and Redmond's concerns that Michigan State didn't have proper procedures for addressing such situations. My issue with blaming Emmert is that he is the head of an athletic regulatory body only. He has no power or authority over the president of any university. He has no power or authority over any police organizations, or any body with police powers. He can take action in acts of violence or sexual assault involving employees of the NCAA, but he cannot take any actions against people outside of the NCAA who commit such acts because he has no authority to do so.

Regarding Nassar, there are people from Michigan State who knew what was happening, had responsibility to do something, but did nothing. The head gymnastics coach should have reported it to authorities and protected the girls. There are two doctors who are still on staff(one is a department chair and the other is a professor) that knew what he was doing and told the gymnasts that it was medically appropriate. The head gymnastics coach threatened to pull the scholarship of one of the accusers if she didn't back down. IANAL, but I would think that threatening a witness to change their testimony should at least be obstruction.

I really don't understand the obsession with having the NCAA investigate everything. The people who committed assaults should be in jail. The people who covered them up should be in jail. Nassar is in jail for something longer than two or three lifetimes. But according to some: Ohh just wait until the NCAA comes and brings the really heavy hammer down on those people:

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
The reports I have seen say that Redmond sent a letter to Emmert and met with him. They discussed some alleged assaults involving athletes, and Redmond's concerns that Michigan State didn't have proper procedures for addressing such situations. My issue with blaming Emmert is that he is the head of an athletic regulatory body only. He has no power or authority over the president of any university. He has no power or authority over any police organizations, or any body with police powers. He can take action in acts of violence or sexual assault involving employees of the NCAA, but he cannot take any actions against people outside of the NCAA who commit such acts because he has no authority to do so.

Regarding Nassar, there are people from Michigan State who knew what was happening, had responsibility to do something, but did nothing. The head gymnastics coach should have reported it to authorities and protected the girls. There are two doctors who are still on staff(one is a department chair and the other is a professor) that knew what he was doing and told the gymnasts that it was medically appropriate. The head gymnastics coach threatened to pull the scholarship of one of the accusers if she didn't back down. IANAL, but I would think that threatening a witness to change their testimony should at least be obstruction.

I really don't understand the obsession with having the NCAA investigate everything. The people who committed assaults should be in jail. The people who covered them up should be in jail. Nassar is in jail for something longer than two or three lifetimes. But according to some: Ohh just wait until the NCAA comes and brings the really heavy hammer down on those people:

Of course I think people should go to jail. I'm just surprised that the NCAA hasn't said anything. Penn State got probation after the Sandusky stuff, right?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Of course I think people should go to jail. I'm just surprised that the NCAA hasn't said anything. Penn State got probation after the Sandusky stuff, right?
They did, in large part because Penn State agreed to the sanctions. Penn State changed their minds before the sanctions were over and appealed. The NCAA backed off almost immediately.

Here is an article that pretty much mirrors my opinions on the MSU scandals and mentions Penn State. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.yo...penn-state-mistake-michigan-state/1073711001/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Ah man, you made it seem like they sued BSPN because BSPN did something improper. That's not necessarily the case. They're basically saying MichSt was asked to seal the reports BSPN is seeking to view. I don't see that as BSPN overstepping. Smells more like them trying to loophole their way to hiding some potentially inflammatory reports.

You're putting me in a bad position here, Milw. You're putting my hatred for BSPN against the disdain I have for these MichSt folks. Who do I hate less?!

All in all, I agree this is BSPN TMZing themselves. At the same time, I do feel MichSt leadership shares some blame here.

Let’s just hope Gtown keeps sucking and all is right in the world

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
For more on the ongoing dumpster fire that is MSU administration, see:

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com...d-underachieving-elites-outdoing-east-lansing

Gee, you hire a hack and you get a hack. That the Board had the chutzpah to try to stop the young woman's statement about the clown they had appointed shows just how bad the situation is.

I don't think that the pres should get blamed for this, however. His behavior, no matter how problematic, is small potatoes compared to the continuing cover-ups at MSU.