Miami vs Duke Ending

Milwaukee

Banned
I agree that's how it sounded in context, but because it it so unbelievable to me that it can happen - i.e., that's not within the rules - I'm falling back on the assumption that the ref was providing an update on everything at once. I suppose it would have been better handled to announce they were picking up the flag first prior to going to review, so with that reason there may have been a better way to handle the process. I'm sure the full explanation will come.

You guys are correct. So after the debacle they claimed that they reversed the call based on their discussion, and not the review. But that's just not true. The play was reviewed to watch for a knee down, then the official leaves the replay booth and jogs out to make his call. He says, and I quote: "It's been determined that the players knee was not down. Since there was a penalty against Miami there will be a final untimed down"...he then is interrupted by ANOTHER official over by the replay booth. So he turns the mic back on and says, and I quote: "We will review the play a second time."

He goes back to the replay booth, under the hood. He then jogs back out and announces, and I quote: "The block in question was from the side, not from behind, therefore the final result of the play is a touchdown."

Not sure I've ever seen an ending mishandled quite like that. The odd thing is that the zebras were blatantly giving Duke the ballgame with their comeback. It was very obvious from the penalties being called against Miami in the final 3 minutes.

I agree with the final ruling, I didn't think a block in the back should've been called. But they went to review to look at the block in question on the 2nd review, the official even announced such. I think immediately after the game they found their loophole for their botched using of the replay and just said that they picked up the flag based on discussion, and not video review.

Hey ACC officials: Don't pee on our leg and tell us it's raining.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was confused as well as to how they could pick up the flag after review. But I guess they decided on the field to pickup the flag for the block in the back and no knee down by tv review. Although the head ref's announcement certainly didn't make it sound that way - he suggested the flag was picked up "after review" suggesting tv review. Did you notice how all the refs were huffing and puffing - had to be a tough play for them.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can't wait to hear from @GTNavyNuke

Watched the play a few minutes ago. Karma is a b*tch Fluke, your luck ran out. You can't pick up that type flag unless it's done right away. As CPJ says, it doesn't do any good to complain and on most plays there are missed holding calls (both O and D).

But the ACC did the right thing (unintentionally) due to general incompetence. Having Fluke at the top of Coastal is a national embarrassment. Here's to @UNC, Pitt, @UVa and @Wake beating the Flukies.

Spent the morning fixing and moving my boat in the cold rain; made me feel a lot better along with this replay.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I didn't get to see the end of this game but did I read right that the refs gave Miami THREE pass interference penalties on Duke's last scoring drive?

Couldn't find any highlights. Any questionable PI calls there?

Milwaukee

Banned
I didn't get to see the end of this game but did I read right that the refs gave Miami THREE pass interference penalties on Duke's last scoring drive?

Couldn't find any highlights. Any questionable PI calls there?

Yes, 3 defensive PI's on the final drive of regulation. 25 penalties called against Miami compared to 5 called against Duke.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
For those too busy to look at the links - blow is from the AP.
The Atlantic Coast Conference threw some penalty flags of its own Sunday, suspending the officiating crew that worked the Miami-Duke game for two league contests after finding they committed "a series of errors" that allowed the Hurricanes to score a wild last-play touchdown and pull out a win.

The ACC said the crew committed four errors on that play, the most grievous being not seeing Miami running back Mark Walton's knee was down as he threw one of the eight laterals the Hurricanes used on their desperate kickoff return. If that was noticed, Duke would have prevailed since no time was left on the clock.

Per league rule, the outcome - Miami 30, Duke 27 - cannot be overturned.

Although I am certainly no Duke fan (not a Miami fan either), I think the league needs to change their rule. If the outcome of the game was affected by BAD officiating, and it was bad enough to suspend the officiating crew, then they should at the very least vacate the win, if not overturn it completely.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What's weird is that I think the video review crew could've overturned the TD by saying a player was down before the score.