Miami vs Duke Ending

Milwaukee

Banned
Miami.jpg

And the zebras call a block in the back to negate the Miami miracle. This picture was taken even before the bushleague call on the final play.

Milwaukee

Banned
Wait a minute...they called a horrible block in the back and then they picked up the flag based on the REVIEW. Can they do that???

I'm glad they did, it was a horrible call. But I didn't think you could go to review and pick up a holding call or block in the back call.

WOW

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Of course I'm not at the game but did buttcliffe send another coach out to greet Miami's coach? I didn't see him on the field after the call

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Somebody has to explain to me WHY the penalty call was reviewable???????? IIRC the ONLY penalty that can be reviewed is the targeting call! WTF is going on with the officials? Knee down or OOB fine but a block in the back penalty???? WTF!!!!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't think a penalty call was reviewable. I don't think it was really a block in the back, but if the flag was thrown, why was it reviewed?
Did they explicitly say the call was overturned by review? I got the sense that the officials got together and agreed to pick up the flag. The latter happens all the time, albeit usually not on a game changer. I agree that it was not a block in the back.

Did they explicitly say the call was overturned by review? I got the sense that the officials got together and agreed to pick up the flag. The latter happens all the time, albeit usually not on a game changer. I agree that it was not a block in the back.
When they said that the review showed no knee down, they also said the block in question was from the side. So that tells me that they overruled the call on the field as a result of the review.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
When they said that the review showed no knee down, they also said the block in question was from the side. So that tells me that they overruled the call on the field as a result of the review.
I agree that's how it sounded in context, but because it it so unbelievable to me that it can happen - i.e., that's not within the rules - I'm falling back on the assumption that the ref was providing an update on everything at once. I suppose it would have been better handled to announce they were picking up the flag first prior to going to review, so with that reason there may have been a better way to handle the process. I'm sure the full explanation will come.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I agree that's how it sounded in context, but because it it so unbelievable to me that it can happen - i.e., that's not within the rules - I'm falling back on the assumption that the ref was providing an update on everything at once. I suppose it would have been better handled to announce they were picking up the flag first prior to going to review, so with that reason there may have been a better way to handle the process. I'm sure the full explanation will come.

It just goes to lack of quality officiating across all levels of sports now, we have refs wanting to be the show instead of not doing their jobs. Their jobs are tough, not saying it isn't, but the quality of the officiating has really deteriorated over the years. Plus you do have refs that want to be in the spotlight, the NBA is notorious for this!

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
The call on the field was a touchdown. There was a flag for a block in the back. After discussion between the officials that flag was picked up. I guess!
Remember, this is the ACC.